Fall 2013 Applicants?

runaway

Conrgats again to everyone who's been freshly accepted!

Has anyone gotten an official email from the Cornell dept yet, or just the POI calls that went out Friday?

I received an email from the graduate coordinator earlier today with links to websites and such, and a copy of the acceptance letter that is being mailed out.

I received an email from the graduate coordinator earlier today with links to websites and such, and a copy of the acceptance letter that is being mailed out.

Same here, plus an invitation to the prospective weekend just now.

Michigan has different admissions committee's for History, Anthropology & History, and History & Women's Studies.  For example, Anthropology & History decisions were officially made over a week ago. I would not worry yet about History & Women's Studies (but I'm 70% sure...which isn't very high) that they already know who they want to admit and are just finalizing a few things.  

Should we give up hope with regards to Harvard? I remember somebody discussed it somewhere but I've lost the thread. Are we sure the official e-mails were not sent out yet?

It's hard to tell, but my impression is they don't do acceptances in waves and someone said the official email went out, so I'm not hopeful.

The contact from Harvard last week seems to have been mostly from POIs, though....

There has been an email by the Chair of the Department to all accepted students, independent of POI contact...

Did you receive that email yourself, sankaty? Hearty congrats if so  :)

Anyone heard a peep out of UPenn? They're about two weeks later than last year at this point.

Hmm, no new links or info on my Anthro/Hist app at Michigan.  No idea what's going on there.  Oh well, Michigan is cold anyway XD

In other news, I've decided that the only way to keep my sanity while I wait is to simply say, "I'm going to York, and I'm taking out $100k in loans to do it, so there."  I haven't accepted the offer (and won't til at least March, I think), but I need to stop being preoccupied by the process and the wait.  I still have a good chance for funding, but I've already prepared myself for that scenario - it's not ideal, but it's better than not going and missing a chance to work with someone who doesn't think I'm Wednesday Addams incarnate due to my topic (mortuary and funerary practices of medieval and early mod Europe).  Deferring remains an option, but I rather not lose a year, you know?   And it also doesn't help that there is a question as to whether I could grab a job to fund my loan bills!

Hmm, no new links or info on my Anthro/Hist app at Michigan.  No idea what's going on there.  Oh well, Michigan is cold anyway XD

In other news, I've decided that the only way to keep my sanity while I wait is to simply say, "I'm going to York, and I'm taking out $100k in loans to do it, so there."  I haven't accepted the offer (and won't til at least March, I think), but I need to stop being preoccupied by the process and the wait.  I still have a good chance for funding, but I've already prepared myself for that scenario - it's not ideal, but it's better than not going and missing a chance to work with someone who doesn't think I'm Wednesday Addams incarnate due to my topic (mortuary and funerary practices of medieval and early mod Europe).  Deferring remains an option, but I rather not lose a year, you know?   And it also doesn't help that there is a question as to whether I could grab a job to fund my loan bills!

As everyone here has said on the board many times -- think veryyyy deeply about taking out loans for a PhD program (or just don't do it). It's amazing how quickly those loans grow. Especially 100K+. You are going to spend a substantial part of your life in debt. I am still haunted by a 20K student loan from earlier schooling, so that's why I feel the need to warn (even though I'm sure you know this already).

My thesis was on a rather morbid topic; whenever I'd bring it up, no one batted an eyelash :)

Is it possible to defer a year and then reapply to other programs with funding next year and see if something works out? Maybe it might change your options...

While the process of waiting for decisions can be gruesome, remember that there is always next year. You should not take out loans for a PhD in history. Familiarize yourself with the pay of professors, even at leading universities, and you will think again about taking out 100k in loans.

