Welcome to the 2012-2013 cycle

When is Penn States' visitation? I am assuming that since I've not heard anything from them, that there's still a really slim chance that I might get an offer if enough of those who have been accepted turn theirs down (I've not seen any rejections posted for this cycle either)

It's this weekend

Today was entirely too quiet. Actually, this whole week was fairly quiet, except for the bloodbaths. Does this mean tomorrow is the big day for admits? 

I think it's very likely that we will see both Yale and Princeton sending out their admission decisions tomorrow. In the last five years Princeton has never done it later than February 21st.

I think it's very likely that we will see both Yale and Princeton sending out their admission decisions tomorrow. In the last five years Princeton has never done it later than February 21st.

Gulp. What a way to start the weekend...

What does everyone think Harvard is doing?  Results history on Gradcafe says they've never started acceptances later than Feb. 25 (Monday), but someone posted on the results board that they hoped to get "decisions" out by March 4th.  Perhaps acceptances will come before then and rejection letters will be mailed that week?

Edited by Doorkeeper

What does everyone think Harvard is doing?  Results history on Gradcafe says they've never started acceptances later than Feb. 25 (Monday), but someone posted on the results board that they hoped to get "decisions" out by March 4th.  Perhaps acceptances will come before then and rejection letters will be mailed that week?

When you ask them, they will always tell you the latest day when they would ever announce their decisions. In most cases, I guess, they will do it earlier than when they say. For example on many websites you will find the information that they will announce decisions in March or April, although they most likely do it in February.

As you pointed out, Harvard has never done it later, and there should be no reason for them to do it differently this year. I assume that they want to avoid getting too many emails if they announce a precise day and then cannot stick to it.

Edited by polisciapplicant210

When you ask them, they will always tell you the latest day when they would ever announce their decisions. In most cases, I guess, they will do it earlier than wht they say. For example on many websites you will find the information that they will announce decisions in March or April, although they will most likely do it in February.

As you pointed out, Harvard has never done it later, and there should be no reason for them to do it differently this year. I assume that they want to avoid getting too many emails, if they announce a precise day and then cannot stick to it.

Yikes. With HYP still on the board, tomorrow has the chance to be brutal.

Know I won't be allowed to have my phone or personal computer for all of tomorrow afternoon due to security restrictions. Will hope to hear some of you are accepted to Harvard, Yale and Princeton before I can check my phone! Oh the waiting.

Yikes. With HYP still on the board, tomorrow has the chance to be brutal.

You got that right!  Although I'd assume that anyone who applied to two of them or to all three would be ecstatic to be admitted to "just" one, even if he/she were to get shot down by the other two.  That's one way to keep the Ivy/HYP rivalries going, I suppose.

Edit: grammar

Edited by goforbroke33

I object to Yale finalizing their notifications tomorrow. I want that dream to live just a little bit longer.

By finalizing do you mean sending rejections?

Do you think any waitlists or acceptances are left?

By finalizing do you mean sending rejections?   Do you think any waitlists or acceptances are left?
I think they are mostly done with accepts, those of us left are probably waiting on rejections :(

I think they are mostly done with accepts, those of us left are probably waiting on rejections :(

If that's the case, though, then they accepted a LOT more people last year than this year. Maybe I'm just trying to keep the hope alive for people ;) , but it also looks like they spread out the notifications over a week or more. 

If that's the case, though, then they accepted a LOT more people last year than this year. Maybe I'm just trying to keep the hope alive for people ;) , but it also looks like they spread out the notifications over a week or more. 

Yeah, that's what I was hoping too, but a friend talked to the department and they implied that no news is probably not good news at this point. Still hope (but small).

Yeah, that's what I was hoping too, but a friend talked to the department and they implied that no news is probably not good news at this point. Still hope (but small).

Sad to hear, that was my last one with a small bit of hope! Thanks for the info.

Yeah, that's what I was hoping too, but a friend talked to the department and they implied that no news is probably not good news at this point. Still hope (but small).

