Weighing decisions

There was some mention of starting a new thread for those of us with several offers to discuss the process of weighing our decisions. So here it is!

What offers are you considering? Have you made a decision? What factors are important to you in a program? Are there extenuating circumstances that will influence your choice? When will you commit? Any advice?

For me, I have heard from all but one program, and that program is a big one. I am very excited about one of my offers and would love to say YES! to them, but feel as though I can't until I hear back from all my schools.

I (un-)fortunately got into two schools that I fit in perfectly at in terms of my research, that offer solid funding, are in good locations, etc. I'm also relatively unfamiliar with the reputation of Media & Communications programs, so I am having a hell of a time trying to figure out which to choose from.

Right now, my decision is between NC State's Comm, Rhet & Digital Media program and Temple's Mass Media & Comm program. Anyone know anything about either school? Anyone have suggestions? Feel free to reply or private message me. I've been asking around, but have gotten like NO advice on this issue.

Edited by AlexGuermantes

I wish my factors were so easily prioritized: I'm mostly basing my decisions on research fit, atmosphere, and money, but I have my significant other to think about, moving to a place where I/we don't know anyone, MA vs PhD, and a whole lot of other crap to think about. I've been trying to rationally set out pros and cons, but I think going on visits, talking to professors and graduate students, sitting in on grad seminars, and hanging out off-campus have really been helpful for me.

Right now, it's between Iowa (PhD in Rhetoric and Discourse) and Minnesota (MA in Rhetorical Studies or Critical Media Studies), but I haven't heard from my #1, Wisconsin-Madison (MA in Rhetoric at Comm Arts).

@reterik - I have a significant other, too, and that's been a challenge to throw into the mix, albeit a welcome one. We've made plans to sit down with a few cocktails once I hear from all programs to make the final decision together. I think going on visits will be extremely beneficial for you. My visits certainly have been.

@reterik I'm choosing between MA and PhD programs too. While I've still only heard back from 2 of 6 schools (1 of each), I'm leaning towards the PhD program because I can't guaranteed that when I applied again in 1-2 years I'd get in anywhere again. If I consider all other things between the programs to be equal (and in the end they balance out that way), I think that's probably the smartest choice for me.

@ Duva: I think that sounds very reasonable. If you really consider going on to a PhD anyways and you got in now, why take the risk? And it's not only the risk of not getting in... As we all know very well it'll also cost you money, time and lots of nerves again :)

For me, I mostly consider matching-up with potential advisor's works as well as working style, funding, campus environment, and social cohesion within the program. I am currently choosing between U Penn Annenberg and UW-Madison (school of journalism & mass comm). Anybody has suggestions regarding the strengths/weaknesses of these two programs? A million times million thanks! :)

Edited by commphily

For me, I mostly consider matching-up with potential advisor's works as well as working style, funding, campus environment, and social cohesion within the program. I am currently choosing between U Penn Annenberg and UW-Madison (school of journalism & mass comm). Anybody has suggestions regarding the strengths/weaknesses of these two programs? A million times million thanks! :)

Those are both such great programs that, in terms of value of the degree, you're good to go either way. Have you had phone conversations and/or met professors from either school? Sometimes you just "click" with someone.

I've also been accepted into UW- Madison but I hear funding is hard to come by. Is U Penn fully funded? I didn't apply there but wish that I had. Funding is key for me, so I'm afraid Madison might not be an option. I've only been to the city once and it was ridiculously cold- but it was a fun, eco-friendly and young atmosphere.

You could try the old trick of flipping a coin. When it's in the air, you often realize which side you want it to land on.

I've been accepted to 5 programs thus far (some Comm, one American Studies, one Area Studies). I actually haven't ranked what's important to me yet (um, duh), so reading this forum has already been really helpful for me. I think I'll need to do a little ranking when I'm done here! :)

Complicating my decision is that one of my acceptances is at an Ivy, and I've been told repeatedly by a number of people who are similar to me (gender and race) that to do the research I want to do I should really go to there so I have better chances at tenure track positions on the other end.My other challenges are that I have a significant other with kiddos in tow, and am not too excited about any of the locations of my top choices (for them or me), but really excited about the schools and programs themselves. It's a great challenge to have, but also my results really weren't anything like I thought they would be. I am also still waiting to hear from 5 programs. One I know I'm on the waitlist but I love it and it would be a top contender for (though the lack of communication is wearing on me, can't you just tell me I'm on a waitlist?!). The others simply haven't gotten back to me at all, so I feel like I'm in waitlist purgatory at this point. A lot could change between now and April 15th.....

How are others dealing with schools in less-than-ideal locations? Or deciding between well funded offers and good research fits? Right now, I'm going to visit 3 more programs through March, and I'm hoping that will help my choices. I'm giving all of my programs a full review before I decline any decisions, so I think my first few declines will come in a week or two, which will hopefully give plenty of time to folks on the waitlist waiting to hear a decision.

