Fall 2013 English Lit Applicants

For those of you waiting on UC Riverside: I called Tina this morning and she told me all decisions have been made. Applicants will hear responses by the end of the month. I specifically asked if that was also the case for rejections & waitlisted applicants, and she told me yes, everyone will hear a decision, regardless. [This was good info for me, because like The Whistler mentioned, I detest being in purgatory -- just f*#&@*$ tell us if we're rejected / waitlisted already].

She also mentioned that they received 105 applications and only had 12 positions available. I was a bit surprised there were only 12, since Prop 30 passed and everyone is celebrating their long-awaited budget increases. As such, I figured there would be more like 15 positions available. A negligible difference, yes, but a difference all the same . . . sigh.

Sorry I'm trying to reply on my phone and this might look wonky. But.. Agreed! My year was incredibly rewarding, though I was skeptical about it at first. Anyone can PM me for more info about it. Sitting in Mansueto Liibrary for hours upon hours on my thesis paid off and I have received great news this application season.

Good to see another MAPHer here. You're a 2012 graduate I take it? English is always tough--what are your acceptances thus far?

For those of you waiting on UC Riverside: I called Tina this morning and she told me all decisions have been made. Applicants will hear responses by the end of the month. I specifically asked if that was also the case for rejections & waitlisted applicants, and she told me yes, everyone will hear a decision, regardless. [This was good info for me, because like The Whistler mentioned, I detest being in purgatory -- just f*#&@*$ tell us if we're rejected / waitlisted already].

She also mentioned that they received 105 applications and only had 12 positions available. I was a bit surprised there were only 12, since Prop 30 passed and everyone is celebrating their long-awaited budget increases. As such, I figured there would be more like 15 positions available. A negligible difference, yes, but a difference all the same . . . sigh.

I didn't think it was budget increases so much as a bandaid fix to ensure that current levels of funding are maintained. California is still in a dilly of a pickle.

Hey, sign my name at the bottom of this as well. :) Maryland has love to spare... right? RIGHT?!

Sure. They should have enough to go around. :)

I have high hopes for acceptance at Maryland... despite my waitlist at Texas A&M. Hopefully it was a matter of fit, rather than my application sucking it up. Hopefully my letters of rec (two of which are from UMD alums) will help... GAH! 

I have high hopes as well. I'm really hoping that fit is what it comes down to. There are three great profs I could work with there, it's close to the Folger, and two of my rec-letter writers are UMD alums too. I'm hoping they somehow remember that they accepted me to their MFA program when I applied to that a few years ago (though I went elsewhere and my concentration changed), and that magically makes them think I'm good enough. 

Sure. They should have enough to go around. :)

I have high hopes as well. I'm really hoping that fit is what it comes down to. There are three great profs I could work with there, it's close to the Folger, and two of my rec-letter writers are UMD alums too. I'm hoping they somehow remember that they accepted me to their MFA program when I applied to that a few years ago (though I went elsewhere and my concentration changed), and that magically makes them think I'm good enough. 

GOOD LUCK! Maybe, if the stars align, we'll both make it and be friends! Haha.

Good luck, waparys! Hopefully we won't have to wait much longer. You're welcome to join our open pre-Valentine's love-letter to Maryland as well. :) You too skybythelight! Good luck to everyone here! Cheers!

Edited by HHEoS

Wait - if they know, why are they waiting until the end of the month?!

Thanks for the info! It still drives me crazy that there is this lag time between decisions being made and decisions going out. I mean, what are they doing? Why the wait? Funding? Or do they just like to make us stew?

That being said, I don't anticipate getting into Riverside. I changed my writing sample so much after I submitted it to them that now it just seems terrible. 

I didn't think it was budget increases so much as a bandaid fix to ensure that current levels of funding are maintained. California is still in a dilly of a pickle.

This is true, however I am currently an M.A. student in the CSU system, and because Prop 30 passed, they did not have to move forward with raising tuition again. In fact, they refunded us a portion of our Fall '12 tuition (which was based on the proposed increase). Not to mention, our English department received additional funding this semester to reinstate 4 TA positions for large lecture Intro to Lit classes as well as added 10% more classes to the Spring schedule. Definitely much more than any of us anticipated, especially so soon. So, in lieu of all of that, it seemed reasonable to me that similar budget increases would be occuring in the UC system.

Sebastiansteddy and Patientagony: your guess is as good as mine as to why we have to wait TWO MORE WEEKS to hear a decision that's already been made!! After she told me that, I think she could hear the disappointment in my voice, and added something to the extent of "there were 100 applicants, remember, so there's a lot to get organized." Based on this comment, it sounds like a staffing issue--like they don't have enough admin staff to update and send everything through?? I have no idea . . . !!!  But, she did say "BY the end of the month," so that still could mean responses can go out anytime. Just that we won't have to suffer longer than the end of the month, I guess. Auuuugghh.

If none of us hear something by today, I'm thinking this is going to be a very bloody weekend. Several schools seem backed up and due to burst.

I think there's a pretty traditional Valentine's Day massacre so maybe all of the schools are planning on doing that this year?

This is true, however I am currently an M.A. student in the CSU system, and because Prop 30 passed, they did not have to move forward with raising tuition again. In fact, they refunded us a portion of our Fall '12 tuition (which was based on the proposed increase). Not to mention, our English department received additional funding this semester to reinstate 4 TA positions for large lecture Intro to Lit classes as well as added 10% more classes to the Spring schedule. Definitely much more than any of us anticipated, especially so soon. So, in lieu of all of that, it seemed reasonable to me that similar budget increases would be occuring in the UC system.

That's great news! I was really worried that my home state was going to fall in shambles, but this is great news whether I get into a UC or not.

I think there's a pretty traditional Valentine's Day massacre so maybe all of the schools are planning on doing that this year?

It's more fun that way, all the red.

My office has decided to go for an extended team lunch and then do an early leave. I hope they don't mind that I'll be constantly refreshing my email/the boards on my phone underneath the table. 

The real question is whether or not this lunch will include booze....

Massacre of love hopefully...

wait... wut?

There are three great profs I could work with there, it's close to the Folger, and two of my rec-letter writers are UMD alums too. 

Are you in the Renaissance/Shakespeare subfield, HHEoS?

Edited by FlamingoLingo

I e-mailed UCR and got this reply: Decisions will be sent to each of our 100+ applicants throughout the months of February and March, via email.

I was really hoping for more info...

Contacting POIs goes both ways in my (limited) experience. If you really have a good relationship with them, go ahead. Be polite, demonstrate your curiosity, do not put them on the spot, and do not seem desperate.