Fall 2013 English Lit Applicants

I'm still waiting for my "disability" paperwork to go through before I can register, since I'll be 8 months pregnant while taking the general and 6 weeks postpartum when taking the Lit GRE, and I'll be goddamned if I'll take those tests without extra pee breaks.

Who's got two thumbs and is awesome at timing major life events?

Wheeeeee! :P

Hey, uh, CONGRATULATIONS!

But yeah, that's hilarious timing. Well done!

Also, I'm curious about what kind of score would qualify me for having to retake the Lit GRE. I did pretty badly, but I think I was above the 50th percentile (yeah I just checked - I was in the 66th percentile, cringe). I genuinely though no one would care about that score, but now this forum is making me nervous. My verbal score was acceptably high, and my AW was decent, though my quant was the pits. Maybe having good regular scores will make up for my fail-tastic lit GRE?

Admittedly, you don't really have time to prepare before this Saturday. If I were you, I would go into the test, and if I felt like I'd bombed it, mark the cancel score option when turning it in. Because it's too late for you to get a refund, you might as well make the most out of it. Canceling is the only way to get a feel for the actual test without it showing up on your record. And, if you feel like the test was easier than expected, you might end up keeping it (best case scenario)!!

Really? I figured I wouldn't cancel even if I did bomb it; if I retake it, they'll see the new score even though the old one will be on the record too, right?

On the practice test, I left answers blank not due to time, but because I didn't want to hazard a guess on questions I had no hope of knowing (e.g. the sections where they will have 5 passages and then 3-4 questions saying "Which one is by (author)?" when I didn't recognize any of them).

So is it really better to cancel if it doesn't go well? Like, if I don't answer more than half of the questions, even if I'm confident on most of them, should I still cancel?

To make matters worse, I've fallen really ill - woke up this morning with a fever, headache, sore throat, upset stomach....awesome.

Edited by ktlynnjoy

Really? I figured I wouldn't cancel even if I did bomb it; if I retake it, they'll see the new score even though the old one will be on the record too, right?

On the practice test, I left answers blank not due to time, but because I didn't want to hazard a guess on questions I had no hope of knowing (e.g. the sections where they will have 5 passages and then 3-4 questions saying "Which one is by (author)?" when I didn't recognize any of them).

So is it really better to cancel if it doesn't go well? Like, if I don't answer more than half of the questions, even if I'm confident on most of them, should I still cancel?

To make matters worse, I've fallen really ill - woke up this morning with a fever, headache, sore throat, upset stomach....awesome.

Yes, I would recommend canceling if you don't feel like you did well (although, I must say, it was very difficult to gauge how I had done after I took it). I've heard rumors--so take this with a grain of salt--that some schools will look at all your scores and average them out, and then use that average number as your score in evaluating your application. Even if it's not true, you don't want to be in a position where you're tempted to use valuable SOP space to explain why you have one horrible GRE score.

Good luck! And I hope you feel better soon!

Oh no! I hope I didn't scare you. The fact is, most everyone who takes it feels as if they have bombed it! I meant though, that if you were to sit for it and the worst scenario happened, you can always cancel the scores (if say, you only filled in say 1/3 or the answers or something). In all honesty--if it happens for you as it did for me--you will perform similarly on the real test as you have performed on practice tests. That was the only consistency I found in the tests (I took it twice and one felt SIGNIFICANTLY easier but in the end my score was only 20 points higher on that test that felt "easier"). So if you are comfortable with a score (presumably similar to your practice test score) going on to your score report, then you shouldn't fret.

It's a bit of a quandary, because as Silent_G suggests, there may be adcoms who are real sticklers about the scores and multiple sittings. But it's difficult to speculate about where/what departments.

But indeed-if you retake it, you'll be able to list your higher score on your applications. The other score (if you don't cancel it) will show up on your score report, along with the newer score. It's really just a matter of wanting to have a "blemish"-free record.

In fact, I had the urge to cancel my scores the first time I took it, but I didn't, and my score was alright (similar to my practice tests).

Edited by ecritdansleau

For what it's worth, I did have a professor warn against taking the test over again.

On a perhaps brighter / more encouraging note, I certainly left the test center feeling like I'd bombed the Lit GRE, and I ended up in the 89th percentile. Then again - I went 1/5 for PhD acceptances. Take what you will from that!

Thanks, all, for your input.

This may be a stupid question, but: If you cancel your scores, do you still find out what you got (even though the score is not sent to your chosen schools)? I know it's possible to reinstate cancelled scores; if you request to reinstate your scores, do you find out what you got, or do you have to reinstate them "blindly" without knowing what your scores are?

If you cancel your scores, you do not get to find out what you score you earned.

If you decide to reinstate them, unfortunately, it is blindly.

All in all, ETS is annoying.

