Fall 2013 Applicants?

runaway

Wow, March is almost here? It feels like an homage to 'this too shall pass.' 
Is anyone else at least excited about knowing where you're headed? After living 35 miles from the nearest grocery store, living in a place with sidewalks seems like a treat. I have to admit though, the transition to a more urban area is always a bit difficult--for about a month. 

I didn't post the UConn acceptance, but I was also accepted. I received an email from my POI saying that I'd been admitted with "full funding" and that I would receive an offer letter around March 1 which details specifics regarding what "full funding" means. I haven't received any other notification from the school.

Wow, March is almost here? It feels like an homage to 'this too shall pass.' 

Is anyone else at least excited about knowing where you're headed? After living 35 miles from the nearest grocery store, living in a place with sidewalks seems like a treat. I have to admit though, the transition to a more urban area is always a bit difficult--for about a month. 

It looks like I'm headed in the opposite direction! Anyone have tips for urbanites moving deep into the country? I'm trying to treat it like an adventure, but wonder how long it'll take before I miss the subway and convenience of a nearby airport.

Edited by czesc

It looks like I'm headed in the opposite direction! Anyone have tips for urbanites moving deep into the country? I'm trying to treat it like an adventure, but wonder how long it'll take before I miss the subway and convenience of a nearby airport.

Ithaca is not "deep into the country." It's a college town and has all the amenities of being such. I think you will come to enjoy it. Plus as all upstate NYers know, Ithaca is Gorges.

Well, I don't think any research university is literally "deep in the country" given they're inevitably surrounded by services needed to support large student/faculty populations. It's a relative thing. Even Albany and Syracuse can feel like villages compared to NYC...let alone a small town like Ithaca! So it's still a big adjustment.

Edited by czesc

Well, I don't think any research university is literally "deep in the country" given they're inevitably surrounded by services needed to support large student/faculty populations. It's a relative thing. Even Albany and Syracuse can feel like villages compared to NYC...let alone a small town like Ithaca! So it's still a big adjustment.

As someone who's lived in NYC all my life and other big cities for short periods, I am with you! I have no idea how I will adjust to a non-city life. But looks like I will have to choose between two collegetowns. 

I'm thinking a snowplow might be both the most effective means of transportation I could buy for Ithaca and probably the best guaranteed/easiest way to supplement a graduate stipend there. :)

herstorian - as much as I'd love to have a fellow urbanite to commiserate with in the sticks, I have to say that UMich is at least near a major airport, and Ann Arbor seems to have a lot more going on than Ithaca.

Edited by czesc

A car and a freezer. :-) living in a noncity on a budget transportation can make up a big part of your budget. When I was driving to work everyday 30-50% of my salary was going to gas. On the note of not buyin a stickshift... they are better on gas without as much worry about tranny problems and with a poor students salary those are really important things to consider. I am biased since I drive a standard. :-)

Hi, I'm new to this forum.  Congrats on your admission to Cornell!  I am a Cornell grad, living in Ithaca for a few years.  I actually transferred to Cornell from UC Berkeley, and it is an adjustment to say the least.  We actually do have an airport, a small one, that routes into Detroit, Philly, and New York and buses that go to and from NYC.  Aside from that, you'll be hard pressed to get out of town without a car.  

A car and a freezer. :-) living in a noncity on a budget transportation can make up a big part of your budget. When I was driving to work everyday 30-50% of my salary was going to gas. On the note of not buyin a stickshift... they are better on gas without as much worry about tranny problems and with a poor students salary those are really important things to consider. I am biased since I drive a standard. :-)

I drive a standard as well, and normally would agree.  The thing about Cornell is specific.  Ithaca's hills are a major pain and add the snow and ice and that will just make it even worse with a stick shift.

