Fall 2013 English Lit Applicants

On 2/5/2013 at 9:43 PM, ishmael said:

The school I'm very seriously worried about is Maryland, as it's my top choice... Last year, first acceptances went out on the 14th... next week will be nerve-wracking. 

I hear you! My top remaining choices are WUSTL, Penn State, and Maryland. If I don't get into any of those, the decision could get a bit trickier.

I think Michigan said decisions will be in early March, but I'm hoping for much sooner than that.

I may be misreading the tea leaves (and you may have tea leaves I don't have, ya dig?) but I think it'll be soon. I really hope it is a big green wall on the results board too. Michigan for EVERYONE!

I may be misreading the tea leaves (and you may have tea leaves I don't have, ya dig?) but I think it'll be soon. I really hope it is a big green wall on the results board too. Michigan for EVERYONE!

Haha, at this point I don't care if going to Michigan will make people raise eyebrows at me. If it will have me, I will gladly return to its loving embrace (not holding my breath, though).

And I haven't had a chance to read any tea leaves lately, ya dig?

Edited by chaucerettescs

I think Michigan said decisions will be in early March, but I'm hoping for much sooner than that.

They always say that every year so that anxious applicants don't start bugging them if they run a little behind. If the past five years or so are any indication, admits and waitlists will almost certainly be notified by phone or email within the next week and a half or so, and rejections by post in early March.

Haha, at this point I don't care if going to Michigan will make people raise eyebrows at me. If it will have me, I will gladly return to its loving embrace (not holding my breath, though).

And I haven't had a chance to read any tea leaves lately, ya dig?

Anyone who does that is clearly unfamiliar with English doctoral programs. Michigan is a great school. I was told by several professors I spoke with to apply there.

Edit: Just saw someone received word from UCLA this morning? Goodness... and the nail biting begins...

Edited by big10champ

Woke up to a rejection Email from Northwestern.  Since they started calling Friday, I can't say it came as a surprise, but I'm still disappointed. Here's to the other 7...

But at least they're nice enough not to withhold rejections for months and leave us all wondering.

Anyone who does that is clearly unfamiliar with English doctoral programs. Michigan is a great school. I was told by several professors I spoke with to apply there.

Edit: Just saw someone received word from UCLA this morning? Goodness... and the nail biting begins...

Haha, it's not that they would raise eyebrows at Michigan's program. Michigan is excellent through and through and I would return there in a heartbeat. The English Department is amazing. It's just that I spent the last two years of my BA there and some people (potential employers) don't like it when all your degrees come from the same university. Or so I've been told.

Edited by chaucerettescs

I've often thought about how interesting it would be to study the character of Glen Coco through a Performance Theory perspective... Maybe shoot for absent presence/effect of "the other" kind of thesis.

Is this sad?

I think it sounds amazing, but I'm a huge fan of people taking pop culture seriously. Do it!

I've often thought about how interesting it would be to study the character of Glen Coco through a Performance Theory perspective... Maybe shoot for absent presence/effect of "the other" kind of thesis.

Is this sad?

I'm not a film person AT ALL but I am dying to write on Mean Girls so I do not think this is sad at all.