Fall 2013 Applicants?

runaway

I think I may postpone checking the mail for awhile...

On the contrary I am very eager to receive this physical Harvard letter! already have planned its nearly instant shredding & then maybe the shredding of those pieces etc.

It's mutually agreed upon by a council of all (American) graduate programs that April 15th is the reply-by date.

This is not accurate. An agreement was made by most (but not all) American universities that April 15th (at 5pm in the time-zone of the Univeristy) is the earliest they can require you to tell them whether or not you will be attending. But they all retain the right to allow you to take longer if you wish to.

I encountered two programs last year who had reply-by dates after April 15.

Edited by remenis

This is not accurate. An agreement was made by most (but not all) American universities that April 15th (at 5pm in the time-zone of the Univeristy) is the earliest they can require you to tell them whether or not you will be attending. But they all retain the right to allow you to take longer if you wish to.

I encountered two programs last year who had reply-by dates after April 15.

Yes, you're right -- the point is that you're not pressured into accepting one before you hear back from others.

My friend a few years ago had a change of heart after the 15th, notified after, and it was fine.

Personally, I'll be deciding next week which perhaps will help some waitlisters.

Edited by lafayette

Anyone else still in limbo with Ohio State? What do we think this mean? 

Yep. I heard yesterday that final admissions decisions would be going out soon. I know they are really late this year in sending out that last wave of admissions, so it sounds like it could still go either way. 

I am still waiting on the University of Iowa, too. I am really hopeful that final word comes this week.

i just called the history department, and they said that the professors are meeting this friday to discuss final decisions and financial aid packages. apparently, we should be hearing back within the next 10 days!

i just called the history department, and they said that the professors are meeting this friday to discuss final decisions and financial aid packages. apparently, we should be hearing back within the next 10 days!

Thanks for looking into it. 10 days is better than 20 days, I suppose.

Congrats, telkanuru! I know you'd been hoping for this.

:P well not exactly but it'll do!

I don't want to do this whole shindig again  :wacko:

Well, I know you were hoping for that over a rejection is all I mean...

Another mysterious NYU waitlisting. Are they doing one a day?

Last year, I remember getting my ND rejection very late. So yes, I think so. The question of why is more perplexing. 

Rejections usually go out through the grad school, not individual departments. And the grad school in the past has preferred to operate in clumps of departments rather than individual ones.

Anyone who will be at Princeton's spective visiting days who wants the super secret unofficial tour of campus sunday afternoon before events start please PM me.

Highly recommended. New England Nat gives excellent tours. :)

I also got the Chicago MAPSS offer with half tuition today. I'm not really sure what to make of it. One thing that did leap out is that their tuition is horrendously expensive.

Has anyone done this program or know someone who has?

Edited by LeatherElbows

My Harvard rejection arrived in the mail today - about time! Pretty funny turn of phrase - "unable to take favorable action on your application," heh. Oh well, I don't care - finally, it's all over! I'll be declining my spot on the Princeton waitlist at the end of the week, hope it helps someone here at least a little  :)

My Harvard rejection arrived in the mail today - about time! Pretty funny turn of phrase - "unable to take favorable action on your application," heh. Oh well, I don't care - finally, it's all over! I'll be declining my spot on the Princeton waitlist at the end of the week, hope it helps someone here at least a little  :)

Harvard rejection here as well. Have to admit the watermarked paper feels better than a "Your Decision in Ready" email. 

Thanks for declining the waitlist early, it just may help.  :)

Anyone else still waiting?

Still waiting for 4 universities: Ohio State, Mass. Amherst, Santa Barbara, SUNY Binghamton. And also waiting for the decisions on fundings for Arizona State.

Still waiting for 4 universities: Ohio State, Mass. Amherst, Santa Barbara, SUNY Binghamton. And also waiting for the decisions on fundings for Arizona State.

Santa Barbara is the only US school I'm waiting on. Did you get an interview? I would have thought they would be notifying by now since their deadline was Dec. 5.

I also got the Chicago MAPSS offer with half tuition today. I'm not really sure what to make of it. One thing that did leap out is that their tuition is horrendously expensive.

Has anyone done this program or know someone who has?

So I've been doing a bit of poking, since getting this looked like something that might happen.

There are several blogs of MAPSS students out there which you can find via Google. They are pretty much overwhelmingly positive. The PhD placement rate out of the program for "those they helped" (which might fudge things a bit) looks very good, in the 85-95% range, depending on year. It also looks like a way to vet students of a certain caliber for the Chicago PhD, as they have several admits over the past couple years. Chicago was my #1 choice based on program and #2 based on location, so this is a significant factor for me. There also seems to be a significant difference between the MAPSS and MAPH programs.

With respect to cost, I agree. I was also offered 1/2 tuition. There are several factors at play here for me, though. First, I have a spouse who is gainfully employed and, although she wouldn't be moving out with me for 9 months, it does help matters. Second, cost of living in Chicago is about half what I'm used to here in Boston. There also seem to be some even-lower-cost living options, such as the International House. Third, the 1-year timespan of the program (9 months, really) is highly attractive, compared to the 2-3 years of a conventional masters, and in many cases it counts as time not spent in a PhD program (or an extra year of funding to finish your diss? I don't know how that works). Also, unless you get a great tuition break and funding for another masters program, $24k + living expenses for a MA doesn't sound that terrible, relatively speaking.

Long story short, it's interested me enough to make travel plans for their visiting days (a $200 travel voucher helps). I at least want to hear what they have to say.

Hope that helps!

Edited by telkanuru