Welcome to the 2012-2013 cycle

Congratulations!

It is. I have to decide between the two, and I'm almost sure which one I want to accept! But still not a 100%.

Well good luck with the final decision!! I know what I'm leaning towards also, but I'm definitely approaching visit weekends with an open mind. And then there's the waitlist factor.... Looking forward to April 15 for sure!!

87101440.jpg

Congratulations to everyone that received a great admission this cycle. To the rest, chin up and good luck with whatever you take on next.

87102117.jpg

I see you are drinking an AnchorSteam. While I do not drink, some of my colleagues  in my department love it, which means you have some good taste.  :P

Huge congrats! Interesting after Nexon had posted that they had notified all their admits. Must have had a spot or two that opened. 

I'm not sure. I know I applied for a dual program, and had gotten into the "dual" half... maybe that played a role? Still very excited.

For those who asked, I originally heard from the MA program I was accepted to dual in. This was followed a few hours later by a letter from the Department of Government. Very excited!

I'm not sure. I know I applied for a dual program, and had gotten into the "dual" half... maybe that played a role? Still very excited.

For those who asked, I originally heard from the MA program I was accepted to dual in. This was followed a few hours later by a letter from the Department of Government. Very excited!

Congrats!! 

Hypothetical: I accept an offer, but after April 15th I am notified that I got off the waitlist to my #1 choice. What are my options?

And this is why I think waitlists should not exist. 

I hope people finalize their decisions before the 15th!

Congrats!! 

Thanks! Nothing was mentioned about funding, so I'm not too positive on that front... I did receive a scholarship for the MA portion though. Hoping for the best, none the less! It feels so good to be in somewhere finally.

Hypothetical: I accept an offer, but after April 15th I am notified that I got off the waitlist to my #1 choice. What are my options?

Isn't there some sort of agreement we have to sign?

This is what I'm worried about, too.

I heard from previous alternates to GWU that they didn't hear their offers until "late" on April 15th.

Edited by gdubs

This is what I'm worried about, too.

I heard from previous alternates to GWU that they didn't hear their offers until "late" on April 15th.

Great. I was checking the results board and for some of the schools I am waiting for that did accept people off the waitlists they were not notified until the 24th and the 26th!

Isn't there some sort of agreement we have to sign?

I have no idea. 

Congratulations to everyone that received a great admission this cycle. To the rest, chin up and good luck with whatever you take on next.

Oh, you just made my day!! Although this hat looks like it could need some hot chilli sauce  ;) .

I also want to congratulate everyone on their acceptances. If you didn't get one you shouldn't give up! You have a year to become the best version of yourself and to be competitive when you apply next year! I'd also like to ask people who are still around to post their profiles. This thread helped me tremendously when I reapplied as I got a clearer picture of what I should do to become more competitive! 

I loved the spirit on this forum this cycle! You're guys are great!

Congratulations to everyone who got an offer! My best wishes to the rest and whatever you will do next.

My cycle is over as well. Only got offered by Emory and rejected everywhere else (strangely, I have not had an official rejection from Harvard at all, but I should be right in assuming the worst). I've been talking with and emailing the DGA, DGS, POI, former and current graduate students in the program to try to come to a decision about whether to go or not. There are so many push and pull factors..........

Oh, you just made my day!! Although this hat looks like it could need some hot chilli sauce  ;) .

I also want to congratulate everyone on their acceptances. If you didn't get one you shouldn't give up! You have a year to become the best version of yourself and to be competitive when you apply next year! I'd also like to ask people who are still around to post their profiles. This thread helped me tremendously when I reapplied as I got a clearer picture of what I should do to become more competitive! 

I loved the spirit on this forum this cycle! You're guys are great!

What does it mean 'post your profile'?

Thanks chaetzli, will do.

This is probably a stupid question, but what do people think about the dress for visiting days? A nice shirt is assumed, but couple it with slacks and dress shoes or jeans? What do you all think?

This is probably a stupid question, but what do people think about the dress for visiting days? A nice shirt is assumed, but couple it with slacks and dress shoes or jeans? What do you all think?

I've thought about this as well.  I would say it's to some extent a function of the departmental culture (which is of course hard for all of us to assay before having visited!), but I am thinking of erring more toward the casual side than the formal side of things.  A nice (read: collared and pressed) shirt and jeans/slacks with dress shoes should be fine.  As a guy, I'm not going to wear a suit, though some certainly will.  As someone mentioned elsewhere, political scientists aren't known for being fashion forward, and although we've already been admitted, first impressions do still matter--big time.  Some might consider my opinions to be in poor taste, especially since I'm electing to forgo a suit, tie, and the like, but I'd rather avoid haughtiness and be myself while meeting with potential advisors and committee members.

Great. I was checking the results board and for some of the schools I am waiting for that did accept people off the waitlists they were not notified until the 24th and the 26th!

Oh what? What school is this?

I checked GWU and I didn't see anyone report when they got off the alternate list.

nice casual (e.g. nice shirt/sweater and nice jeans) is almost always the best way to go.  when in doubt, e-mail a student in that department and ask them what students/faculty usually wear.  you will probably feel a bit odd if you're in a suit and the faculty are in jeans.  in my department, faculty don't dress differently for the visit than they do the rest of the year, and neither do current students.  people in suits usually look a bit uncomfortable :)

Excellent photos!

GopherGrad, I will miss you!  Your insights and encouragement have been really helpful, your fellow UCSD admits are lucky to have you as a classmate :) 

Hey guys, 

Congrats with all the acceptances! Could anyone please tell me what are the visiting days for Michigan and WUSTL admits? Thanks a lot!

Michigan is this upcoming weekend (March 14-16 to be precise). You should have heard from them, no?