Canceling Your Scores

At the end of the test, you may cancel your scores by filling in the appropriate ovals and signing your name in the appropriate place on your answer sheet. This is the only time your scores can be canceled. No refunds will be issued.

Institutions will not receive any information about your canceled scores or about any previous scores you may have on file.

Score Reinstatement — Fee: US$30

Scores canceled by you can be reinstated if your request is received at ETS within 60 days after your test date. You may fax or mail a written request to GRE General Inquiries. Your request must include your name, date of birth, daytime phone number, test date and registration number, payment and up to four free score recipients. Include the appropriate department codes (PDF)and indicate what scores you want sent. You may choose to send only General Test scores, only Subject Test scores or both scores, but you may not choose to have only those scores from a specific test date reported. If you do not select score recipients at this time, you must pay US$23 per recipient to have scores sent at a later date.

Scores will be reinstated and reported on the approximate score report mailing date for the paper-based test. Your scores will be mailed to you and your designated score recipients shortly thereafter."

http://www.ets.org/g...t_day/policies/

Edited by thegarden

I'm taking the Lit GRE on Saturday

I hope the test went well for you!

I also took it this morning. I didn't feel helped by studying very much. I now feel completely in the dark about what kind of score I got (hint: it's either abysmal, very bad, pretty bad, or, if I'm lucky, simply not that great). I am trying to reassure myself by remembering that a lot of programs don't require it, and that the works I have most closely studied simply aren't tested by it.

Here's to waiting for scores!

Edited by asleepawake

I, too, suffered through the Lit test today. I was pretty bummed out by how much guessing I ended up doing. I can't help but feel as if all the hours I devoted to studying these last several months were all for nought. Even though I know that test scores don't weigh nearly as much as the other application components, I still wanted to do well this morning. Unforunately, I'll probably end up forking even more of my money over to ETS next month to get the scores by phone--I just don't have the patience to wait until June for the results.

I, too, suffered through the Lit test today. I was pretty bummed out by how much guessing I ended up doing. I can't help but feel as if all the hours I devoted to studying these last several months were all for nought. Even though I know that test scores don't weigh nearly as much as the other application components, I still wanted to do well this morning. Unforunately, I'll probably end up forking even more of my money over to ETS next month to get the scores by phone--I just don't have the patience to wait until June for the results.

Absolutely. I'll be wasting $12 as well. Too bad they can't just convert the subject tests to the computer. There would be instant results and more availability of testing dates, I'd imagine.

I feel like I guessed a lot too, but I didn't guess blindly at all (only if I could eliminate at least one answer), which means I ended up leaving a good 50 to 60 questions completely blank.

Edited by asleepawake

I ended up cancelling my scores. It was pretty horrendous. Admittedly, I didn't study much either (not out of cockiness, I can assure you - rather lack of time, both as in I didn't have much time to study because I registered last-minute, and because I didn't have much free time to study). I'm also still pretty ill - came down with a pretty vicious bug yesterday - and my brain was only functioning at half capacity. That REALLY hurt me - time was never an issue for me on practice tests and is usually never an issue for me on *any* test, but I worked through this one SO slowly, both on my first "quick/answer questions you know for sure" runthrough, and my second "slow/work out answers that you can at least guess on" runthrough.

In short, I didn't stand a chance. I'll be abroad for the next year, so I'm crossing my fingers that I'll logistically be able to make it to the testing center abroad to retake the test in the fall. If I can't, well, I guess I'll just have to apply to English programs that don't require it, and maybe apply for Comparative Lit to schools that require the subject test for English. I actually probably wouldn't mind that anyway - I've been toying with the idea of Comp Lit but figured I'd apply to English over Comp Lit, if given the choice. If I don't take the English subject GRE, that will make the choice for me :D

In the meantime, I just registered for the general GRE for the end of June. Thank goodness I have no worries about that one, plus I'll have plenty of time to study.

I'm sorry you had such an unsuccessful go at all, but at least you got some practice with the real testing situation. Good luck with your next tests and your rock your Fulbright!

Edited by asleepawake

Hello, everyone. This is my first post here. Nice to meet (and suffer through admissions) with all of you. These forums are a great resource for advice and a place to vent about the stress of admissions.

I took the GRE Lit this morning and I was certainly humbled by it. It illuminated the areas of literature that are my weakness. However, I didn't cancel my scores. Hoping for a decent grade. Good luck to all of you. I hope your scores are high!

Hi, all! I'm here "on break" from studying for my last final so am really only just starting to think about submersing myself in this process (though I did get the general GRE out of the way last summer and did well enough).

My sympathies to those who suffered through the Lit test today and here's hoping that you all did significantly better than you expect!

Hello, everyone. This is my first post here. Nice to meet (and suffer through admissions) with all of you. These forums are a great resource for advice and a place to vent about the stress of admissions.

