I want to get a PhD so badly...

narc

I'm moving far away from anyone I know and love, likely ending a great relationship with my awesome bf of 5 years who can't leave his job, and... wow this is getting really depressing. I need to just stop there.

See, Tritone, I really admire your resolve. I wouldn't leave my partner for school. I just couldn't. I'd have to wait until he was able to move too. You are really dedicated and strong.

See, Tritone, I really admire your resolve. I wouldn't leave my partner for school. I just couldn't. I'd have to wait until he was able to move too. You are really dedicated and strong,

Aww, thanks tonights! That's really sweet. There is a possibility that he can move after year 1... he just started a new job 6 months ago and is up for a raise, so leaving only a few months after the raise wouldn't be right. We haven't worked out all the details yet... it's kind of one of those "cross that bridge when we get there" things. Wouldn't it be nice to be a poor grad student but sharing bills with an employed engineer, though?? Grr :P

I'm willing to start living on $15,000/yr. at age 30. :)

LMAO That IS kinda worse. Oh, for the love of PhD.

I want to get a PhD so badly I don't really care that the social sciences job market is terrible with far more PhDs than faculty positions *and* applying to many nonacademic jobs will leave me rejected and dejected due to being 'overqualified'.

Aww, thanks tonights! That's really sweet. There is a possibility that he can move after year 1... he just started a new job 6 months ago and is up for a raise, so leaving only a few months after the raise wouldn't be right. We haven't worked out all the details yet... it's kind of one of those "cross that bridge when we get there" things. Wouldn't it be nice to be a poor grad student but sharing bills with an employed engineer, though?? Grr :P

I think that would be spectacular!

...I would wear a hot dog suit to the interview if they asked me to.

I would pay good money to see that.

I would also be willing to submit to dangerous and psychologically scarring illegal experimentation if I would be guaranteed admission.

I would pay good money to see that.

I would also be willing to submit to dangerous and psychologically scarring illegal experimentation if I would be guaranteed admission.

Don't forget with funding!! Hate to see you have all that psy scarring and be broke! :lol:

...that I spent several hundred dollars and many hours of my life over three months trying to convince programs that I'm worth admitting.

...that I'd be willing to move to the middle of nowhere in a climate I'd hate and live on not much money. But I'd be getting to study archaeology, so it should be worth it!

But honestly, I'm not utterly dedicated to the idea of getting a PhD right now. I applied to a couple MA programs that would be great fits for me, in addition to PhD programs, and if I end up in one of those I'm not ready to say yet whether I will apply to PhD programs afterwards.

...that I'm willing to sell my house and move half-way across the US with some grumbly teenagers in tow.

I think this is the winner so far.

I'm moving far away from anyone I know and love, likely ending a great relationship with my awesome bf of 5 years who can't leave his job, and... wow this is getting really depressing. I need to just stop there.

This is the boat I'm in (except gf instead). Sigh. What we do for science.

Ditto on the many hours/$$ submitting applications.

Give up the rest of my twenties to minimal income and maximal stress. Basically, skipping the "independent adult with a real income but no responsibilities" phase of life. Though I suppose there's no law saying I have to be responsible in my thirties.

More in the spirit of this thread:

I would eat gross things (well, things that are gross to me) inlcuding avocado, cucumber, watermelon, strong olives.

I would fast for a week (I'd be willing to go as long as it tok for a guaranteed admission; however the my willpower would definitely end run out at 1 week, if not earlier).

I would work fulltime at the job I had and hated while I was in highschool.

In fact, there probably isn't much I wouldn't do for a guaranteed, funded

---I'm willing to leave my home country and my family,

and have in tow a husband who can't speak English and won't be able to have a job (he's a well-paid designer here, but won't think of staying here alone with me gone to study) anywhere I decide to go.

do I win do I win?

Though I doubt I can beat the three teenagers in tow. :)

Good luck, unlikelygrad! and others as well. :wink:

I think I would give up a minor body part, like a tooth (a molar wouldn't be a big deal) or a toe. Can you tell this is my second time applying and I'm getting panicky? ;)

Oh, LadyL, it's my second time, too. I feel your pain.

I want to get a PhD so badly that the thought of accomplishing it makes my heart physically ache.

So badly that I'd let the admissions committee name my soon-to-be-born child.

So badly that even if I was rejected from everywhere for the second year in a row, I'd make even more progress in my academic work and try again next year.