Liberal Studies MA 2012

pomo

I know a lot of area studies and other interdisciplinary subjects fall in MALS departments -- anyone waiting on these for 2012? February is going SLOWLY and I know it's likely I won't hear until late March or even early April.

Let's commiserate! I am waiting on NYU (Gallatin), CUNY and NSSR....

Are you worried about being one of "those" students if you go for a liberal studies degree? Do you already have one? Let's not let the PhD applicants have all the fun.

I applied to Gallatin!!!! EEEEEEEK.

I am a senior at UNC Asheville, a public liberal arts school. I'm hoping because I have a liberal arts background, that will help me get into Gallatin, it's the only program I want (and therefore the only one I applied for.) Hopefully it will work out!

I talked to John Bradley in admissions and he said that they were going to start mailing out decisions on March 1. I hope that's true because they kept changing the dates, I called a couple of times and was told different time frames every time. But I'm visiting NY for spring break, which starts March 3, and I want to know before I visit if I've been accepted.

I hate the waiting game.

ManhattanDreams, just wanted to let you know I heard from Gallatin today...yay! Anyway, I applied super SUPER early (October) so if you don't hear yet I wouldn't worry!

Pomo - congrats on hearing your news today!! How did you hear? Via snail mail, FedEx, email? Just wondering what to look out for. Thanks!! Hoping to hear soon. I'm on the west coast, so it might take a little bit longer if its snail mail.

Pomo - congrats on hearing your news today!! How did you hear? Via snail mail, FedEx, email? Just wondering what to look out for. Thanks!! Hoping to hear soon. I'm on the west coast, so it might take a little bit longer if its snail mail.

They sent an email with a nice message, info for Albert login, but no mention of financial aid. The first orientation for new students is 4/24 and there was a link to incoming grad student FB page...

I responded to the admissions coordinator re: aid and she said it would come directly from NYU financial aid. Not sure if that means I didn't get anything or if they really don't handle that stuff at the department level.

oh wow. thank you SO much for letting me know! I'll be sure to keep checking my email :) That sucks about them not saying anything about financial aid yet as thats an important concern for so many of us. Hopefully they let you know soon. Thanks again!

Congrats, Pomo! That is really fantastic. :) What will your concentration be?

I emailed John Bradley today and he told me that faculty are still reviewing my application... that's a good thing, right? No news is good news? I submitted my application January 10th so I guess they have had more time with your application. That makes me feel better at least!

I just wish I could know before my trip. Someone on the facebook page for Gallatin (I'm going at it from all angles :P ) asked about when decisions would be sent out and Gallatin replied saying they should be received by the end of this week...? Fingers are still crossed for good news before I am northern-bound!

Hey everyone! I applied to one Liberal Studies MA program, but at Columbia and the app deadline isn't even until 15 March. Suffice it to say, I have a looooooong way to go in terms of waiting (sigh).

I also went to a liberal arts for undergrad. Yay. :)

I emailed John Bradley today and he told me that faculty are still reviewing my application... that's a good thing, right? No news is good news? I submitted my application January 10th so I guess they have had more time with your application. That makes me feel better at least!

My application was submitted so early that they actually called in November to tell me I was missing LORs, because they thought I was applying for S12! So don't worry about it--I am sure most applicants will hear later this month, which seems to be when they usually notify.

I am waiting on a handful of other programs, but my research proposal for Gallatin was something along the lines of using literature to navigate emerging posthuman and postgenomic identities. I do my work in what falls under Science & Technology Studies or Philosophy and Sociology of Science...

Hey everyone! I applied to one Liberal Studies MA program, but at Columbia and the app deadline isn't even until 15 March. Suffice it to say, I have a looooooong way to go in terms of waiting (sigh).

I also went to a liberal arts for undergrad. Yay. :)

I feel you on the long wait. The CUNY MALS deadline is April 15! I am taking that to mean they won't get back to me until June, ugh!

I too went to an LAC for undergrad. I always joke about how I'm collecting vague, interdisciplinary degrees...

