Fall 2013 Applicants?

runaway

hey if anyone else here applied to the University of Maine, I just got word that the committee made their recommendations to the graduate school today and that we should expect notifications "very soon"

!!!

Hey I applied for the MA at U Maine. When did you get the notification from them? 

I'm getting really impatient with Penn State and NYU. I hope no news means good news is coming. Has anybody heard back from these schools yet? 

Edited by getitlow

I didn't, I e-mailed the DGS like 4 hours ago asking what's up with notifications and he told me all that.

Thank you. I actually misunderstood your message! Now that I know I have to watch out for U Maine decision in the next few days. 

I'm getting really impatient with Penn State and NYU. I hope no news means good news is coming. Has anybody heard back from these schools yet? 

I talked to several people who have good reason to know the deal with NYU and it seems that, unless you were invited to the interview weekend or are maybe a very far-away international student, no news is most likely very bad news -- sounds like there probably won't even be a waitlist to hope for. Sorry...was not what I wanted to hear, either.

Someone above compared this to a marathon. I'd say it's kind of like that, but right before the finish line all the spectators tackle you and kick you a lot.

I very much approve of this description.

You get near the end, and there's a furious storm of kicks and tackles. Plus, the news gives you an extra little kick in the er, "balls" with all the troubles of money, loans, moving and planning for graduate school or even reapplying the next fall. 

I wish I could get a damn idea about finances with my offer. Then I could just say that I'm going to UCLA, unless offered better. At this point though, with no funding discussed, I'm just floating in uncertainty if I'm even going to graduate school. Though I can't really email the department until that official acceptance is handed to me, unofficial acceptances are just too... uncertain for me to start poking about funding in my mind. 

A marathon with a $125 entrance fee and no participation sticker.  :(

I would give a lot to be able to go back and un-apply to some of the schools I didn't really have a shot with (*cough* Berkeley, Stanford, and Columbia *cough*).  I'd have considerably more in my bank account now, if I could! :P

Hmm...a number of people on the results board claiming they see a rejection on the UVA website...but my status doesn't seem to have changed?

The same here... Does UVa have another website for checking application status? (Or, no change means a silent rejection? )

Hi Everyone,

I've been a lurker here for awhile so first, congratulations to everyone that's been accepted and best of luck for everyone still waiting!

I was admitted to UT Arlington and I was just curious if anyone wants to step forward as the other admit. I would love to talk to someone who might be in my cohort there.

Is anyone else gathering that the cohort sizes are smaller than in previous years? I've heard that from a couple schools. Georgetown, for instance, admitted 9 PhD students.
I'm not sure if this is smaller than in previous years, as well, but UNC said they only accepted 18 students this year.

I can only speak to Columbia, but I almost think their admit list is bigger this year; I'm one of 40 according to the "Sent to" field on one of my emails, whereas I'd heard in previous years they usually aimed for 35 for a yield of 20-22.

I got an email from the grad admissions generic email at UConn saying check my application because a decision was made, but nothing has changed. This seems like protocol for a rejection though.

It's not necessarily a rejection.  Those are tricky, though, you have to dig around for where the decision letter is.

It's not necessarily a rejection.  Those are tricky, though, you have to dig around for where the decision letter is.

The application status still says "incomplete" and there are no messages or new materials for me to view. I've clicked on every clickable link in the application, and frantically I may add haha.

The number at Cornell seems somewhat lower than previous years: 10 admits this year, vs. somewhere in the teens previously, according to http://gradschool.cornell.edu/academics/field-metrics It's unclear to what extent those applicants were just for the History Department though (Cornell makes a sometimes-confusing distinction between "field" and "discipline") and the number of admits might actually be more consistent.

I think I remember NewEnglandNat saying the number admitted at Princeton was higher this year.

The application status still says "incomplete" and there are no messages or new materials for me to view. I've clicked on every clickable link in the application, and frantically I may add haha.

At the bottom there should be a message that says:

Decision Status: Available beginning 2/27/2013

Underneath that a link that says:

Your application decision is now available online.

That link takes you to your decision.

Edited by bkify76

I talked to several people who have good reason to know the deal with NYU and it seems that, unless you were invited to the interview weekend or are maybe a very far-away international student, no news is most likely very bad news -- sounds like there probably won't even be a waitlist to hope for. Sorry...was not what I wanted to hear, either.

Thanks for letting me know. That's okay. Here goes my presumed rejection ! 

At the bottom there should be a message that says:

Decision Status: Available beginning 2/27/2013

Underneath that a link that says:

Your application decision is now available online.

That link takes you to your decision.

The email says "A decision has been made on your application. Please log-in to view the decision." Then provides me a link to my application log-in. I log-in and there is nothing new to view, just a review of my submitted application. I go to the check your application link within my application and it says my status is "submitted." I don't know how I could be missing anything here.