From my experience moving from a major city to the country, you'll want to do several things.  Instead of a white noise machine that plays nature sounds, buy one that plays traffic and train noises, along with random screams and yelling and so on.  Otherwise the night is really creepy and you'll have trouble sleeping.  You can also drive 10 MPH where ever you go to simulate city driving.  That way, too, complaining about traffic will remain part of your life.  If you miss being overcrowded, find a small elevator on campus and ride in it for a half hour to an hour everyday during peak usage hours.  You'll have to do some research to determine when peak usage hours are, but you'll find out quickly.  Also, you won't have time for this, but because I missed unnecessary screaming matches, I coached a Little League team so I had people to yell at.  I'm not a night person.  I run, write, and watch sports for fun, and you can do that anywhere, so I can't help you with that.  The hardest part for me was the food.  I think I happily gained 20 lbs. every time I came back home.

Thanks for all the tips! I know Ithaca has an airport - it's also incredibly expensive to fly out of / into. The reimbursement amount Cornell offered for prospective weekend wouldn't even cover the cost of flying from NYC! The delays seem to be endemic due to weather and the low priority of the airport for flight routing. And the worst part is that almost all the planes are props. A few years ago, a plane similar to the ones that fly to Ithaca crashed near my aunt's house outside Buffalo -- these tiny commuter flights can't always handle the weather in upstate NY. So no plans to use Ithaca's airport, except maybe to take the one Delta jet that flies to Detroit for connections west.

As for Rochester/Syracuse -- given the time it'd take to drive to them and then still connect before reaching my destination, it probably makes just as much sense to bus it to NYC and fly from JFK. It'd be nice if at least one Ithaca bus company went directly to an NYC airport, though...

Screen Name - I can't tell how much of your post is in jest, but I'm seriously considering one of those traffic noise machines now.

Georgetown is off my list too. I thought it was a great fit but what do I know right ? :blink:

Since I'm only left with Harvard and NYU, and they are presumed rejections, CUNY is my destination. Would anyone mind giving me any tips about living in such a big and expensive city? I can't say I'm not used to urban life (I live in a city with a population of 12 million) but that doesn't keep me from being slightly frightened by the idea of moving to the NYC, especially because I'm an international student - never lived or been in the States before.

.. and oh, I almost forgot, I'm also waiting to hear from Arizona.

Congratulations! If you are talking about the MyBama website nothing has changed on my “Admission Type:” Probably just waiting for the Graduate School to mail out rejections…. Disappointing, but oh well :(

Thanks! Remember that schools like UA admit in waves ( or so I'm told). Keep your chin up and know your day is coming soon :).

Edited by Dawg05

Since I'm only left with Harvard and NYU, and they are presumed rejections, CUNY is my destination. Would anyone mind giving me any tips about living in such a big and expensive city? I can't say I'm not used to urban life (I live in a city with a population of 12 million) but that doesn't keep me from being slightly frightened by the idea of moving to the NYC, especially because I'm an international student - never lived or been in the States before.

Cook, since eating out is expensive. Invest in appliances that will let you make things like coffee more cheaply at home. Buy food from farmers' markets, since it's fresh but relatively inexpensive. Although it's tempting, try to avoid going out a lot and go to parties in apartments with free drinks/food when you can. Never take cabs, always take the subway. You've better off in a cheap apartment near an express subway stop with good access to school than with a more expensive one that's physically closer. Learn to love the outer neighborhoods of outer boroughs in general and their abundant expanses of cheap food (Flushing and Jackson Heights are among my favorites). Never pay full admission at museums where there's only a "suggested donation" - give them a dime or something. Use student discounts -- like student rush tickets at theatres -- religiously.

And don't worry too much about coming to the US for the first time; New York will probably ease the transition since it's way more cosmopolitan than most parts of the country. There will probably even be some neighborhood here filled with people from your country that you can retreat to from time to time if that would make you more comfortable.

Edited by czesc

Georgetown is off my list too. I thought it was a great fit but what do I know right ? :blink:

.. and oh, I almost forgot, I'm also waiting to hear from Arizona.

Sorry to hear about Georgetown. I was wondering, what was their method of contact? I assume I've been rejected, but I've logged into my GU account and there is no new status update.  :huh: