Fall 2013 Applicants?

runaway

Hey there! I had the unofficial notice from my POI back on January 31st and got the official departmental notice yesterday. :) Hope that helps! Best of luck to you! :D

Thanks! I'm guessing I'm out of luck if I haven't received one yet, but we'll see.

Thanks! I'm guessing I'm out of luck if I haven't received one yet, but we'll see.
Hard to say...I've only seen (I think) two acceptances on here, not including mine, and the official email I got from the department said they were taking 18 people this year. Hopefully, that means there are still plenty of spots left for you! :)

Curious about what's going on with JHU. Scattered acceptances and scattered (mostly via USPS) rejections.

Pretty certain they are done accepting; they sent out an email to the admits (not blind copied) to make arrangements for visiting days. But do not know how they do wait lists etc.

I told myself again and again not to get my hopes up about any of the programs where I applied.  They're all highly selective, and the chances of getting in to any of them are low.

But then I started PICTURING myself at one of my top choices.  Looking up neighborhoods where I might live.  Figuring out how much it would cost to rent a place.  Reading the "city guide" forum to get a handle on local grocery stores and entertainment.  And this is the worst -- I even chose a funny YouTube video to post to Facebook when accepted.

My spirits are now ready to be crushed.

I told myself again and again not to get my hopes up about any of the programs where I applied.  They're all highly selective, and the chances of getting in to any of them are low.

But then I started PICTURING myself at one of my top choices.  Looking up neighborhoods where I might live.  Figuring out how much it would cost to rent a place.  Reading the "city guide" forum to get a handle on local grocery stores and entertainment.  And this is the worst -- I even chose a funny YouTube video to post to Facebook when accepted.

My spirits are now ready to be crushed.

Ouch. I looked at apartments "just to see" the living costs and started thinking of locations in that city that I would prefer to live in, in addition to reading the city forum. 

We torture ourselves . . .  :(

These next  two weeks should be telling for two schools of mine. And I have a proficiency exam to take for another program next week. I hope I don't blank and forget everything I've ever learned about Japanese.  :unsure: Oh, and an interview too. 

At least there's something going on! Better than waiting and nothing happening. I wish most of my programs responded sooner than March. It's just so late. It's exhausting to have my dad pester me with what I'm doing next year when it varies from west coast, east coast, the north, or international. Basically anywhere but the south is open game. 

Hope we all get admission's decisions soon! 

Viggosloof28, how on earth did you hear from CUNY so quickly? When I applied there last year, they notified me 2 days before my end of the decision deadline, and I was already in their system.

If you've managed to cut CUNY's Gordian Knot of red tape, please tell me how?

Viggosloof28, how on earth did you hear from CUNY so quickly? When I applied there last year, they notified me 2 days before my end of the decision deadline, and I was already in their system.

If you've managed to cut CUNY's Gordian Knot of red tape, please tell me how?

Not sure if they're just sending things out earlier this year, but there are (I think) three of us on this site that have heard back already.  It sounded like their committee just started meeting last week or the week before, though.  I was really surprised since their application deadline was my latest one: January 15th.

So maybe they're working on decreasing the amount of red tape?  Let's hope so! :)

Not sure if they're just sending things out earlier this year, but there are (I think) three of us on this site that have heard back already.  It sounded like their committee just started meeting last week or the week before, though.  I was really surprised since their application deadline was my latest one: January 15th.

So maybe they're working on decreasing the amount of red tape?  Let's hope so! :)

And pigs might fly!

I doubt you'll need it, with acceptences from Chapel Hill, UT Austin and Amherst, but if you want any info on CUNY, let me know. I was a student and taught at Hunter College, CUNY, for several years, and I have friends at every stage of the CUNY GC PhD program.

Edited by lureynol

The person who posted said they applied for joint Middle Eastern Studies with either history or art history, and his or her art history POI said that history was the department he or she was admitted to.

Edited by czesc

And pigs might fly!

I doubt you'll need it, with acceptences from Chapel Hill, UT Austin and Amherst, but if you want any info on CUNY, let me know. I was a student and taught at Hunter College, CUNY, for several years, and I have friends at every stage of the CUNY GC PhD program.

I definitely might PM you with some questions...CUNY and Chapel Hill are probably the best fits for me out of all the schools I applied to, and it's proving a much tougher decision to make than I anticipated!

The person who posted said they applied for joint Middle Eastern Studies with either history or art history, and his or her art history POI said that history was the department he or she was admitted to.

My understanding, though I won't swear to it, is that applicants to the program in History and Middle Eastern Studies are handled by the Center for Middle Eastern Studies, not by the history department. This is definitely how it works with my program (History and East Asian Languages, except managed by EALC, not CMES), and my understanding is that HMES worked the same way.

I was thinking that, since it's a joint degree and the applicant was admitted for history, he/she would have to be cleared by the history department, and they would probably need to know something about the rest of their offers to do so? I guess it's possible that if all funding/support comes from CMES, though, that they wouldn't have to have reached final decisions on their own applicants to approve one in MES.

Either way, I would be surprised if they hadn't made their decisions by now. Last year they sent emails out on Valentine's Day.

My understanding, though I won't swear to it, is that applicants to the program in History and Middle Eastern Studies are handled by the Center for Middle Eastern Studies, not by the history department. This is definitely how it works with my program (History and East Asian Languages, except managed by EALC, not CMES), and my understanding is that HMES worked the same way.

That's my understanding as well. There's a lot of overlap, but ultimately they're admitted as HMES students and that's the degree they receive, not history.

Gotcha. Yeah, I totally know what you mean - the notion of moving from Denver (where I am now) to Bangor, Maine (for instance) is a little weird for me but it's the life we chose, right? Just wait until our only job offers are to University of Iowa - Podunksville (and we're thrilled to accept them!).

Hailing from Iowa, I can tell you, the University of Iowa is a weird, weird HUGE campus. Not to mention to get to the library from some of the buildings on campus you literally have to walk through bar street. They've had huge problems with underage drinking and public disorder because of drunks. 

But...it's actually not in the middle of nowhere. Iowa City has a fairly vibrant arts scene and the university offers shuttles to the massive mall in Coralville on Fridays and the weekends I believe. 

Hello. I just joined today :) Any news on acceptances/ rejections (Sociocultural Anthro) from Stanford, UCB or Harvard? Thanks much!!

Not sure...have you tried searching the results board for your field?  Best of luck! :D