Columbia University

I've been wondering about Columbia too. I have a feeling they don't have a specific release date.They release in the course of 4 months which is a torture. If you check last year's admission results from the uni, admits pop up in January as well as late April. We've got to be patient!

I'm also so impatient with this one. My friend found out last year March 3 that she was accepted. Another found out that she was wait listed March 5--she got accepted 2 weeks later. I keep searching Twitter for terms like "Accepted Columbia" "Gsapp" etc to see if anybody is Tweeting results...nothing so far so at least it seems that nobody knows :)

I looked on the website today for the Urban Planning Program and there is a small note that say the announcements will be made the first week of April..... Guess there our answer is ....

I noticed that too but have held hope that it is a way to make sure they have plenty of time to notify everybody--particularly wait listed folks. If April is the target date they are going for, then that certainly complicates things. That December 15 deadline was tough to meet. Why does the early deadline school have to be the last minute admissions school? Hah.

Edit: from the gsapp site:

Applicants are notified of their admission status online by the first week of April.

by the first week of April, so basically, any time from now until then you could hear from them! Oh man.

Edited by unclefarkus

I am also waiting to hear, but while I wait, I am trying to figure out how good a fit Columbia's urban planning degree is for someone interested in placemaking and urban design. It is housed in an architecture school that also offers an urban design degree, so obviously the courses are available. Does anyone know whether it's common for planning students to take advantage of them? Penn's program has an established urban design track within CRP, but Columbia does not seem to. Just wondering if there are any other prospectives (or even current students) who can shed some light on this, i.e., whether Columbia is a good fit for a planner with a strong interest in design.

Thanks.

I applied for masters of architecture.

One of my friends who applied for historic preservation was accepted for that yesterday. It's in the GSAPP with that 'by April' deadline, so I think we can expect any time now honestly for all other programs. Which doesn't help with the constant email checking.

Edited by unclefarkus

I am also waiting to hear, but while I wait, I am trying to figure out how good a fit Columbia's urban planning degree is for someone interested in placemaking and urban design. It is housed in an architecture school that also offers an urban design degree, so obviously the courses are available. Does anyone know whether it's common for planning students to take advantage of them? Penn's program has an established urban design track within CRP, but Columbia does not seem to. Just wondering if there are any other prospectives (or even current students) who can shed some light on this, i.e., whether Columbia is a good fit for a planner with a strong interest in design.

Thanks.

I'm not sure about design, but from what I hear, the Columbia program is more known for academia than for anything else

Well, now it seems like every GSAPP program except urban planning has sent out responses. How much longer can they possibly make us wait?! At the risk of admitting to an overly analytical tendency, I did notice that the gradcafe posts about Columbia planning from the last few years have consistently been clustered around Fridays. Meaningful, or a coincidence? Anyone else going nuts from waiting?

I thought they would send out response around the same time as Penndesign , but I guess I was wrong. This is really crazy though because the open house and housing arrangements are already limited given the time period till August.

Yes, finally! Still waiting to hear from Hunter and NYU, though I'm leaning towards programs that are based in design schools. So I'm looking seriously at Columbia, Pratt and Penn, weighing Penn's program (which on paper I really like, though I haven't been there to visit yet) vs. going to school in NYC, where I ultimately want to work.

Anybody else have any leanings yet?

I'm still going crazy..... I so a wave of acceptance today from the Urban Planning dept... Ok.. maybe it was only 2, but still I did not get an e-mail lol.. I'm on the wait list for Penn (Raises Gun to Head) I love CORNELL and I'm in... But Columbia may be a better fit for me, but they are really really really killing me... I'm in so many other places, but geese this is the last one and the first one I submitted almost ....

Yes, finally! Still waiting to hear from Hunter and NYU, though I'm leaning towards programs that are based in design schools. So I'm looking seriously at Columbia, Pratt and Penn, weighing Penn's program (which on paper I really like, though I haven't been there to visit yet) vs. going to school in NYC, where I ultimately want to work.

Anybody else have any leanings yet?

Please, please, please do not waste your time or money at Pratt. The program has a good name but it is terribly unorganized and getting good professors, I mean instructors, is a matter of luck. I feel held hostage to the program and wish I had known better before I made the decision to pour nearly $100,000 into their academic system. If you want an easy degree without any real learning then Pratt is the place. If you actually want to be an expert at something and feel stimulated and supported intellectually, go somewhere else. Pratt is a great place to get an unpaid internship filing your teacher's papers.

Edited by thisoldhouse

I'm still going crazy..... I so a wave of acceptance today from the Urban Planning dept... Ok.. maybe it was only 2, but still I did not get an e-mail lol.. I'm on the wait list for Penn (Raises Gun to Head) I love CORNELL and I'm in... But Columbia may be a better fit for me, but they are really really really killing me... I'm in so many other places, but geese this is the last one and the first one I submitted almost ....

hey, are you goingto the cornell open house!

Please, please, please do not waste your time or money at Pratt. The program has a good name but it is terribly unorganized and getting good professors, I mean instructors, is a matter of luck. I feel held hostage to the program and wish I had known better before I made the decision to pour nearly $100,000 into their academic system. If you want an easy degree without any real learning then Pratt is the place. If you actually want to be an expert at something and feel stimulated and supported intellectually, go somewhere else. Pratt is a great place to get an unpaid internship filing your teacher's papers.

@thisoldhouse: Sorry to hear that your Pratt experience has been disappointing. Thanks for sharing your feedback. I must admit that I have reservations about Pratt's price tag, and some other aspects of their program. It seems like Pratt might be a great fit for some people, but I'm getting the impression that it's kind of a niche in the planning school world.