Fall 2013 Applicants?

runaway

So far, I've only heard back from two schools, South Carolina (rejected) and Arkansas (accepted, no funding). I'm waiting to hear back from Notre Dame, Rice, Tulane, and UGA. I didn't get an invite for an interview for Notre Dame so I'm doubtful about them. Rice just started contacting people so I may hear something tomorrow. No word on Tulane yet. As for UGA, they've had two waves of admitted students so I'm doubtful that I'll get in there either or if I do that I'll get any funding. Anyone else have any info on these schools?

So far, I've only heard back from two schools, South Carolina (rejected) and Arkansas (accepted, no funding). I'm waiting to hear back from Notre Dame, Rice, Tulane, and UGA. I didn't get an invite for an interview for Notre Dame so I'm doubtful about them. Rice just started contacting people so I may hear something tomorrow. No word on Tulane yet. As for UGA, they've had two waves of admitted students so I'm doubtful that I'll get in there either or if I do that I'll get any funding. Anyone else have any info on these schools?

Still waiting on UGA as well. I highly doubt that anything will happen. Looks like they made their decision.

I'm waiting on Tulane as well...

It seems the official notifications for Michigan have gone out. I got one in the e-mail (I live in Thailand, so snail mail will be slow here), and got another personal note from the POI confirming that the official letters were sent today.

Just so you all know.

I wish the UW would just send out their notifications already. I'm getting antsy and just want to know where I'm living for the next two years.

Acceptance just up on the board. By the way, I am not applying to UW for History, so it wasn't me.

Edited by Wicked_Problem

Hey Congrats! Valerie Hansen from Yale just came to my school for a talk last week. It's a great department. You will love it. 

Anybody heard back from Penn State or NYU? I have been really impatient with this waiting game. My first offer several days ago were total mood savior! 

Thank you, getitlow! I am definitely excited to start this fall! Best of luck to you as you wait to hear back from Penn State and NYU.  

Hey Thumbelina, UPenn History and Sociology of Science decisions may be finalized (I received an email last night from the DGS)...(not posted on the results search).  I'm not sure about regular History. 

Thanks so much for the info, jogatoront! 

If you were admitted into the UChicago MA program, would you recommend using it as a springboard into their or another top Phd program? Thanks all and keep your heads up!

Based from what I've gleaned from google, no, although it's hard to get at any firm data. That fact in and of itself is probative for me. 

Acceptance just up on the board. By the way, I am not applying to UW for History, so it wasn't me.

Yeah, I just saw that.

Congrats to whoever that was. The UW is a beautiful school and its a great program. 

Not to mention, Seattle is one of the best cities to live in.

Edited by stillalivetui

Based on what I've read about this process at other schools, might involve ensuring that the recommended applicants meet the minimum requirements for the grad school and that funding packages can be guaranteed, etc.

It appears that UGA is still sending out acceptance letters to their PhD program. Perhaps there is still some hope for those of us waiting to hear from them. Not sure what sort of funding or assistantships are available at this point. 

At a place with all the funding for their admits, the dean or the graduate school usually is just checking that the admits meet basic requirements.  You have to remember that they are basically issuing an employment contract for 3-5 years.  If for example, you look at my yearly tuition, my stipend, my health insurance... it's an expenditure of my institution over the course of my funding of around $500,000.

At places where funding is less secure the department is likely to do something like send a ranked list and the gradschool or dean has to determine how many applicants a department gets.  Where Number 13 on the history list is compared to Number 13 on the sociology list to determine which department gets the 13th admit.

^ This just goes to demonstrate how ridiculously arbitrary this process can be.

In other news, I see a History/French Studies rejection for NYU. I wonder if this is indicative of general History decisions being made?

Edited by czesc