Georgetown MSFS decisions starts

I received an offer of admission today, yay!!!! They say that the official offer and any financial aid awarded is going to be available in the coming days on Apply Yourself!

Following on my previous post, I received today the official offer of admission; no financial aid was awarded :/

Following on my previous post, I received today the official offer of admission; no financial aid was awarded :/

Same here. It really makes the choice tougher, doesn't it? Plenty of people have shared their opinions on large (enormous) debt burdens, but something keeps telling me that being part of such a tiny class from such a great school might make it all worth it...

:wacko:

Not that anyone asked... but this is my theory on the delayed decisions:

I've heard through the grapevine (a very reliable source), that was the first year SFS is enforcing a cap for each program. Since I've never worked in admissions, I'm not sure exactly what that means - but I'm guessing it means they have to assume very high matriculation rates. They also don't want to scare off competitive but not top tier (me, perhaps?) candidates by unnecessarily putting them on the wait list. So they sent out a first batch, and are waiting for some idea of matriculation rate before sending out the rest? Thoughts? Theories?

Same here. It really makes the choice tougher, doesn't it? Plenty of people have shared their opinions on large (enormous) debt burdens, but something keeps telling me that being part of such a tiny class from such a great school might make it all worth it...

:wacko:

I agree with you; also, GU has always been my dream school... :/

Although I am willing to take on debt, I was (ideally) expecting some aid from the University, since right now I can't borrow 130+K that would cost me to attend GU :(

I've heard through the grapevine (a very reliable source), that was the first year SFS is enforcing a cap for each program. Since I've never worked in admissions, I'm not sure exactly what that means - but I'm guessing it means they have to assume very high matriculation rates. They also don't want to scare off competitive but not top tier (me, perhaps?) candidates by unnecessarily putting them on the wait list. So they sent out a first batch, and are waiting for some idea of matriculation rate before sending out the rest? Thoughts? Theories?

I love this theory. And while I'll latch onto anything to placate my neurosis, it actually does make some sense. With open houses and enrollment deadlines approaching, fretting about the impact of a waitlist would make sense. I know my WL from SIPA means it's not even an option because I need to know what city I'll be in before this summer.

Come on COB deluge...

e: If we're going to go ahead and jump on this unfounded rumor (let's do it!), I would imagine that the next batch of admits would happen next week after each program as a more solid matriculation estimate.

Edited by Coloradical

My theory is that they send out the first batch of notifications to those who were 'easy decisions'; the best applicants were accepted right away and vice versa. That leaves a bunch applications which are more difficult decisions. For these, the admission committee stalks thegradcafe.com and tries to match posters with applicants in order to track all their posts and better understand the applicants' thoughts and personalities.

I'm just kidding, but some people post so much detailed information about their application that I don't think it would be hard for the admission staff to examine the forums for a few hours and match posters with applications. I'd imagine they'd try to do the same thing with facebook. All schools make facebook pages and a lot of us 'Like' them; this makes it easier for the schools to track us down and examine our profiles.

On a more serious note, I read here or in another thread a rumor stating that earlier decisions at some schools are based not only on your application but also on the likelihood an applicant would accept an offer of admission. In other words, a middle of the pack applicant perceived as being likely to accept an offer could get an earlier notification. Combined with dcenergygirl's rumor, it kind of makes sense to me.

I don't know. It's just a generic "congrats on acceptance" e-mail. It says:

"Over the next several days we will be working with the Graduate School to prepare your official admission and scholarship offers for viewing in Apply Yourself. When your letter is ready to be viewed, you will receive an e-mail from Apply Yourself. If you have received a scholarship, it will appear as part of your admission letter in Apply Yourself."

Nope! Honestly, I haven't been able to decide between Fletcher and SAIS and I hadn't even considered Georgetown since that seemed like counting chickens before they hatched. Time to re-evaluate....and celebrate!

I'll be at the open house of all three.

also still waiting. i spoke to admissions, and apparently they just have a big backlog. the girl seemed to actually get concerned when i mentioned i was already in my decision making process was about to start turning down other offers, and said if it comes down to the wire (implying i might not actually get a decision this week) to call back next week and she would see if they could expedite my application. apparently they're just really slow.

appreciate you guys for the info! i've heard from all the schools i've applied to, and just pending SFS, and getting accepted to SFS may swing my decision a whole deal, so I got real worried. great to know they're still sending out decisions. thanks!

Seriously. I just spent a week and a half agonizing over Fletcher v. SAIS before I found out I was admitted to SFS. And I am REALLY enjoying the SFS admitted student chat - they have faculty, alumni, current students, you name it!

After an (almost) agonizing two weeks, I just got waitlisted today. MSFS is my top choice, and the the details in the letter are pretty sparse -- except to indicate that if you do not wish to remain on the waitlist, to send an e-mail.

Anyone know if it would be appropriate to contact them to express my continued interest? Any other insight any of you may have regarding folks getting off the waitlist would be appreciated. Thank you.