Fall 2013 English Lit Applicants

Can anyone confirm that either rejections or acceptances have gone out for Tennessee?  There's two rejections and one acceptance, but I can't recall seeing anybody say on the forums that they've been either rejected or accepted.

Okay.... So I think there might be a delay for schools in New England, people. I know that my school will be closed tomorrow due to Nemo (35 inches of freaking snow! who needs that really??) and I guess that some other schools will have the same problem.
Yeah, I was thinking the same. I teach close to a few of my schools and we're shut down through the weekend before a flake has fallen. Wondering how far beyond the usual BC, as an example, will wait beyond the typical second week now.

Can we not post implied rejections on the results board? It gets confusing and, well, it might not even be true.

Yes, PLEASE. Assumed results are not results; they're emotional responses to seeing other people get acceptances. Wailists haven't even gone out for Chicago!

Can we not post implied rejections on the results board? It gets confusing and, well, it might not even be true.

Yes, PLEASE. Assumed results are not results; they're emotional responses to seeing other people get acceptances. Wailists haven't even gone out for Chicago!

Agreed!  It's an ungainly practice, everyone.  Only post explicit rejections.

I was kind of thinking we'd hear from UPenn tomorrow but maybe not with the snow?

Just got an email back from POI there...said they should be making their decisions in the next week or so. So yeah, I'd say at the earliest we'll hear on the week of the 18th to 22nd, if not the one after based on last year. But yes. It would be great to hear from them sooner than that! The suspense is killing me.

I thought Chicago didn't waitlist...

Ok, well, it they don't officially waitlist it is still likely they keep a secret alternate list or something. If they haven't sent official rejections, there's a reason. You might be able to assume rejection with some confidence (that is how I feel about mine), but I don't think it should be on the results board.

Ok, well, it they don't officially waitlist it is still likely they keep a secret alternate list or something. If they haven't sent official rejections, there's a reason. You might be able to assume rejection with some confidence (that is how I feel about mine), but I don't think it should be on the results board.

one of my friends didn't get notified until very late - but he got an MA acceptance even though he had applied to a phd program. I kinda think they put some 'waitlist' people for the MA? O.o

Received an invite to Northwestern's visit weekend today with only 12 other names in the recipient line which is interesting. I don't know if Northwestern waitlists, but if anyone is still waiting to hear something it seems very possible that more offers will be extended (?).

Does anyone know anything in regards to any Florida Grad programs? Specifically UF or FSU?

I'm not expecting to hear from UF until early March. I got very anxious yesterday and almost called them, then remembered their application deadline was less than a month ago. Yeah, this is getting to me...

Exactly. I wish someone would take that down.

Does anyone know anything in regards to any Florida Grad programs? Specifically UF or FSU?

I was one of those who posted a fellowship nomination from (the Graduate School at) FSU. No word at all from the department, but the guidelines for the fellowship application stated/implied that the award is contingent upon being accepted and being offered TA funding. I'm assuming that means I'm in. 

I've heard that if you're going to do this sort of thing, it's best to wait until the app season is completely done. So, end of April, beginning of May. As for who to contact, I think I'd be more likely to contact the DGS, though I will note that you shouldn't be surprised if they don't reply or refuse to tell you anything.

Hey! So, for those thinking of doing this: Got a rejection from UCLA and then wrote an e-mail regarding factors. Got a super nice reply back and, just to confirm the above, yes, they asked me to e-mail them again after April 15, when they have time to review my file and give me a response. Also, at UCLA, it was the Graduate Vice Chair who answers those sorts of things. Hope that helps! But I'd say: totally worth trying. I'm really curious to hear what it was about my app that ultimately turned them off.

Second that, librarygremlin. Looking at the historical records, it seems that Stanford should have sent out interview notices by now. The deadline was later last year, and interview notifications had been posted by February 6th. There are a couple options, I suppose:

1. No one among us has received an interview-invite from Stanford.

2. We make up such an awesome applicant pool that they are tearing their hair out, clawing at their eyes, and beating their breasts because they can't decide.

Personally, I'm hoping for the latter, in which case, I'm scheduling an appointment for a bikini wax ASAP, as I know that I'm going to need to shine for that part of the application.

About the Stanford interviews, the application status check says that they hope to notify successful applicants by late February, with no mention of interviews. Does anyone who's applied previously remember if the website mentioned interviews? Is there a chance Stanford has eliminated the interview stage?

That is certainly a possibility. However, it seems that, according to the "Results Search" from previous years, Stanford has interviewed candidates for the English Ph D program before making their final decisions.

Most of my anxiety issues from historical trends. Obviously, I cannot claim to know by what sort of process they are operating this year, and I am armed with the same "by late February" timetable; and in the "by" rests our hope and our salvation !

Flaglerlion - Safe to assume you got the email from FSU today? Generic email to all applicants saying that they would have news in March. I'm hoping this is just cautionary so people will chill out and not email them so much. 

I heard from one school this week, now that I've gotten the first rejection out of the way I feel like I can hold on a little longer to hear back. But I'm itching to make plans and I can't make any plans until I know something for sure.