Welcome to the 2012-2013 cycle

While I agree, uncool, the language in the CGS resolution suggests it applies only to financial support/funding.  If an applicant was admitted without funding, the school could set any arbitrary pre-4/15 commitment date they wanted, yes?    Though that seems like an easy way to circumvent the resolution, require a commitment early THEN offer funding to accept/decline by 4/15...

It might be worth arguing the point in principle, but in this case it's a funded offer, and on March 25 both the funding and the offer go away.

Can I take the collective silence to mean that our recruit is being singled out for special treatment?

It might be worth arguing the point in principle, but in this case it's a funded offer, and on March 25 both the funding and the offer go away.

Can I take the collective silence to mean that our recruit is being singled out for special treatment?

Seems really shady.

Big 10 schools wouldn't do this  B)

He/She is probably their top pick

We've recently been contacted by a student who informs us that USC will withdraw its offer of admission if it is not accepted by March 25. USC is a signatory to the Council of Graduate Schools' Resolution Regarding Graduate Scholars, Fellows, Trainees and Assistants, which specifies that "Students are under no obligation to respond to offers of financial support prior to April 15; earlier deadlines for acceptance of such offers violate the intent of this Resolution."

*appropriately surprised emoticon*

I would sooner take it to mean that we are too small of a sample.  The results board suggests USC had roughly 13 admits (10% of 127)  only 2 of which were claimed, not all of those people use the forums and many have been using it less since its now so late in the app cycle.  South Carolina, similarly 3 admits claimed, no indication of how many based on comments.  I don't recall anyone mentioning either USC earlier in the thread.  :(

I'm 99% sure I read a post about a March 25ish deadline (and that person also mentioned that funding information will not be available until that point). Unfortunately, I cannot find the post and thus I also don't know if it was about USC.

Sorry if this doesn't help you much!

He/She is probably their top pick

Possibly. But... let me put it this way. There are very good reasons that programs don't do this. To my mind, a threat to rescind someone's admission before April 15 is an unambiguous signal that you want that person more than you care about what's best for him/her as a scholar. My own knee-jerk reaction to that would be to tell them to go pack sand, unless there's something so crucial about their program that I seriously can't live without it. And if you're a DGS who puts your program's or your faculty's desires ahead of what's best for the students you're recruiting, it's time to move on.

I would sooner take it to mean that we are too small of a sample.  The results board suggests USC had roughly 13 admits (10% of 127)  only 2 of which were claimed, not all of those people use the forums and many have been using it less since its now so late in the app cycle.  South Carolina, similarly 3 admits claimed, no indication of how many based on comments.  I don't recall anyone mentioning either USC earlier in the thread.   :(

Mmm, fair enough. I'd hoped to benefit from the wisdom of the collective, but it's probably less comprehensive than I'd imagined.

I'm 99% sure I read a post about a March 25ish deadline (and that person also mentioned that funding information will not be available until that point). Unfortunately, I cannot find the post and thus I also don't know if it was about USC.

Sorry if this doesn't help you much!

Thanks. I did a bit of searching myself and found one reference, but it was to an unnamed school. Also, this website is vast.

And if you're a DGS who puts your program's or your faculty's desires ahead of what's best for the students you're recruiting, it's time to move on.

+1

Do you realize that you have to hire new staff for next application season to handle the extra 100 applications you’ll receive due to your great posts?! ^_^

Anyone heard a good news from CUNY?

I can find only some rejection posts on the results board. I know one applicant who was unofficially informed the offer, but no one declares official offer yet.

At this point, should I call or email them for my status? 

Edited by lunarrabbit

I just got accepted to do a poster presentation at APSA.

Is this a big deal? How excited should I get?

I'd be excited!  Congrats!  It sounds like you're having a really good week, glad to hear hard work is paying off!

Nice, congratulations! It's a very exciting thing in my opinion. :)

+1

Do you realize that you have to hire new staff for next application season to handle the extra 100 applications you’ll receive due to your great posts?! ^_^

I'll be sure to forward this to the Dean.  :lol:  Thanks.

Yup, it's a big deal. I recommend having down a one-sentence and a one-paragraph version of your project, in case people want to talk to you about it. Also, when you're done with the first version of the poster, reduce the number of words by 50%.  ^_^

I'll be sure to forward this to the Dean.  :lol:  Thanks.

Yup, it's a big deal. I recommend having down a one-sentence and a one-paragraph version of your project, in case people want to talk to you about it. Also, when you're done with the first version of the poster, reduce the number of words by 50%.  ^_^

Ok, great thanks. Maybe I'll reduce it further and haiku up my paper.

If my funding falls through then hopefully a presentation will boost my admission chances next year.

Ok, great thanks. Maybe I'll reduce it further and haiku up my paper.

If my funding falls through then hopefully a presentation will boost my admission chances next year.

You laugh, but I recommend that my students attend Pecha Kucha at least once, to get a sense of what a concise presentation is.  ^_^

And yes, a presentation definitely doesn't hurt.

Edited by BFB

BTW, about Georgetown, I haven't heard yet so I'm assuming my application is rejected, per what everyone else has said already. But if that's the case, then why don't they just send out refusals? I find it a bit mistifying. My hopes aren't riding on my Georgetown application, but just wondering why admission committees work like this.

For those of you still waiting on news from Rutgers, I have heard that everyone will be notified by the end of next week. From what I recall, some of you might be interested to know that.

Is that regarding acceptances or for funding info? Tomorrow is their admitted students day.

Well, I will be darned. So far as I understood it, they had yet to announce all their acceptances. Perhaps they have a bunch of students on an informal waitlist and expect to notify those individuals shortly. They might have a pretty good idea of what their yield will be after the admitted students day . . .

Is that regarding acceptances or for funding info? Tomorrow is their admitted students day.

Well, I will be darned. So far as I understood it, they had yet to announce all their acceptances. Perhaps they have a bunch of students on an informal waitlist and expect to notify those individuals shortly. They might have a pretty good idea of what their yield will be after the admitted students day . . .

My app still says "no decision" and there is a rejection on the board, so they've updated the online stuff for at least some applicants.