Welcome to the 2012-2013 cycle

If anyone still waits on news from Rutgers, I would suggest calling the department. While my application checker still says 'No Decision,' I have been denied. And this finally brings an end to my application season. For those of you still waiting to hear good new, keep the hope. Time still remains. I wish everyone the best of luck over these next 11 days. :-)

BTW, about Georgetown, I haven't heard yet so I'm assuming my application is rejected, per what everyone else has said already. But if that's the case, then why don't they just send out refusals? I find it a bit mistifying. My hopes aren't riding on my Georgetown application, but just wondering why admission committees work like this.

Have you still not received anything?

Yep I got a decision email the same day I posted on the forum (within a matter of hours, in fact). Its nice to finish my application season and have it all wrapped up! Best of luck to everyone with applications still in the offing, and I look forward to meeting y'all at conferences etc.

This thread has been silent compared to 3 months ago. But I am glad people have begun to settle to their schools. For those still waiting, keep the faith. Believe me, it all works out for you in the end if you are determined! I look forward to meeting all of you in conferences and classes. After all, we are all colleagues now  ^_^

it all works out for you in the end if you are determined!

I think the most frustrating thing is waiting when you can no longer affect the outcome (though at least I hear from reliable source that my waiting will end tomorrow, one way or another).  Kudos on Ohio State! great program, and I hear they have some really nice faculty :)

Hello everyone! I just got an email saying I am on the reserve list at the European University Institute (my first choice). Did anyone else here get their results of the interview at EUI? There's nothing on the results page for SPS! This waiting thing is so frustrating!

• 5 weeks later...

It's one of those days at work where I think if I hadn't been accepted anywhere, I would be having a mental breakdown right now.  July 31 can not come soon enough.

BRING ON THE FALL! 

Those are my sentiments.

BRING ON THE FALL! 

Those are my sentiments.

I feel the same. Do you live in Illinois or are you going to move? I want it to come, but then I do not want it to come, because when it does, it is a 5 year struggle commencing lol

Don't wish away your summers, kiddies.  I know it's hard and you're excited.  But, trust me, there are plenty of us that would kill to be able to spend time with family and friends the way that many folks get to the summer before grad school.

I feel the same. Do you live in Illinois or are you going to move? I want it to come, but then I do not want it to come, because when it does, it is a 5 year struggle commencing lol
Currently not in Illinois. Actually on my way home to Europe right now as I type and will move to Illinois in early August to settle in :)

I am just going to live up everyday and relax, read and sleep.<br /><br />I dont know how i feel about moving to the country for 5 years...but atleast i can get some studying done until the cows come home!

Unless you're one of us who is not coming straight from undergrad, then you're just stuck in a crappy job in a town you hate for the next 3 months.

This is mostly me.

I admit that I have some plans to "get ahead" for school, but I would still advise getting creative and enjoying some hobbies for awhile. My to do list includes:

-building a sous vide bath from a slow cooker, current regulator and probe thermometer

-finishing at least four of the ever-growing stack of bedside novels

-teaching my dog to fetch beer from the mini-fridge

Don't ever, ever, ever wait around for your life to start. 

Another piece of advice I got during law school that's super valuable: define a reasonable amount of time per week that you'll dedicate to work. Stick to it. Do other stuff in your off time. You could work every minute of every day in a PhD program. Don't.

We keep hearing that the PhD is a means to an end; the end is the job we want. That's partly true. The job is a means to an end, too; the ultimate end of a fulfilling, well-rounded life. No matter where you are, no matter what else is going on, your plan of attack to live that life should be multi-front.

We keep hearing that the PhD is a means to an end; the end is the job we want. That's partly true. The job is a means to an end, too; the ultimate end of a fulfilling, well-rounded life. No matter where you are, no matter what else is going on, your plan of attack to live that life should be multi-front.

Well said, and applicable to pretty much any time-intensive career path.

Just accepted an offer from Portland State University for their Masters program with a double-concentration in American and Comparative. 

Very excited!

• 2 months later...

So, my house is nearly empty now as I've consolidated everything I own into what can fit into my car.  I've lived in my place for almost 5 years and this whole next step hasn't felt feel real to me until about 3 days ago, when I started coming home to an empty living room.

As I continue to mentally prepare for what's next, I just wanted to stop by and say how much I appreciated this community during the past year.  The advice and support of everybody here was invaluable to me during the application/waiting process.  This past year was a very difficult one for me for personal reasons unassociated with grad school applications, so having this place as a resource was all the more helpful for me during that time. 

Thanks everyone!  Whether you are headed off to start your programs in the next few weeks, are preparing to apply for a second cycle, or applying for the first time, I wish everyone the best of luck in their next stage!

Right back at ya!