Is location everything?

FireBird

anyone-else-leveling-alts.jpg

So I have been up all night trying to figure out where the hell I want to go. I feel a lot like this Iady. I figured I would apply to five schools and go where ever I got in. Jokes on me, I got into every single one except Columbia. While I realize this is NOT the worst problem to have, hear me out.

The Lucky Four:

Berkeley

NYU - Reporting in NY

Mizzou

CUNY

Now I really love Berkeley's program, and as a life long New Yorker, it might be great to get the hell out of dodge, but NY is where everything is happening!

And then there is Mizzou.... which is in the middle of no where, but has a great program.

CUNY is good too, but luckily I still have a lot of my undergrad savings as I had a scholarship, so I can splurge for name recognition.

I think I'm leaning towards NYU or Berkeley but that still doesn't help me with my location problems.

Thoughts? Has anyone had any similar issues, even with different schools? :)

I chose Columbia for the location, if I didn't get into Columbia (i got waitlisted at NYU) i don't know what I would have done. I was considering Medill, but i want to concentrate in magazine journalism, and NYC is perfect for that. That's basically what motivated me to choose - but then, it depends on your specialization.

Hmmm. It is hard for me because I am just looking for grad school to refine my reporting skills and that is kind of broad. But did you find that you have gotten better opportunities by choosing New York? Better internships and or freelance opportunities?

Totally agree with the photo above. I am kind of in the same dilemma.

I did journalism at NYU and have been working in New York for the past year. I want to develop my multimedia skills so I thought I'd go back to school for digital media. I was accepted to Northwestern, Berkeley and Columbia. Northwestern is a bit too close to home, and I don't really want to live in suburban Chicago, so I've basically ruled it out. Now the tough part is choosing between Berkeley and Columbia. I feel that Berkeley has the better digital/new media program, but Columbia is Columbia and is located in New York, where I would like to ultimately end up I think. I feel in my gut that I'm leaning toward Berkeley, but it's so hard letting go of Columbia, especially since I'm not sure what kinds of opportunities/connections I'd find in San Fran.

Any advice?

I feel the same! I think I will honestly get a better education at Berkeley than I would at NYU. Their program is way more flexible. But I feel like thats only one piece of a good J-school. I am leaning towards Berkeley but it is also hard to let go of NYU, a school I have always wanted to go to and is in New York City where I currently live and know. Not to mention NOTHING beats NYC.

FireBird,

I don't know IF I'll have better job opportunities in NYC - I do know it's where the magazine industry is based and that CU's career fair is excellent, so i hope it will be the case. What I like about NYU AND Columbia is that they both incorporate the city into their curriculum, so if your immediate plans include moving back to NYC, it might be better for you to stay at NYU.