Clark University

Has anyone else applied to Clark University in Massachusetts? I haven't seen many people mentioning it in the forums so I am curious. I applied for the International Development and Social Change program and the more I read about it, the better the program seems! I applied initially because it isn't too far from where I live currently but have been hesitant because it's not a ranked school (I believe they purposefully withdrew from being ranked). If I get accepted (no idea if I will be), do you think Clark would be a strong school to have on a resume? Have you heard anything positive or negative about the IDSC program?

Any input is appreciated!

Applied: Columbia TC, University of London- Institute of Education, NYU, Clark University, Lund University Sweden

Accepted: Columbia TC, University of London- Institute of Education

Waiting: NYU, Clark University, Lund University Sweden

I applied to the dual MBA/CDP program. It does seem like a pretty awesome program, though I have misgivings about worcester. I was in the peace corps with someone who is in the program now, and is really happy with his choice. He says the CDP stuff is very focused on worcester itself.

Isn't that pretty different from the other ed programs you've applied to?

Edited by kalidousow

I applied to the dual MBA/CDP program. It does seem like a pretty awesome program, though I have misgivings about worcester. I was in the peace corps with someone who is in the program now, and is really happy with his choice. He says the CDP stuff is very focused on worcester itself.

Isn't that pretty different from the other ed programs you've applied to?

It's different in that it is not a program focused on education within development, like the international education programs I applied for at the other schools. The International Development and Social change program is not focused on Worcester as much as some of their other programs and it gives you the freedom to explore a focus, so in my case, education within the context of development. I applied for a handful of programs that are each pretty different from each other so that makes the choice even more difficult.

I'm with you on your feelings about Worcester. I visited the campus and had a hard time picturing myself living there, which is why I'd love to see how other people felt about Clark. I'm thinking about contacting some alumni to see because I'd hate to pass up a good program due to misgivings about living in Worcester :-/

I am a current MBA student at Clark. Living in Worcester has its challenges, but it also has plenty of benefits you don't always appreciate right away. There's a great arts scene, several world-class museums (Worcester Art Museum, Higgins Armory), and Worcester's geographic location makes it easy to get to nearly any place in New England. While Worcester doesn't have much of a downtown, there is plenty to do - you may just have to find those things yourself.

Honestly, I wish the dual MBA program you mentioned was available when I started (I'm part time so it's taking a couple years). Don't let Worcester turn you away from the great programs at Clark.

I heard from clark today! Admitted to the dual mba/cdp program with 75% :) First school to get back to me about funding and I'm pretty thrilled about it. I'm probably going to do the visitor day next month to see how I feel about the city.

Edited by kalidousow

I heard from clark today! Admitted to the dual mba/cdp program with 75% :) First school to get back to me about funding and I'm pretty thrilled about it. I'm probably going to do the visitor day next month to see how I feel about the city.

Congrat kalidousow....I'm still waiting..

I know for the IDSC program results will be emailed this week. I'm not sure if that helps you but maybe this means results for your program will be released this week as well!

Thanks, hope it will come this week. I'm GISDE. hope to see you in clark.

Could anyone give more information on the IDSC and/or living in Worcester? I've been accepted to the program, but right now I'm considering between Clark and AU.

I probably know as much about the program as you do so instead I can comment on Worcester. It's an urban setting that has a handful of universities within the city limits. I think that would be a bonus because you could meet lots of other students. Worcester is situated in the central part of Massachusetts so you could travel to NYC and Boston easily. I recently visited the Clark campus and while I really liked the school buildings themselves, I did not like the surrounding area. It may be the kind of place that you grow to love once you've been there for a bit and get to know the best spots though. I've also heard Worcester has a strong arts community so that's positive. Clark has a lot of international students as well so I think there would be a lot of support for students new to the US. BUT the winters in Worcester are tough! Very snowy and cold. Sorry that my response is kind of all over the place. I am considering the same option as you so I'm trying to weight the good against the bad. But honestly, considering that you would be coming to the US to study for the first time (?), I think D.C. is a better choice. You will get a better experience living there than central Massachusetts, but that's just my humble opinion.

Anyone interested in Clark Uni

I probably know as much about the program as you do so instead I can comment on Worcester. It's an urban setting that has a handful of universities within the city limits. I think that would be a bonus because you could meet lots of other students. Worcester is situated in the central part of Massachusetts so you could travel to NYC and Boston easily. I recently visited the Clark campus and while I really liked the school buildings themselves, I did not like the surrounding area. It may be the kind of place that you grow to love once you've been there for a bit and get to know the best spots though. I've also heard Worcester has a strong arts community so that's positive. Clark has a lot of international students as well so I think there would be a lot of support for students new to the US. BUT the winters in Worcester are tough! Very snowy and cold. Sorry that my response is kind of all over the place. I am considering the same option as you so I'm trying to weight the good against the bad. But honestly, considering that you would be coming to the US to study for the first time (?), I think D.C. is a better choice. You will get a better experience living there than central Massachusetts, but that's just my humble opinion.