I took the GRE Lit this morning and I was certainly humbled by it. It illuminated the areas of literature that are my weakness. However, I didn't cancel my scores. Hoping for a decent grade. Good luck to all of you. I hope your scores are high!

Hello. Fellow 2013 here. Can you tell us anything about the test? Maybe some tips or something that surprised you? Was it heavy on British? American? etc.

We have to sign off agreeing not to disclose what's on the test, but I will say that a lot of the things covered in the most popular study materials were NOT on it. Also, it seems that there were more questions than I expected that relied on deciphering meaning of a text, which were possible to work out even if you didn't know the text. Good luck for those taking it in the fall; I just might be there with you braving it again.

We have to sign off agreeing not to disclose what's on the test, but I will say that a lot of the things covered in the most popular study materials were NOT on it. Also, it seems that there were more questions than I expected that relied on deciphering meaning of a text, which were possible to work out even if you didn't know the text. Good luck for those taking it in the fall; I just might be there with you braving it again.

I second that. I may be there in October, too!

Edited by Speromelior_vta

I took the lit test this Saturday as well and I was actually quite relieved. It was a tough test, but in the ways I expected. Didn't think there were too many curve balls thrown in there. There were some questions I hadn't a blue's clue about - three questions on some mythological dude I'd never heard of - and I thought the theory ones were particularly tricky, but overall I didn't think it was too terrible. Thinking back over it, I've already identified certain questions I got wrong, but eh. Was it the exact same test given in every centre? I took it in England.

I would say the same thing about my testing experience, which makes me question how I would modify my study strategy if I end up retaking the test. Personally, I relied on the Princeton Review's guide as well as the notes on Vade Mecum and Hapax Legomena. I read the intros in the American and English Nortons. For theory, I purchased Jonathan Culler's Very Short Introduction to Literary Theory. You know, I went into the test feeling pretty good; I felt as prepared as I possibly could have been given the amount of time I had to prepare. I still can't believe how much the real thing differed from the practice tests I'd taken.

I would say the same thing about my testing experience, which makes me question how I would modify my study strategy if I end up retaking the test. Personally, I relied on the Princeton Review's guide as well as the notes on Vade Mecum and Hapax Legomena. I read the intros in the American and English Nortons. For theory, I purchased Jonathan Culler's Very Short Introduction to Literary Theory. You know, I went into the test feeling pretty good; I felt as prepared as I possibly could have been given the amount of time I had to prepare. I still can't believe how much the real thing differed from the practice tests I'd taken.

I wonder did you get the same one I did? I wish we could discuss the test in detail without fearing the wrath of ETS! One of the first questions was identifying a passage from the most famous Irish modernist novel and recognising allusions in it?

Casserine, I honestly don't remember if any of the first questions on my test were like yours. Sorry, I know the stupid thing was only yesterday, but the experience was traumatic enough that I've already forgotten most of it. But that's probably a good thing. Otherwise, I could look through my notes and do some Googling to figure out the answers to some of the questions that left me stumped. In fact, the first thing I did after I got home yesterday was look up the answer to one of the questions I had guessed on. To my dismay, I discovered that I had guessed incorrectly. So maybe that's the silver lining to having forgotten most of the material--now, I can keep hoping against hope that I didn't do as poorly as I believe. I do wonder, like you, if we all took the same version, but we'll probably never know.

Casserine, I honestly don't remember if any of the first questions on my test were like yours. Sorry, I know the stupid thing was only yesterday, but the experience was traumatic enough that I've already forgotten most of it. But that's probably a good thing. Otherwise, I could look through my notes and do some Googling to figure out the answers to some of the questions that left me stumped. In fact, the first thing I did after I got home yesterday was look up the answer to one of the questions I had guessed on. To my dismay, I discovered that I had guessed incorrectly. So maybe that's the silver lining to having forgotten most of the material--now, I can keep hoping against hope that I didn't do as poorly as I believe. I do wonder, like you, if we all took the same version, but we'll probably never know.

Haha, no problem! Like you, I've already found out at least one of my guesses was wrong (damn you Seamus Heaney!). But oh well, we've done it!

I, too, suffered through the Lit test today. I was pretty bummed out by how much guessing I ended up doing. I can't help but feel as if all the hours I devoted to studying these last several months were all for nought.

I also took the test on Saturday; I went in pretty positive after months of studying and scoring pretty well on my practice tests and went out in a mix of shock/panic/depression feeling like all the time I spent studying hadn't paid off at all. It's almost as if ETS looked at the study material online and wrote a test that avoided it. Such a frustrating experience, I'm just hoping I did well enough not to have to retake it.

Hi everyone! So glad someone made this post for our year! I'm a Victorianist looking mostly at East Coast/Midwest Schools. Also interested in critical theory, comparative arts, gender/sexuality studies. So glad to find other people who are doing this too...my school mostly churns out pre-meds and future CEO's, so I am glad to find a community of other hopeful academics.

Edited by sunshan