If that's the case, it's too bad, but I got a different impression upon emailing the department on Monday.  I think we have yet to see at least a few accepts.  Likewise, there are only 7 accepts on the board thus far.  While that board is not omniscient, and things may vary from season to season, the last three years have seen a total of 11-15 admits (plus waitlisted candidates) on the board, all spread out over several days.  Stay optimistic, folks.

Thank you all for the support and laughs through this process.  Looks like I'm a bust across the board.

I took a lot for granted, didn't develop POIs, didn't get my matches to schools ("fit") lined up very well, and perhaps worst of all I didn't sufficiently clarify my research area or subfield; coming from a Master's in another field, so many subfields and research areas sounded good to me!  Having 3.7 in MA, GRE composite of 324, and some other pluses, I figured some program would take me... but that's just not enough at this level!  Learned a lot from you all, and I have a great respect for what it takes to land a good spot ~ congratulations to those of you who pulled it off. 

I'm going to put my search results addiction to rest, but I'll check in to see where you've all gone... perhaps later this year I'll start a "round two" thread, haha.  Best of luck to you all!

The thought of this cycle coming to an end very soon is depressing! I can honestly say that I learned the importance of "fit" this year the hard way (though I still have a few schools to hear back from - mostly negative I am assuming). 

The thought of this cycle coming to an end very soon is depressing! I can honestly say that I learned the importance of "fit" this year the hard way (though I still have a few schools to hear back from - mostly negative I am assuming). 

Thank you all for the support and laughs through this process.  Looks like I'm a bust across the board.

I took a lot for granted, didn't develop POIs, didn't get my matches to schools ("fit") lined up very well, and perhaps worst of all I didn't sufficiently clarify my research area or subfield; coming from a Master's in another field, so many subfields and research areas sounded good to me!  Having 3.7 in MA, GRE composite of 324, and some other pluses, I figured some program would take me... but that's just not enough at this level!  Learned a lot from you all, and I have a great respect for what it takes to land a good spot ~ congratulations to those of you who pulled it off. 

I'm going to put my search results addiction to rest, but I'll check in to see where you've all gone... perhaps later this year I'll start a "round two" thread, haha.  Best of luck to you all!

This process has indeed been grueling, exhausting, frustrating, and anxiety-inducing for all of us.  Sometimes the effects of randomness and the stochastic nature of the admissions process causes highly-qualified and motivated candidates to strike out during a particular cycle.  We could debate at length the role of "fit" as well as the value in contacting a POI before applying.  From what I've gathered throughout the last year or so, fit only seems to matter with certain programs, though it's hard to say exactly which.  A given department's size, pedigree, subfield needs, composition of the adcomm, etc. could all impact the relative importance of fit.  As far as contacting POIs, I've heard both sides.  For what it's worth, I did not contact any, after a lot of discussion with my undergrad advisors and a lot of internal debate.  I was rejected by a couple schools I would have been thrilled to attend (and have of course asked myself many times why I didn't contact any POIs at these schools), but am happy to have been admitted to two great programs thus far.  I wouldn't try to analyze too much after the fact.  There are too many variables.  Someone mentioned a few posts back that one application at a given department could be rejected one year and admitted the next.  All of us, myself included, could heed the advice of William James, who warned about holding too much "antipathy to the idea of chance."

I am sorry to hear that this cycle has not gone well for you. Believe me I understand what you are going through and your attitude is the right one. I hope your next cycle goes well and I wish you the very best. 

If that's the case, it's too bad, but I got a different impression upon emailing the department on Monday.  I think we have yet to see at least a few accepts.  Likewise, there are only 7 accepts on the board thus far.  While that board is not omniscient, and things may vary from season to season, the last three years have seen a total of 11-15 admits (plus waitlisted candidates) on the board, all spread out over several days.  Stay optimistic, folks.

Plus only one of those acceptances was claimed by someone here, I think...

It's probably time for me to let the dream go.