Rutgers

Ahhh, I just got a call from a member of the adcom about a half hour ago. I spent the afternoon in deep despair--that is, listening to Morrissey and drinking a bit of wine-- because I assumed I hadn't gotten in. And then I got a call as I was sitting in a Taco Bell in Nashua, NH with friends. The one thing I've learned in this process is not to assume to early rhat you've been rejected. :)

So excited! Rutgers is a great fit for my interests and I'm looking forward to learning more about the dept.

Ahhh, I just got a call from a member of the adcom about a half hour ago. I spent the afternoon in deep despair--that is, listening to Morrissey and drinking a bit of wine-- because I assumed I hadn't gotten in. And then I got a call as I was sitting in a Taco Bell in Nashua, NH with friends. The one thing I've learned in this process is not to assume to early rhat you've been rejected. :)

So excited! Rutgers is a great fit for my interests and I'm looking forward to learning more about the dept.

Congrats, so cool! I wish an ad-com would call me at Taco Bell!

congrats!

taco bell, that's quite depressing.

Congrats and hurrah for happier dreams! Haha. :-)

Oof. At the beginning of this process it seemed so unlikely that I would get in anywhere that I thought if I could just have one acceptance I would never ask for anything more. But now that the initial high has worn off, I want more, more, MORE! Why don't you call me, Rutgers?! I need another hit! I am such a monster sometimes.

From what I know, they don't accept students in proportion by field. At least, someone told me that once...

I'm pretty sure they do, actually - I went there for undergrad and when my professors started talking to me about graduate school, they always felt the need to throw in a cautionary comment about how "we only admitted one medievalist last year." Granted, most programs can only admit an abysmally small number of medievalists (if any), but friends of mine in the graduate program also gave me the impression that periodization mattered in the application process. But who am I to say?

Anyway, all this kind of information will do is add to your speculation and stress, so just keep being optimistic - congrats to all who were accepted, and my fingers are crossed for all of you who haven't heard yet!

I'm pretty sure they do, actually - I went there for undergrad and when my professors started talking to me about graduate school, they always felt the need to throw in a cautionary comment about how "we only admitted one medievalist last year." Granted, most programs can only admit an abysmally small number of medievalists (if any), but friends of mine in the graduate program also gave me the impression that periodization mattered in the application process. But who am I to say?

I was told that basically they just sort of let the strongest applications float to the top and don't keep period "quotas." Certainly it's something they might think about, but periodization matters less than matching up with a professor or two who have similar/related interests. I'm pretty sure I got in because there are two professors with very specific subject fields related to my stated interests. But then again, I haven't talked to most of the professors on this year's adcom recently. (I'm a current student here to stalk the new admits and tell them to come to Open House, so I have heard this from "the source", so to speak, and I could not help but look at the person worrying about two Af-Am lit admits and say, "We must have admitted about 8 of those last year, and hired another person in the field since then! Stop worrying!")

[Edit: I suppose my real point is, don't give up because of what you've heard, until it's over!]

Edited by meydey

I'm pretty sure I got in because there are two professors with very specific subject fields related to my stated interests. But then again, I haven't talked to most of the professors on this year's adcom recently.

Yeah, this really can't be emphasized enough. Sometimes I think the only way I got a funded offer from the GC is how closely my work links up with some of the professors there. It really makes me wish I had applied to Northwestern in hindsight, because that would've been another great fit. I took it off the board because I had too many top tier schools... blah.

Trip, I wish we could both get accepted to Rutgers so we could meet each other at the visit weekend. I think it's the only program we had in common. At this point, though, maybe we're out of luck.

Le sigh.

Trip, I wish we could both get accepted to Rutgers so we could meet each other at the visit weekend. I think it's the only program we had in common. At this point, though, maybe we're out of luck.

Le sigh.

Le sigh indeed. Would've been a trip (...willis...and bdon)! We could still hope for waitlists at this point, and then both get in off the waitlist!

It does get a little more over with every posting, though.

Looks like GC members cleaned up in the Rutgers department! I think that's in the running for the school with the highest number of acceptances posted here, no?

Again, congrats everyone! My growing bitterness in no way diminishes my happiness for you all. Honest.

EDIT: I may need to point out that I appear to be having an extremely negative weekend. Pay no attention to me. Just let me get through a little bit of self-pity and wallowing, and then I'll act like an adult again, I promise. ;)

Edited by DorindaAfterThyrsis

It does get a little more over with every posting, though.

Looks like GC members cleaned up in the Rutgers department! I think that's in the running for the school with the highest number of acceptances posted here, no?

Again, congrats everyone! My growing bitterness in no way diminishes my happiness for you all. Honest.

EDIT: I may need to point out that I appear to be having an extremely negative weekend. Pay no attention to me. Just let me get through a little bit of self-pity and wallowing, and then I'll act like an adult again, I promise. ;)

Ugh I totally understand how you're feeling. After going 3/3 to start, I'm apparently 0/3 in the last 3 (rejection Davis; implicit rejection from Rutgers and Maryland). Some schools think I'm awesome and others not so much. Weird feeling.

I don't know what it is, but this Rutgers thread puts my stomach in a knot every time I read it. And not only am I not English lit., I don't even have an app on file with Rutgers at all!

Still wishing the best for you all.