Rejected Offers Information for Waitlisters

Hi everyone,

I though it would be useful if there was some centralized location where people on various waitlists could come to find out if anyone has rejected offers for the schools they are waiting on. I'm not on any waitlists, but I can sympathize with those who are stuck in limbo. I don't expect anyone to think of this as a one-for-one trade-off, but I hope that even the smallest amount of information might provide a modicum of hope. So I thought that anyone who has rejected an offer might post it here with a little bit of info. I hope this might prove somewhat useful to anyone who is facing down the bleak inhumanity that is the waitlist.

I was thinking we should probably post:

School Name

Sub field

Funded/not funded

Type of funding (fellowship or assistantship or combination)

If anyone can think of anything else to add, feel free.

Here is what I have so far:

Washington University in St. Louis

Comparative

Funded (Fellowship/ assitantship)

I plan on rejecting two more in the coming week:

UC Davis

Comparative

Funded (assistantship)

SUNY-Binghamton

Comparative

Funded

I hope this info helps!

Edited by Centurion

I just wanted to let everyone know that I have declined two MA offers. I hope that this information helps someone.

University of Chicago, MAPSS

1/2 tuition support

University of Chicago, CIR

1/2 tuition support

Related sidebar: What does "Your application is under review" mean when, according to the results page, they've already announced a number of acceptances and rejections?! Unofficial wait list? Kind of confused, and do not want to get my hopes up.

Declined:

UMaryland -- American/Quant Methods -- Funded

Georgia -- American/Methods -- Funded (+ fellowship)

As far as "under review" goes: I met several people a week or so ago who still hadn't heard from Maryland. I had already heard from and declined their offer. Given that some of these people were into other top programs (OSU, UNC, PSU) I have a hard time believing they were all "unofficially" rejected, or even waitlisted. I think some programs just take their sweet time making decisions.

Declined:

UMaryland -- American/Quant Methods -- Funded

Georgia -- American/Methods -- Funded (+ fellowship)

As far as "under review" goes: I met several people a week or so ago who still hadn't heard from Maryland. I had already heard from and declined their offer. Given that some of these people were into other top programs (OSU, UNC, PSU) I have a hard time believing they were all "unofficially" rejected, or even waitlisted. I think some programs just take their sweet time making decisions.

Thanks for letting us know. I'm one of those Maryland limbo people, although maybe that's not too surprising considering its Feb 1 closing date. I guess the most confusing part for me is that there already seems to have been a Maryland cull around the turn of the month, but that could have just been for specific subfields or on some cut-off factors, before narrowing to final decisions. Ahh, the mysteries of admissions...

My declines:

School Name: University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill

Sub field: Theory

Funded/not funded: Funded

Type of funding: Assistantship/fellowship combination

School Name: Cornell University

Type of funding: Fellowship

School Name: The University of Minnesota - Twin Cities

School Name: The University of Pennsylvania (*I was wait-listed here*)

Edited by Green_Bee