Welcome to the 2012-2013 cycle

PhDHopeful et al., what's the general view in the field on Temple as a Phd producing institution?

I can't speak to the general view in the field (would be curious to hear it), but i think they actually do place a fair number of graduates at smaller colleges in the greater Philadelphia area.  I would be curious to hear anyone's input on Temple's program, actually.

I went to Temple, got accepted to the History PhD program, and declined. Their funding situation is abysmal. If they can guarantee funding, then it may be worth it. But if it is a year-by-year situation, then be prepared to have your funding cut off in the middle of the program.

Pennsylvanians hate higher education apparently and the state has cut the schools budget. Tuition jumped up dramatically in the past couple years.

Congratulations!  Seems like you will have a decision to make.

Yes!  And of course now I'm focusing on the waitlist scenarios.... not sure how likely it is to get off the waitlist, but it would certainly impact my decisions.... Is your cycle over?

I went to Temple, got accepted to the History PhD program, and declined. Their funding situation is abysmal. If they can guarantee funding, then it may be worth it. But if it is a year-by-year situation, then be prepared to have your funding cut off in the middle of the program.

Pennsylvanians hate higher education apparently and the state has cut the schools budget. Tuition jumped up dramatically in the past couple years.

Yes you are correct here.  I am definitely aware of the PA higher edu draconian funding atmosphere, and with Temple being a state school, PhD funding is alwasy at risk....  It's unfortunate....

Just got news that I've been accepted at Georgetown!

Apologies for not offering my congrats! but congratulations! That's an awesome program. 

Does anyone know if Georgetown has sent out rejections yet? They are the only program I haven't heard from.

Don't laugh.

I have this huge interview coming up for something that I proposed and I suggested using a model that I have no experience in using (I do a have quant background though). My proposal was in my area of "expertise," but it also heavily crosses over into the land of security and peace/conflict studies and depends heavily on sufficient/necessary conditions. 

I guess my main question is: how do I bullshit my way through an interview and make it sound like I know what I am talking about? Obviously, I am going through and listing all of the potential weak spots in my proposal and how I will alleviate them. 

I've never been interviewed based on a proposal before, so if anyone has experience and would like to share some tips...

Why not read up on the topic so that, instead of having to bullshit your way through the interview, you can actually speak with some knowledge about it?

Guest hopefulfool

Why not read up on the topic so that, instead of having to bullshit your way through the interview, you can actually speak with some knowledge about it?

I have read up on the topic, so I know what I am talking about. I am just freaking out that they will ask a random question that only an expert on security studies would know.

I've also memorized articles, author names, dates they were published, what journals they were published in, etc. 

Do you think my control variables will be criticized? 

Edited by hopefulfool

I have read up on the topic, so I know what I am talking about. I am just freaking out that they will ask a random question that only an expert on security studies would know.

I've also memorized articles, author names, dates they were published, what journals they were published in, etc. 

Do you think my control variables will be criticized? 

I am stressing out about mine as well. Sorry I am no help. Wanted you to know that I am suffering with you. 

Well with my final rejection my second cycle is also a bust.  I was only able to apply to 4 schools this cycle due to geographic restrictions, but I'm 0-16 over the past two years.  I guess I'll have another go around next year, but I feel bad having to tell my recommenders that I failed again (and having to ask them for their recommendations again next year).  I'm already in another degree program (and thus my geographic restrictions), so at least I'll have something to do for the next year.

This has been quite a frustraing process considering my recommenders have all worked with me a great deal on my applications and have said I'm a strong candidate.  I even had internal faculty support at two of the programs I applied to this year, so I guess you can never really be sure.

Edited by Doorkeeper

Just got news that I've been accepted at Georgetown!

Congratulations!

Yes!  And of course now I'm focusing on the waitlist scenarios.... not sure how likely it is to get off the waitlist, but it would certainly impact my decisions.... Is your cycle over?

It is. I have to decide between the two, and I'm almost sure which one I want to accept! But still not a 100%.