If you need to defer current loans you own, as this has been the motivation behind some of my friends who willingly went into grad school accepting at least 5 years of debt, depending on when you began and finished your schooling you can possibly have it adjusted to either ten or 15% of your current income. But yes, it would be terrifying to come out with a couple hundred thousand dollars in debt but then again it might work out for you in the end. Either way, congratulations on acceptance and the best of luck in these horrendously trying times! :-)

If you wind up adjuncting for $2000 a course (which is a realistic possibility in this field) even a deal that pegs your $100k debt repayment to 10-15% of your income will be financially debilitating and leave you with tens of thousands of dollars in debt piled up on your deathbed even if you die very old. The adjuncting lifestyle is hard enough without such worries dogging you to the grave.

It is more than worth the investment of another year's wait and reapplication not to put oneself in this situation for life.

Edited by czesc

If you wind up adjuncting for $2000 a course (which is a realistic possibility in this field) even a deal that pegs your $100k debt repayment to 10-15% of your income will be financially debilitating and leave you with tens of thousands of dollars in debt piled up on your deathbed even if you die very old. The adjuncting lifestyle is hard enough without such worries dogging you to the grave.

It is more than worth the investment of another year's wait and reapplication not to put oneself in this situation for life.

You are right. Take the lessons you learned from this cycle and apply them to the next.

Congratulations, GradCafénards. It seems we've lived through yet another relatively massacre-less start of the week and our applications at many schools that have issued acceptances but not rejections will live to die another day. It must be an especially hard year to decide whose dreams die now and whose agony gets prolonged til April.

Edited by czesc

Hopefully you haven't actually bombed out! The other way to look at it is that there's lots of official decisions / wave admissions / waiting list surprises still to come. 

Anyway, yes. Adjunct salaries vary widely, but $2000 a course is possible; it could be even less (at some schools, $2000 is a maximum). And often the courses are at different universities far from one another. Oh, and you cover health care yourself.

I'm cognizant of the risks involved.  That's not the likely final scenario at all -- however, at this time, I'm just telling myself that so I'm not obsessing over the 5 schools I'm waiting on.  I still need to do my conference this year and complete my thesis, and wasting away in front of the computer is counterproductive to that.  The stress of waiting is affecting my ability to do work.  So I'm telling myself, $100k or not, I'm going.  End of obsession.  Once I can pull my head out of my last cadaver, then I'll actually start thinking logically about deferring or whatever options I have in April.  Worry not, I've not committed fiscal suicide yet. 

I'm cognizant of the risks involved.  That's not the likely final scenario at all -- however, at this time, I'm just telling myself that so I'm not obsessing over the 5 schools I'm waiting on.  I still need to do my conference this year and complete my thesis, and wasting away in front of the computer is counterproductive to that.  The stress of waiting is affecting my ability to do work.  So I'm telling myself, $100k or not, I'm going.  End of obsession.  Once I can pull my head out of my last cadaver, then I'll actually start thinking logically about deferring or whatever options I have in April.  Worry not, I've not committed fiscal suicide yet. 

I'm doing the same...I'm trying to write this damn thesis and get all my stuff together to present at a conference, but I am waiting to hear from literally everyone of my PhD schools...They anxiety of not knowing ANYTHING is really starting to affect my work...

As everyone here has said on the board many times -- think veryyyy deeply about taking out loans for a PhD program (or just don't do it). It's amazing how quickly those loans grow. Especially 100K+. You are going to spend a substantial part of your life in debt. I am still haunted by a 20K student loan from earlier schooling, so that's why I feel the need to warn (even though I'm sure you know this already).

Sometimes you don't have a choice. Most of the PhDs I know here in SoCal take out student loans, because it is near impossible to live on 1500 a month in this area. Depending where I live, I will probably take out more and keep in mind that I have debt from two masters, but I will start paying some it back when I am in grad school. 

Congratulations to all of you who have been admitted to a program(s)!! I just heard back from Yale, so I can join all of you in your excitement and joy! 

Has anyone heard back from UPenn or Stanford?

Hey Congrats! Valerie Hansen from Yale just came to my school for a talk last week. It's a great department. You will love it. 

Anybody heard back from Penn State or NYU? I have been really impatient with this waiting game. My first offer several days ago were total mood savior! 

Edited by getitlow