Fall 2013 Applicants?

runaway

Dang it....that means I have to budget just like with my student loan money. I hate that. 

Even worse - they don't withhold taxes on stipends (only on wages, like for a TA or RA), so most people end up haveing to pay that all in a big lump sum in April. Make sure you keep it in mind when you do make your budget or you'll end up owing something like a couple thousand.

Even worse - they don't withhold taxes on stipends (only on wages, like for a TA or RA), so most people end up haveing to pay that all in a big lump sum in April. Make sure you keep it in mind when you do make your budget or you'll end up owing something like a couple thousand.

Really?  That makes me nervous...I would think that most people wouldn't be making enough to owe that much. 

Pat, most universities do withhold taxes from international student stipends.

Mine doesn't withold taxes from stipends even for international students - but of course this will be different for every university.

I was admitted to the UMass Amherst MA program and all I have gotten so far is an email from the dept coordinator and an email from the director of the public history program. She said that info on funding should be coming in mid-March.

I received admission from UMass Amherst PhD Program on mid-Feb. I got an e-mail from the department and later another e-mail from the International Students Office. I will most probably reject the offer so I hope this helps someone on their waitlist.

Well, everyone, it's been a wild season of ups and downs, but I've now received responses from all the programs to which I applied, have finished up my campus visits, and have now accepted my offer at Princeton (a wonderful department -- New England Nat does not lie!). I hope everyone who hasn't heard back yet hears in the positive soon, and if any 2014-ers have any questions about the process, don't hesitate to reach out at any time and message me. I'm no expert, but I think I did a couple things right (and probably just as many wrong). Thanks for all the support, history grad cafers! Y'all are the best. So glad to be done with this process. Now on to the real work -- which I wish you all the best of luck in, as well.

Come on UIC!

Acceptance??? Congrats!!!

Well, everyone, it's been a wild season of ups and downs, but I've now received responses from all the programs to which I applied, have finished up my campus visits, and have now accepted my offer at Princeton (a wonderful department -- New England Nat does not lie!). I hope everyone who hasn't heard back yet hears in the positive soon, and if any 2014-ers have any questions about the process, don't hesitate to reach out at any time and message me. I'm no expert, but I think I did a couple things right (and probably just as many wrong). Thanks for all the support, history grad cafers! Y'all are the best. So glad to be done with this process. Now on to the real work -- which I wish you all the best of luck in, as well.

Congratulations, really!!!

It's tough for me to say it, since I really really really thought I was an excellent fit at Princeton and was really really really bummed for not getting in. I think I'll always have a little scratch in my pride... :( I don't like it, I am not the kind of person that resents the success of others, but it was hard for me to see people getting in. Now that I am (a little) over it, I can truly congratulate you! All the best there!!!! :) 

Acceptance??? Congrats!!!

Congratulations, really!!!

It's tough for me to say it, since I really really really thought I was an excellent fit at Princeton and was really really really bummed for not getting in. I think I'll always have a little scratch in my pride... :( I don't like it, I am not the kind of person that resents the success of others, but it was hard for me to see people getting in. Now that I am (a little) over it, I can truly congratulate you! All the best there!!!! :)

I can only hope...They are the last school I'm waiting for and have apparently said nothing to anyone yet. 

From much earlier:

lafayette, on 25 Feb 2013 - 13:29, said:snapback.png

One last school and I'm done. Just going to call it a rejection because hey, it's a teeny department in a prestigious school and yup, I just wanna call it a day. Maybe they'll surprise me with an honorable mention waitlist.

Congratulations!  Best wishes for your career at Princeton and beyond! :D

What is going on with Notre Dame? No news even on acceptances this late is weird. Can they just reject me so I can move on? Jeeze. 

How are everyone's campus visits going?

It's been interesting to hear from professors what they thought of my application. One prof said they'd had a debate about me because I'd expressed so many different interests they weren't sure what to make of me. I had thought I'd expressed a fairly narrow set of subfields, but I didn't go so far as to articulate a detailed plan for my dissertation. I was cautioned not to by my MA profs, actually -- in order to demonstrate openness to new ideas. But in retrospect perhaps I swung too far in the other direction and just seemed scattered.

Also it's a bit depressing to compare the resources of certain public v. private institutions. Wealthy, private universities have the resources to organize very slick, fancy visits. I won't base my decision on a dog-and-pony show, but I do wonder what other 'extras' those programs might have available for students.

I had a very pleasant and quick conclusion to the program search today. I've decided on University of Washington.  :)

Again, congrats to everyone who has made their decisions and the warmest, best wishes to anyone still waiting. I'll probably stick around here though, at least for a while, due to the good company.