Penn State (not acceptance post)

Hi y'all, I was the early post. Yeah, it's for the MA--if you're applying without an MA, at Penn State you apply to the MA and then, as I've since learned, there's a process to apply internally to the PhD program partway through your second year.

I applied to the MA as well. That post did seem remarkably early, but I recall a thread in which the poster claimed the admit.

Penn State is notorious for being late to the response party. :(

*oops, didn't see the previous post show up while I wrote this...

Edited by troutbum

I maybe should have mentioned it before, but I'm kinda weird about talking about myself: I don't know anything about the stage of the rest of the process thus far, but I really, really doubt that they're done notifying--I received a University Graduate Fellowship, which I think probably has something to do with the early notification. (I was so freaked out when I saw the call: I remember telling one of my coworkers that I'm pretty sure they called to tell me that my application made them laugh like they haven't laughed since they went to see an improv group in college or something. To say I was shocked and honored would be, to quote another user's username, a spastic litote.)

pinkrobot, did the online portal change to show your acceptance when you got in?

Also, would you mind sharing your area of emphasis? Which professors, if any, did you list on your SoP?

Sorry for the questions. I'm freaking out about Penn State, as it's my dream program.

Hi troutbum, no worries--about the online portal, I didn't check at the time, but I just logged in and my status still says "As of December 24, 2011, the Graduate School has received your application and fee payment. If you have any questions regarding the completeness or status of your application, please click here to contact the graduate program to which you have applied." So I'm thinking the portal probably doesn't update. As for the other questions, I'm happy to chat over PMs, if that's okay with you? I'll message you now.

Received what I think would be called a "waitlist" email today, though the word was not used--will be offered admission if/when TAship lines open up. Pleasantly surprised about this, and curious how many others on here got a similar email (the results post is not mine, so at least one other).

I received that same "waitlist" e-mail this morning. It was a mix of +/- and sounds like an offer is contingent upon the TA position/funding... oh God, fingers crossed! Galoup and Judy, have either of you responded yet? I'm early American, if that calms your nerves at all.

I responded with a brief obligatory thank you and admission that it's one of my top choices.

I'm in the "haven't heard anything" boat. I'm little shocked at how early those e-mails are coming out, honestly. I didn't hear anything back from Penn State last year until early April.

Edited by Kudrov