Beyond that, I don't know if anyone else feels this way, but I am exhausted by this admissions process. Truly tired and worn out, and excited for April 15th, because after that, I know I will not think about anything except certain things, like moving to a designated location and starting classes.......

How are others dealing with schools in less-than-ideal locations?

I guess that depends on what makes them "less than ideal" for you. Of course, we all have our own ideas about what makes a place desirable. From my perspective, all of the places you list in your sig are eminently livable--but then again, that's my perspective. I tend to think location is most important if you plan on staying in the area after school. If not, the question is, can you get through X number of years there? Deciding factors on that level could be things like: distance from family & friends, climate, social/cultural comfort, safety, cost, etc.

On a personal note, after chasing school and jobs around the country for two decades, my wife and I were tired of living in places didn't like. I chose a school (professional MA program) based on location and funding and we set down roots. It's worked out well in terms of our careers, but when it came time to apply for PhD programs, I didn't want to leave the area and had to put all my chips down on one school. Luckily it was a good fit, though I'm still waiting on the admissions decision. so, lots to consider. Good luck!

Those are both such great programs that, in terms of value of the degree, you're good to go either way. Have you had phone conversations and/or met professors from either school? Sometimes you just "click" with someone.

I've also been accepted into UW- Madison but I hear funding is hard to come by. Is U Penn fully funded? I didn't apply there but wish that I had. Funding is key for me, so I'm afraid Madison might not be an option. I've only been to the city once and it was ridiculously cold- but it was a fun, eco-friendly and young atmosphere.

You could try the old trick of flipping a coin. When it's in the air, you often realize which side you want it to land on.

Hi!

Thanks so much for the suggestions. You are right, eventually I might just need to follow my instincts :)

I have not talked to both programs yet, but I will vist them next week. Funding is crucial for me as well, and luckily Penn is fully funded. I am still waiting for funding info from Madison, which is supposed to come out by the end of this week.

Any suggestions on what things i should keep an eye on during my visit there?

I have never been to Philadelphia / Madison or done any of these prospective school visits (-> Germany) but when I go visit my schools I will either take a campus tour or walk around to get a feel for the atmosphere, maybe talk to some people on the way (I am usually pretty communicative and simply start talking to people).

The most important part for me will be how I feel at my department - you know, whether I simply feel welcome and cared for because I think nothing is worse than having to work like 50 (60?) hours a week in a place where you don't feel like you belong. It's hard to describe what I'm exactly looking for as we all know that complex constructs like trust, authenticity and so on are pretty hard to grasp...

I also want to meet with other grad students to get an impression of their perspective. Research fit with professors is also very important for me but I have to say that I'd rather not have the perfect fit with one professor but a good fit with faculty for several interests. My interests changed a lot from undergraduate to graduate and I come from a very interdisciplinary program so I want to stay in a flexible environment.

In short: I want to feel like I belong because I know my work attitude and overall mood depend on my well being and this depends on whether I feel home :)

@commphily: The visit day for Madison is March 23. Are you going to wait to go then, or go next week?

Lots of schools are on break next week, which could make it a bad time to visit.

Edited by nullsymbol

I have never been to Philadelphia / Madison or done any of these prospective school visits (-> Germany) but when I go visit my schools I will either take a campus tour or walk around to get a feel for the atmosphere, maybe talk to some people on the way (I am usually pretty communicative and simply start talking to people).

The most important part for me will be how I feel at my department - you know, whether I simply feel welcome and cared for because I think nothing is worse than having to work like 50 (60?) hours a week in a place where you don't feel like you belong. It's hard to describe what I'm exactly looking for as we all know that complex constructs like trust, authenticity and so on are pretty hard to grasp...

I also want to meet with other grad students to get an impression of their perspective. Research fit with professors is also very important for me but I have to say that I'd rather not have the perfect fit with one professor but a good fit with faculty for several interests. My interests changed a lot from undergraduate to graduate and I come from a very interdisciplinary program so I want to stay in a flexible environment.

In short: I want to feel like I belong because I know my work attitude and overall mood depend on my well being and this depends on whether I feel home :)

Thank you so much Saviya! I cannot agree more that the sense of belonging, or simply the feeling that "this is the right place" is way more important than things like reputation, resources, etc. As I move down the road of graduate study, I increasingly feel that mental health and growth is no less crucial, if not more, than simply earning a degree. I will keep that in mind during my visit to both programs :)

@commphily: The visit day for Madison is March 23. Are you going to wait to go then, or go next week?

Lots of schools are on break next week, which could make it a bad time to visit.