Anyone interested in Clark University/Worcester should read my post I agree with with everything you said.

• 11 months later...

I applied there. It is one of the top human geography programs in the country and is fully funded so it's really competitive. I did not get in.

I grew up in Worcester, and I can tell you that it is a lot nicer of a city than it used to be. During the 80s/90s, Worcester was really depressed economically, and everything there felt pretty bleak. I moved away and returned in 2000, then left again and have continued to visit the city off and on, to see family and friends. There are now many things to do there, far more than before. The restaurants on Shrewsbury Street are nice, there is a good mix of people and cultures, there are some great treasures like the Worcester Art Museum and Mechanics Hall - which has the largest pipe organ in the hemisphere - as well as a number of well respected colleges, like the College of the Holy Cross and Clark University.

I don't know about the area around Clark itself. It used to be notorious for crime, but I think the university has played some role in changing that. I don't know if they are still open, but there used to be some very good Puerto Rican restaurants in the area.

The art scene is worthwhile as well. Further, if you get bored, jump on the MBTA commuter train (that is relatively new) and take it into Boston for like, $7.

My advice: you're in college to learn, so spend most of your time doing that. If you have a few frees hours to kill each day, there are things to do in the city itself. If you have more time, enjoy Boston or seeing a show in Providence.

P.S.: For a really nice bar, I recommend Armsby Abby on Main Street. A really good selection of beers from around the world on tap, and it rivals anything we have here in New York City.

• 4 months later...

I'll be starting my final semester at Clark in August. I transferred in after my freshmen year at Clemson University. I looked for the polar opposite of my first school, and Clark was it!

The people at Clark are amazing! My professors are so knowledgeable, approachable, friendly, and willing to help whenever they can. (In the history department at least.) As I've begun applying to graduate programs and learning more about my professors at Clark, I'm becoming quite impressed with my school. The don't call Clark a "little ivy" for nothing! Clark has a very friendly and accepting atmosphere. Everyone on campus is a little quirky, and everyone is proud to be a Clarkie.

Worcester was the first true city I ever lived in. Coming from small towns in the rural South, I was TERRIFIED of Worcester because it had an iffy reputation. However, campus police has upped the safety every year I've been there, they're friendly, and you see them all the time around campus. Honestly, you'll most likely only encounter trouble if you're not being smart. Don't walk around alone at night, be with friends, etc and you'll be fine.

The food in Worcester is pretty great too. Annie's Clark Brunch, (located RIGHT on campus) has the best breakfast food I've ever had in my life! After going a few times, Annie and her daughter Meagan knew my order, and I joked with the waiters (fellow Clarkies). Worcester has amazing diners, and a pretty decent food selection for not being a huge city.

Transferring to Clark was the biggest jump I've taken in my young life, and I'm so happy that I did it! I truly believe that my education there has set me up for success in the future. Worcester grows on you and Clark is a great school.

I'm glad that you like my fair hometown so much. Your'e right in saying that it does have a lot of good restaurants. I know it's not near Clark, but I recommend the Boulevard Diner over on Shrewsbury Street if you want something to eat late at night. It's got a very authentic feeling. Also, the Vietnamese restaurants on Park Ave I'm sure you know of already.

Ohhhhh yes! I actually haven't made it over to the Boulevard yet, but since it's 24hours (if I'm not mistaken) I have it on my bucket list to go in late at night this upcoming semester. I have yet to have a bad diner experience in Worcester. They're all great.  :wub:  

I told my boyfriend about your review of the Armsby Abbey as we had been debating going there, and it's definitely made the list now. We're very excited to go and try it out.

I'm not sure about the Boulevard's hours. Since I've only been there at night, I'm not sure if they are open during the day. I know some of the diners in Worcester are like that. But, since you aren't planning to go during the day, that shouldn't be a problem. If you're into good bars with good beers on tap, check out Green Street. (That's an actual street, not a bar name.) It used to be really scuzzy and run down - when I first started going there; don't know what that says about me - but it's changed a lot. There's a little bar - on the right hand side of the street if you're coming toward the bridge facing downtown - that has some good stuff on tap. And check out Hotel Vernon in Kelley Square, too. It's also a place that used to be really, really shady, but now is only partially so. It's got an odd mix of characters, from working-class locals to hipsters. And it's got a room shaped like a boat!