Fingers are still crossed for good news before I am northern-bound!

ManhattanDreams, I just realized you meant you're headed to NYC! Regardless of whether you know about Gallatin before getting here, I'm sure you will have a fantastic time. If you have any questions or want recommendations for things to do in the neighborhood, feel free to PM me as I've been living here for ages...

I feel you on the long wait. The CUNY MALS deadline is April 15! I am taking that to mean they won't get back to me until June, ugh! I too went to an LAC for undergrad. I always joke about how I'm collecting vague, interdisciplinary degrees...

Oh wow that is extraaaa long! Do you worry that other programs will make you decide before you even hear back from them? I'm a little anxious because I applied to an NYU program (but not liberal arts, it's abroad) and I'll hear back from them next week, and they want us to kind of respond/let them know within a few weeks of receipt. But then I don't have a school in europe not coming back until May.. so....

It's tricky!

But, I agree. I consider this my fun MA, since I'll actually enjoy it. My current MA I have to give myself a pep talk while laying in bed everyday trying to wake up. "You can do it!" "One foot first!" "Coffee only take 2 minutes to make!!"

Oh wow that is extraaaa long! Do you worry that other programs will make you decide before you even hear back from them?

Nah, I can't imagine they would take that kind of risk for such a small program? Either way, if I haven't heard come April I will be contacting them for a decision considering how early I applied...

I can't see this as a fun MA--though I hope it will be fun--because I'm hoping it will help me into a PhD program after. The work world has done nothing for my academic resume :)

• 3 weeks later...

Did anyone apply to NSSR for Liberal Studies? Got my notification today...in with 25% merit scholarship. Not sure it's enough to sway me away from the NYU MCC MA, but definitely will consider. Got a very nice personal note from the director of grad admissions too...

Pomo - I just got accepted to the MA Psych program at NSSR with a 25% merit scholarship and a nice little handwritten note from the director of admissions also. looks like we're both special :) I'm still waiting to hear from NYU Gallatin as I only applied to The New School & NYU Gallatin. If I get into both I'll have a tough decision on my hands since they are both wonderful!

I'm still waiting to hear from NYU Gallatin as I only applied to The New School & NYU Gallatin. If I get into both I'll have a tough decision on my hands since they are both wonderful!

I heard from Gallatin a while ago and am surprised they aren't hosting an open house. They sent me a big folder of stuff, but I am still waiting on financial aid info from them, which is frustrating considering how long ago I was accepted. Are you going to the NSSR open house? I'm going, but will probably be passing up both offers (NSSR + GALLATIN) for the NYU MCC program.

Yea I am surprised NYU Gallatin isn't hosting an open house either. I'm going to one of the satellite NSSR orientations here in LA at the beginning of April. re: financial aid - thats really frustrating I'm sorry! And I'm crossing my fingers I hear back from Gallatin very soon since I have to let NSSR know within 30 days.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anybody heard from CUNY The Grad Center? I called to confirm all documents were in, was told decisions going out around the end of April. I saw an acceptance in the results search. Does anybody know how many seats they have for Fall 2012 and what is the criteria?

Thanks!!

Has anybody heard from CUNY The Grad Center? I called to confirm all documents were in, was told decisions going out around the end of April. I saw an acceptance in the results search. Does anybody know how many seats they have for Fall 2012 and what is the criteria?

Thanks!!

I was the acceptance from this season on the results survey. I just got a packet from them with enrollment info. I won't be accepting the offer.

I believe it is pretty easy to be admitted? I don't think it's very competitive since they don't really have a cohort. Just be persistent and keep calling.

I've applied to CUNY's MALS program too (like two weeks ago) after being rejected for the Phd in Hispanic & Luso-Brazilian Literature blah blah blah blah.

The "priority" deadline ends in April 15, so I suppose its too early to wait for an acceptance/rejection. (unless you applied before november, lol)

congrats to the people that got accepted!

• 2 weeks later...