Hi! I got the email for invitation today from Madison as well. Unfortunately, I will be out of the U.S. and back at home around March 23, so I cannot attend the official prospective students' visit day. However, I have confirmed my schedule for a visit next week to Madison with faculty members there. And luckily that is before their spring break...

Anyway, thanks for the reminder!

I finally got my financial package from UW-Madison today and have been graciously provided with 4 years guaranteed funding.

I am still on the wait list at UC- Boulder.

Madison is a much stronger program overall. I'd welcome any advice as to whether I should go ahead and accept the offer at Madison and tell Boulder to remove me from the wait list -- or keep Madison waiting just to see what happens at Boulder. I am 99% sure I will go with Madison either way. I'm not sure if I'd feel comfortable leaving the decision until the last minute just to satisfy my curiosity.

Any thoughts?

I finally got my financial package from UW-Madison today and have been graciously provided with 4 years guaranteed funding.

I am still on the wait list at UC- Boulder.

Madison is a much stronger program overall. I'd welcome any advice as to whether I should go ahead and accept the offer at Madison and tell Boulder to remove me from the wait list -- or keep Madison waiting just to see what happens at Boulder. I am 99% sure I will go with Madison either way. I'm not sure if I'd feel comfortable leaving the decision until the last minute just to satisfy my curiosity.

Any thoughts?

WOW!!! That is fantastic!!! Big congrats on the funding! I am still waiting for more funding info from them, though....

If you are almost 100% about going to Madison, I think you can just say yes to them! And I totally agree that Madison is a much stronger program than Boulder. Enjoy your time in Madison for the next a couple of years :)

A small reminder: you may also want to ask and make sure they provide funding for the dissertation writing-up year. Also, I heard people from Madison sometimes may need more than five years to graduate. So I guess it is better to know before-hand what to expect for the theoretically possible fifth or sixth year...

Edited by commphily

WOW!!! That is fantastic!!! Big congrats on the funding! I am still waiting for more funding info from them, though....

If you are almost 100% about going to Madison, I think you can just say yes to them! And I totally agree that Madison is a much stronger program than Boulder. Enjoy your time in Madison for the next a couple of years :)

A small reminder: you may also want to ask and make sure they provide funding for the dissertation writing-up year. Also, I heard people from Madison sometimes may need more than five years to graduate. So I guess it is better to know before-hand what to expect for the theoretically possible fifth or sixth year...

Thanks @commphily! I was really kicking myself for only applying to two schools but I suppose it all works out the way it's supposed to.

That's great advice about asking about funding for while I'm writing my dissertation- I hadn't even thought about that.

Let us know what you hear about funding. Sounds like quite a few people are considering Madison-- maybe a couple of us will end up there!

Congrats mrpbn7!

My decision process got way more complicated with being waitlisted at USC... It was one of my top choices from the beginning because I have great research fit and I like that they specialize in very different areas because as mentioned before I would like to keep some flexibility regarding research focus (not that I want to change it but I'd like to keep working interdisciplinary and with mixed methods).

Now I am back in waiting and hoping mode :/

Edited by Saviya

There was a big thread on the Cafe about UMass last year. Not much talk this year (though lots of folks reported acceptances on the results page.) Anyone out there mulling over or waiting on a decision from them, besides myself?

Just get back from Madison (J-school). Great vibrant intellectual culture, super nice departmental collegiality, interesting research group-based mentoring model, amazing dataset almost tailored to my research areas, highly approachable and helpful faculty members, and plus incredibly beautiful natural environment. The only downside is their financial support may not be super ideal. But I am satisfied since I got oral promise for 4-year guaranteed funding.

All right, Madison and Penn, now my head really splits, to be honest. More to follow after the campus visit to Penn.

Just get back from Madison (J-school). Great vibrant intellectual culture, super nice departmental collegiality, interesting research group-based mentoring model, amazing dataset almost tailored to my research areas, highly approachable and helpful faculty members, and plus incredibly beautiful natural environment. The only downside is their financial support may not be super ideal. But I am satisfied since I got oral promise for 4-year guaranteed funding.

All right, Madison and Penn, now my head really splits, to be honest. More to follow after the campus visit to Penn.

Wow..I kinda regret not visiting Madison! Please let me know more when we meet! See you at Penn! :)

I accepted my offer from Madison today! Please post when you guys make your decisions (of course, @commphilly, you can't go wrong choosing between UPenn and Madison!)

I accepted my offer from Madison today! Please post when you guys make your decisions (of course, @commphilly, you can't go wrong choosing between UPenn and Madison!)

Hi! I think that is really a super smart choice because Madison is such a great program and people there are phenomenally nice!

As for me, I eventually decided to go to Penn Annenberg. It has been a tough weighing process for me and I have quite a number of external factors to consider. Anyway, enjoy your stay in Madison in the next couple of years!