Fall 2013 English Lit Applicants

Ah, I totally forgot about President's Day. Now that I'm not in school and work at a bakery, those sorts of holidays always slip my mind. Tomorrow might in fact be rather quiet. :(

Well, I for one have class tomorrow... so people waiting to hear word from Illinois might hear some news.

Then again, Mondays have seemed to be quiet the past couple weeks. I feel like the most we can expect on Mondays are carry over decisions from the end of the previous week.

Ah, I totally forgot about President's Day. Now that I'm not in school and work at a bakery, those sorts of holidays always slip my mind. Tomorrow might in fact be rather quiet. :(

Sorry, I hope my post didn't come across as sassy! Back home we celebrate weird holidays that other states don't and don't celebrate some (otherwise) national holidays. Also, I've noticed that most of MA takes Patriot's Day and Columbus Day really seriously, but my home state and the state where I went to school never really observed them. Basically, I never know who celebrates what!

If jazzy's school is open tomorrow maybe some schools will notify? It seems like quite a few notifications have gone out on Saturdays, so if offices are open there's no reason to to think it's possible.

Also, skybythelight, I am jealous of your bakery job. Depending on which bakery in RI I might be REALLY jealous. ;)

Anyone want to guess who we'll hear from tomorrow? I'm guessing/HOPING for Michigan and Maryland.

skybythelight, question for you and everyone else who applied to Michigan. My transcripts in the wolverine access system thing were only just marked as received on Friday, Feb. 15, 2013, even though I sent them back in November. Did that happen to anyone else? It makes me think maybe they only just got around to looking at apps?

skybythelight, question for you and everyone else who applied to Michigan. My transcripts in the wolverine access system thing were only just marked as received on Friday, Feb. 15, 2013, even though I sent them back in November. Did that happen to anyone else? It makes me think maybe they only just got around to looking at apps?

Both of my schools' transcripts were sent in Nov. and marked as received Dec. 10th and 20th. I know that doesn't help much but I thought I'd let you know. 

I'm sure you're fine otherwise they would have asked, right? 

I didn't apply to Michigan but I do know that sometimes in the mess of things it takes them longer to upload documents to your application. I sent my GRE scores to Wayne State back in October and they were not posted to my application until the end of January. I don't know if that helps at all though...

Hi y'all.

Just found out I won a prize for the best MA dissertation among the programs in my department (out of 100+ dissertations). Is it appropriate to contact schools with that info?  I'd also let them know about a paper accepted for publication, pending some edits, at an established journal in my sub-field.  Those are neat things, but is it advisable to contact admissions about relevant stuff that's happened since application deadlines passed? Or are admissions peeps so inundated with stuff right now that it'll annoy anyone who bothers to open the email?

Hi y'all. Just found out I won a prize for the best MA dissertation among the programs in my department (out of 100+ dissertations). Is it appropriate to contact schools with that info?  I'd also let them know about a paper accepted for publication, pending some edits, at an established journal in my sub-field.  Those are neat things, but is it advisable to contact admissions about relevant stuff that's happened since application deadlines passed? Or are admissions peeps so inundated with stuff right now that it'll annoy anyone who bothers to open the email?
Maybe email to ask programs if they would accept an updated CV?

Mine are marked as received on 12/10.

Mine were marked as received on 12/18 but were definitely sent (electronically) much earlier than that. Hmm.

Now a question for YOU (and any Michigan applicants): when you log into Wolverine access and "view credentials," does it say anything about your letters? I would expect some record of the letters to be on this page, but mine only has confirmations of my transcripts and test scores. I have no reason to think that the letters didn't arrive and I figured that they would'e contacted me if something was missing, but it's been making me a little paranoid.

Mine were marked as received on 12/18 but were definitely sent (electronically) much earlier than that. Hmm.

Now a question for YOU (and any Michigan applicants): when you log into Wolverine access and "view credentials," does it say anything about your letters? I would expect some record of the letters to be on this page, but mine only has confirmations of my transcripts and test scores. I have no reason to think that the letters didn't arrive and I figured that they would'e contacted me if something was missing, but it's been making me a little paranoid.

The letters are logged in the original application. 

The letters are logged in the original application. 

I had them sent directly to the school via Interfolio, so their status as listed on the original application isn't very meaningful. Thank you, though!

Yeah, same, when I log in to "credentials" it just shows transcripts and gre.

Good, good! That's a bit of a load off my mind. Thanks for responding.

Do you guys tend to address the DGS by their first name or do you call them Dr. so-and-so? It's probably a stupid question, but I wasn't sure what the etiquette is for those kinds of things. I don't want to come off as too distant or presumptuous either.

Do you guys tend to address the DGS by their first name or do you call them Dr. so-and-so? It's probably a stupid question, but I wasn't sure what the etiquette is for those kinds of things. I don't want to come off as too distant or presumptuous either.

I think it's a personal preference. I always refer to people by first name and last name (at least initially. Then I see how they sign their emails). 

Until and unless I get "call me John/Mary/Edeltraud," it's "Dr. ____."  That may just be me, but I'd rather not assume a closeness that didn't exist.

Same here; it's always best not to sound too informal. I think once they've signed their email with their first name, feel free to use it.

Address faculty members--and admins, for that matter--by formal titles until they indicate you should do otherwise. Closing salutations in an email using a first name are an indication if they are specifically typed and not just a part of the automatic signature. If you're unsure, err on the side of formality.

Okay. Thank you all for your input. The DGS initially signed her name using her first and last name and then signed with her first name in subsequent emails after we chatted on the phone. I didn't know if that was an invitation to call her by her first name or not.

Picture this scenario. 

My bed is lofted and I had planned to take a nap in between classes. I leave my phone on my desk underneath my loft so it can charge...... so 25 minutes later I hear a vibration, just a single vibration so I figure it's a text... whatever

a couple minutes later I hear a vibration... then another one... and another one... so I know it's a phone call. I wish everyone could see how fast I hustled and scrambled to get down from my bed to grab that phone...

it was a spam call

<crying>

Same here; it's always best not to sound too informal. I think once they've signed their email with their first name, feel free to use it.

I frequently have issues with this, especially since I've been working outside of academia for a couple of years and have gotten used to addressing everyone by first name.

The associate DGS at one school signed emails with her first name, so that's how I initially addressed her. But after awhile I felt horribly guilty/disrespectful about it and switched to using "Professor Last Name" in subsequent emails. I'm sure professors have better things to do than to sit and judge future grad students based on this, but I seriously hope she didn't notice.

a Columbia acceptance has been extended, UPenn and Columbia in the same day... I love my friends but boy am I green right now

I don't know your friend, but I'm jealous too. Logically, I know I'm not going to get into Columbia, but a sad little sliver of hope remains.