Temple University

filizg

I couldn't see any result post or topic on that. Is there anybody waiting from Temple University- Brain and Cognitive Sciences. March is almost over, and I will make a decision according to this result.

What would you recommend about Temple University and area and University of Nevada, Reno. It seems like I need to choose one of them.

Thanks!

I couldn't see any result post or topic on that. Is there anybody waiting from Temple University- Brain and Cognitive Sciences. March is almost over, and I will make a decision according to this result.

What would you recommend about Temple University and area and University of Nevada, Reno. It seems like I need to choose one of them.

Thanks!

I didn't apply Temple University because I did not like the location of the school, the crime rate in that area is extremely high. Temple is located in the "bad" part of the Philadelphia, Safety is my number 1 concern when I applying to a school.

You can see it yourself here. http://css.ocis.temple.edu/crime_reporting/annual_statistics.pdf It's the statistics from 2008 ~ 2010.

Edited by SPDFG13579

I applied and was accepted to Temple's Counseling Psychology program. It's a great program, but my only reservation is the area. I'm told by friends that live in Philadelphia that it's a great school in a terrible area and to "never leave the campus alone."

Made me a little nervous.

Isn't it possible then living in a safer area, and driving/riding/taking bus to the school then? I had never been to that ares (I'm not from States), therefore a little bit info about the area would be appreciated.

I live in Philadelphia, in the Art Museum area. It's really easy to get to/from Temple from here, and it's quite safe here. I live with 3 people that went to Temple undergrad, and they lived all around Philly (UC, CC, South) during that time, but never near Temple's campus (that said, campus proper is safer). Philadelphia is an awesome city and I've never had any problems. The common sense rules apply. PM me if you have any questions about the area, and places to live.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm so excited to finally be a part of this site, and even more excited to be find someone I can help perfectly!

I'm finishing my last credit hour at Temple for my undergrad Neuroscience and have been involved with Dr Chein's lab for a long time and know several of the other researchers in the cog sci. program. So if there is someone you are interested in knowing about send me an email and maybe I can help out with any apprehension.

The area around Temple isn't the nicest. To be honest when I lived off campus around the school every house on my block was robbed, and you'll hear of worse things happening. That being said, grad students DO NOT live around campus and being on campus is very safe. Mostly grad students live around the art museum area or northern liberties/fishtown, sometimes somewhere else in a much nicer place in the city where safety is pretty on par with most cities.

You can get to and from campus by riding the subway, which drops you off right by the building where most of your classes will be. You can also take a bus or even bike ridding in from other areas is safe, it's just spending time milling around outside campus or living in north philly that's unsafe.

We have a very nice school, and a really great cog sci. program. Safety concerns seem to scare some people away, but for grad students it's never really an issue. You'll only be around campus not in troublesome areas.

Let me know if you have any other concerns.