Fall 2013 English Lit Applicants

But really, guys, is anyone gonna claim the Delaware acceptance? 

I'll claim it if no one else will. It's like when you're at Starbucks and someone's drink comes up, and they call the name but no one comes to take it. Aren't you ever tempted to just take it and drink it yourself? And then also drink your coffee when it's ready? Because you are addicted to caffeine and, like a junky, morality becomes a tertiary concern?

Hello, all

I guess this is sort of a re-intro. This is my third application season, and I didn't come here much last time around because it tends to make me an anxious mess. But I was already having a panic attack today, so it didn't seem like it would do much harm.  I've been trying to be very zen this time around, as I do have a teaching job in the fall should all else fail. But I miss school--this was the first year in 22 that I haven't been in some school, and I want to go back.  Not to mention the bank-breaking apps do every year.  And...I'd like to be the one receiving congratulations-mixed-with-soul-sucking-envy, instead of giving it, for once.

Anyway...I really didn't have much more to say than that.  I'm going to go back to refreshing the results page now.   Good luck to everyone here; there are some awesome people on this forum.

Hello, all

I guess this is sort of a re-intro. This is my third application season, and I didn't come here much last time around because it tends to make me an anxious mess. But I was already having a panic attack today, so it didn't seem like it would do much harm.  I've been trying to be very zen this time around, as I do have a teaching job in the fall should all else fail. But I miss school--this was the first year in 22 that I haven't been in some school, and I want to go back.  Not to mention the bank-breaking apps do every year.  And...I'd like to be the one receiving congratulations-mixed-with-soul-sucking-envy, instead of giving it, for once.

Anyway...I really didn't have much more to say than that.  I'm going to go back to refreshing the results page now.   Good luck to everyone here; there are some awesome people on this forum.

I'm pulling for you--what's that wonderfully cliched saying? Third time's the charm? ^_^

First rule though is that there are no rules.

Seriously though, I want to see something today. ... Please?

Well, looks like nothing today. If I don't hear something tomorrow, I think I might lose it.

Edited by dazedandbemused

Well, looks like nothing today. If I don't hear something tomorrow, I think I might lose it.

And then what? Is there any tangible consequence to "losing it"? Will you start smearing shit all over your walls and screaming or something? I'm trying to figure out my own losing-it strategy. Maybe I'll change my name and leave the country, become an international con artist. Maybe I'll become a nude fetish model.

And then what? Is there any tangible consequence to "losing it"? Will you start smearing shit all over your walls and screaming or something? I'm trying to figure out my own losing-it strategy. Maybe I'll change my name and leave the country, become an international con artist. Maybe I'll become a nude fetish model.

Oh hell no. I'm gonna creep along the wall in my bedroom yelling "I'm free! I'm free! The wallpaper couldn't hold me in forever!"

Does anyone else feel incredibly proud when they manage to not look at their computer/email (damn email on phones!) for, like, 2 hours... and then super pissed off when you're not magically rewarded with news for having such amazing self control?

Logicz. THey ekzist. I haz them.

Does anyone else feel incredibly proud when they manage to not look at their computer/email (damn email on phones!) for, like, 2 hours... and then super pissed off when you're not magically rewarded with news for having such amazing self control?

+1 (Out of upvotes!)

YES. I feel like I am making a deal with some benevolent deity every time I step away from my computer. "Okay, this is how it's going to work. I am going to not look at my computer for FIFTEEN MINUTES, and then I'll check my email and VOILA there will be news. Got it? Got it."

I so do. Though I have resisted the temptation to link my "Grad apps" Email to my phone, and remind myself that that way lies madness every time I'm tempted.  But, alternatively, I've started putting my phone on silent for no reason for hours at a time, and get irrationally upset when I see I have a missed call and it's a number I recognize. My mother has received many of my internal grumblings which she does not deserve...

I did this just this evening, then I looked in and saw a new email!  It rejected my proposal for a conference paper.

tumblr_m248bdx8FR1qexd10.gif

Well, after a full day of clicking "refresh" every 30 minutes on the results search page, no news from anywhere that I applied. BUT, I did at least get some good news. A paper I proposed for a small conference in March got accepted! Granted, it's not a big conference and it's being put on by the Graduate Organization of a lesser known program. But, it will be conference number 3 before starting my PhD, and I'm doing this while taking a gap year (post MA), so it's a line on the CV and an opportunity to air out some new research ideas!

Maybe it's time to stop scouring this site every 20 minutes. I spent some down time at work today searching the last few years of each program I applied to on the results search page. Broke down the schools into "early Feb," "mid Feb," "late Feb," and "March." If the patterns stay the same, I could be hearing from Pitt, Vanderbilt, and Notre Dame any day now. Nervous and excited, because Vanderbilt is my top choice and Notre Dame has very close affiliations with one of my specializations (religion and literature). !!!

I feel just as shitty this year as last year, but I am definitely checking shit a LOT less than I was at this point last year.  in fact, I'm not really checking at all.  I click on the acceptance thread here to see if a school has started notifying people, and then if I don't have an email from that school it sucks.  basically the end of that story.  I haven't logged back into any of my apps since I got confirmation that they were completed, I'm not checking my email any more often than usual, and I'm not using the results search at all.  so go me.

but there was that one time I got a call from some bullshit solicitor that came from CITY OF A SCHOOL I APPLIED TO, so that guy can fuck right off.

Same.  I still expect NYU and Northwestern to start notifying this week though, among other programs.

I'm sitting around expecting NYU notifications this week, too, but where are they? From the results page, it doesn't seem like any acceptances or rejections have gone out yet.

Alright!  So hey, it's February people.  Let's brace ourselves!  Yesterday was, surely, the calm before the storm.

Edit:  And right after I posted this, someone posted an acceptance from Missouri!  See, I'm a prophet.

Edited by jrockford27

Alright!  So hey, it's February people.  Let's brace ourselves!  Yesterday was, surely, the calm before the storm.

Edit:  And right after I posted this, someone posted an acceptance from Missouri!  See, I'm a prophet.

Yes, I'd be very surprised if things don't heat up quickly beginning today.

I'm freaking out about not hearing anything, but also one of the people writing my  recommendations has disappeared without sending in the last three. Today is the deadline for two schools (M.A.) programs. The last school is due March 1st. I don't know what happened. She completed the recs for my other applications. I have called, left messages, emailed etc. I cant do anything else to get in contact with her. I'm hoping nothing has happened to her since thats all I can come up with for why she isn't responding at all. Im starting to think who can I ask for a  last minute rec for the March school ( thats my top choice). Slowly going crazy. 

I'm freaking out about not hearing anything, but also one of the people writing my  recommendations has disappeared without sending in the last three. Today is the deadline for two schools (M.A.) programs. The last school is due March 1st. I don't know what happened. She completed the recs for my other applications. I have called, left messages, emailed etc. I cant do anything else to get in contact with her. I'm hoping nothing has happened to her since thats all I can come up with for why she isn't responding at all. Im starting to think who can I ask for a  last minute rec for the March school ( thats my top choice). Slowly going crazy. 

Recs. can still come in after the deadline at most schools. I wouldn't stress out about it too much. If they arrive in the next week or two you'll be fine.

Recs. can still come in after the deadline at most schools. I wouldn't stress out about it too much. If they arrive in the next week or two you'll be fine.

Seconded. I've been told that, in the first few weeks after the deadline, admissions committees only look at writing samples and personal statements.

ME EITHER. And I'm really not ready for a news-less weekend. :(

Hey, the occassional program does send out letters on Saturdays. I told myself that all last weekend, but I'm not sure if knowing an answer might come in felt better or worse...