NYU admit?

Kcanuck

I got a call Thursday morning, and it ended up being an interview. It took me by surprise and didn't go too well - I don't think I'll be accepted - but here's the info I gleaned from the conversation:

NYU had a record number of applications. They received ~450, which is ~100 more than previous years. Because of that and a substantial decrease in the number of offers they can make, they've only accepted a couple of people who perfectly fit the department (open mentors, etc.). The rest of the offers will come from their shortlist, which they started interviewing yesterday. After the interviews and final deliberations - he said it could take a week or more - final decisions would be sent out.

Basically, to those who've already been accepted, congratulations! To those still waiting and wondering, don't worry! They're still looking at people and interviewing. Best of luck to everyone.

No problem, chillinlikeavillain. : )

Where do I want to go? You know, I'm really not sure. It depends on Harvard, Columbia's, and NYU's decisions, since they're my other top choices. It's unlikely that I was accepted by Harvard since they never contacted me after the interview (What a bummer! They have great race/ethnicity scholars.), but I still have hope for Columbia. And a little for NYU. We'll see. Once I get all of the decisions, it's all about visits. What are yours?

It's me again. I got the call bright and early this morning (9:00AM). The professor told me that they were notifying acceptances and that I was one of them. We briefly talked about visit day (March 6th), funding (significantly higher than the other fellowship packages I've received but probably counteracted by the high cost of living in New York), and people to talk to. Hope everyone gets good news today too. I was shocked since I thought my interview went badly.

To the person who got accepted via email today: did you have an interview? I wanna know if I should cross NYU off my list. Thanks!

Hi, that was me. Actually, it was by phone -- I selected "email" by accident.

No, I was not interviewed prior to being offered admission. I have no idea what the norm is, though.

Details: I got a phone call a couple of days ago. 5 yrs tuition covered, health care, and over 20 grand stipend (I have to TA for a couple years). In so far as how far along they are with offers, etc. I know that they have a) accepted some people (via phone) and B) waitlisted some people (via email). I don't know many more details (cohort size, if they are done with offers, if they have sent out rejections). I hope that helps!

For anyone else still waiting, try e-mailing NYU. I got a quick answer that way.

Who did you e-mail at NYU? I wrote yesterday and wasn't sure who to write (I wrote to the chair's assistant), but I haven't heard back.

Who did you e-mail at NYU? I wrote yesterday and wasn't sure who to write (I wrote to the chair's assistant), but I haven't heard back.

I wrote to the "Director of Graduate Studies," Eric Klinenberg, who's contact is listed at: http://sociology.fas.nyu.edu/object/soc.staff

I received a very succinct response about 15 minutes later, so I assume he was at a computer at the time I sent the message!