Fall 2013 English Lit Applicants

Question: I just had a paper accepted for the upcoming ALA conference directly related to my proposed field of research. Is this something worth notifying my prospective programs about?

I feel like others will know better -- your recommeders etc -- but I'm not sure I see how making that call could hurt. Might not make a difference, who knows, but I can't imagine it will do any damage to tell them about this new feather in your cap. Congrats, btw!

Question: I just had a paper accepted for the upcoming ALA conference directly related to my proposed field of research. Is this something worth notifying my prospective programs about?

I feel like others will know better -- your recommeders etc -- but I'm not sure I see how making that call could hurt. Might not make a difference, who knows, but I can't imagine it will do any damage to tell them about this new feather in your cap. Congrats, btw!

that seems like sound advice to me. it seems unlikely that a quick email asking if there's still time to submit an updated CV for your file could in any way hurt your application, & there's at least some chance that it could help, so why not?  :)

Hm, I'm not sure if that's such a good idea: I'd say "no."  Maybe others have a more informed opinion?

ETA: If by "notifying" you mean "send an updated CV," then maybe that's okay.  I interpreted your comment as meaning "send an email about," something that I think may be an unnecessary bother.

Edited by Two Espressos

My writing sample was/is pretty bad because I sent the wrong version (to almost all programs), despite preparing apps all throughout the summer and submitting all of them months early. As it turns out, this same shitty sample is now much better and in the proofing process for a good academic journal. I am choosing not to inform my programs of this. I say this not as a suggestive prescription for the aforementioned predicament, but rather to let my peers know how someone else is handling something similar.  This might seem really dumb to some readers. I'm hoping that having other publications on my CV will let committees know that I am in fact able to write (and able to write well on my proffered topics of inquiry). I think that e-mailing them might seem too thirsty. I also acknowledge that the whole thing is radically contingent, and thus my only suggestion would be to read the following account: 

My writing sample was/is pretty bad because I sent the wrong version (to almost all programs), despite preparing apps all throughout the summer and submitting all of them months early. As it turns out, this same shitty sample is now much better and in the proofing process for a good academic journal. I am choosing not to inform my programs of this. I say this not as a suggestive prescription for the aforementioned predicament, but rather to let my peers know how someone else is handling something similar.  This might seem really dumb to some readers. I'm hoping that having other publications on my CV will let committees know that I am in fact able to write (and able to write well on my proffered topics of inquiry). I think that e-mailing them might seem too thirsty. I also acknowledge that the whole thing is radically contingent, and thus... i'm losing it! 

I applied to UF's MA program. They are still listing my transcripts (which were sent along with my writing sample, personal statement, etc) as unreceived. I might give them a call this week...

I called the English Dept. last week to make sure they received my materials. The graduate office was still sorting applications and hadn't begun the review process yet.

Thanks for all those who responded to my question. I will not be contacting programs about sending an updated CV. Stephanie's "thirsty" comment swayed me.

I think you have another two weeks-ish until Madison replies.  I don't think they've ever replied before the 9th. (last year they replied on the 9th... and in prior years they've replied on the 13th, 14th, 11th, etc.).

Hate to say it, but told you so. :P

Yes, if I am in the (sad but likely) position of applying again next year, I'm choosing my schools based on which ones notify first. That's logical, right?

So tired of the crickets in my inbox. Bah!

I am thinking the exact same thing too!!!!!

I'm running the probabilities (not my strong suit) as I see UB acceptances roll in...historically, it looks as though they send them out mostly in the first week of February, followed by a string of rejections and an occasional March or April in off the waitlist.  So, it seems likely that if I haven't heard by the end of next week, I should be doing some drinking and banging my head on my desk.

But...not until then...right?....right???

:wacko:

I'm running the probabilities (not my strong suit) as I see UB acceptances roll in...historically, it looks as though they send them out mostly in the first week of February, followed by a string of rejections and an occasional March or April in off the waitlist.  So, it seems likely that if I haven't heard by the end of next week, I should be doing some drinking and banging my head on my desk.

But...not until then...right?....right???

:wacko:

I would say rather than by the end of next week (or any other somewhat arbitrary time frame), I would hold off on pessimism wrt Buffalo until the end of the next wave of admits. And even then that's not necessarily the end.

Having an existing acceptance doesn't even make this waiting/uncertainty easier.

Ok, it probably actually does, it just doesn't feel like it.

It does, I just sort of shrugged when the first Madison acceptances were posted (assuming that I also had been rejected) -- I guess that indifference was unnecessary given that I got in, but I definitely didn't feel as stressed as I might have. I also shrugged off a UC Santa Cruz rejection (History of Consciousness) pretty easily (well people have posted acceptances, and they accept like 4 people). But I guess I'll see how nonchalant I am about certain other schools -- every time the "Duke Literature" thread jumps back up to the top of the forum, I feel a little odd, and then I remember that the "Literature" department is different than the "English" department, and everything goes back to normal.