To Reject a Funded Offer for PhD and Try Again Next Year for a More Prestigious School?

Weirdlight

So here is my story. I applied to 6 schools and have heard back from every school. (except a UK school that was a long shot as they only have 1 non EU funded spot and I doubt they will give it to an American over an equally good candidate from a common wealth country)

I have 1 acceptance. It is from my last choice, a bio-medical research PhD program at one of the top 50 medical research schools in the country (although low on the top 50 list). I just found out today that I was not accepted off the wait-list at one of my top choices because of limited spots this year (I visited the campus and the admissions office mentioned they would have extended my an offer to interview except funding was cut this year, so I ended up on the wait list instead). I have no other wait-lists looming in my future, and I have mixed feelings about the resolution that I will be attending my last choice institution in the fall.

My Background: I received my undergraduate at a small liberal arts school that is recognized as very, very difficult and graduated with a decent GPA, I have a (I think) decent GRE (1290), two summers of research experience in related labs, letters of rec from the president of my undergraduate school, my last PI ( who is a recognizable name in his field), and a professor who was on my senior thesis paper committee as well as my instructor for a year. However, despite taking 3 years of science courses and 4 years of math I graduated with a BA in Liberal Arts. I figured my greatest weakness as an application was the lack of hard science classes, and have been taking a few higher level applied science courses at the local state university and so far have all A's.

Pros: The PhD is fully funded with a good stipend (over 26,000 dollars a year, full tuition and health insurance). It's an interdisciplinary program, which I mostly like, it is in a city that I like, there is no required undergrad teaching, which I like (I am leaning towards entering industry- not academia), and they have a record of graduates getting associate professor jobs and post docs at Ivy Leagues, as well as getting positions in industry.

Cons: However, the undergraduate school is NOT highly ranked, they graduate some PhD's with only 1 first author paper ( with emphasis that they are in top journals) but I was under the impression you should have 2-3 to be competitive after graduation, and the graduate PhD program was badly ranked (bottom 50 percent in some polls) 5 years ago and has jumped up to top 30 percent since- I am just not sure if it's the best program- or a good enough program for me.

I am confident I could continue to take classes, take a GRE subject test, and be a stronger candidate next year, however the application process was hell and I am not looking forward to the idea of doing it again. I am also very ambitious and anxious to start my career sooner then later.

So is it worth it to reject this school, rally my forces and reapply to schools I have more confidence in next year? Or should I throw myself into this program and do my best to publish awesome papers and make it the PhD of my dreams?

I would love some advice, words of caution, or assurance that I am over analyzing this school and it is a good opportunity. I know at least part of my anxiety about attending this school is the fact that it was my last choice from the beginning and is the only school where I was offered a position.

Thank you for any and all help, I am sorry if that was a bit too much explanation.

I'd say accept the offer, because:

...they have a record of graduates getting associate professor jobs and post docs at Ivy Leagues, as well as getting positions in industry.

As far as I can tell, the prestige issue is a concern when considering job placement. If they have good job placement, why worry?

Also, it sucks to reapply, and you can't guarantee you'll get accepted ANYWHERE, again.

take the acceptance. I don't think the outlook for funding next year is looking any better than this year so I wouldn't count on other schools having more spots available. Although I am not in the molecular bio field, I was a pre-med major and am going to start a PhD in biomedical engineering in the fall, but I can tell you with certainty that PhD spots are super competitive and the resumes are outstanding. I have talked to a number of people accepted in top schools and their stats are usually like 3.8 gpa, 1400+ GRE, have a masters degree, a few years research, a few publications, excellent letter of recs, etc. My personal stats are actually very similar to that and I was rejected (or haven't heard from) at 16 of 18 places that I applied to. You should be thankful you have gained admission at a place that you genuinely care about if you took the time to apply there and choose them.

And I don't think you should blame the school for number of publications. It has always been my belief that if you have an advisor that cares about you and supports you, they won't STOP you from publishing. People that are hard working and highly motivated can publish on their own. If you want to publish 2-3 papers, that is on you and if that is your goal I don't see how a supportive PI can keep you from doing that.

I agree with all the posters above: you should take the offer. In reading your OP I am not clear on what you might hope to get next year or what you really mean by "prestigious". From yor post, I think you mean national rank... While I think ranking is an important factor, I think IMO it should not be the deciding one. if the POIs at this school fit your research, the resources and labs are good and they have given you full funding (which it certainly looks like), it sounds like a solid deal. PLUS, you did say their rank jumped up from 5 years ago which means that this department has a lot to prove and will probably not bungle things up.

Thanks for the advice and assurance.

My partner thought I should point out that a large factor in my application to this school was her interest in a school in the same city (she subsequently did not get an offer at that school)- so the program and research there was/is interesting to me, but not as much so the other programs I applied.

I definitely recognize that funding is limited, positions are difficult to come by, and I am grateful I received an acceptance at all. Just feeling a bit of cold feet.

I guess my biggest concern left is the research, and the pressure on Cancer Genetics, rather then Gene Regulation and Genetics (which is my research interest). So I am not certain this program will launch my career into the direction I want to go, and may compromise my career into purely cancer research.

Does your decision have anything to do with being in a long-term relationship? You mentioned your partner did not get into school there- did she get in somewhere else? If so, that should be mentioned as a factor. If you apply again next year, will you have anything substantial to add to your application from the past year? Will you have better letters of recommendation? I wouldn't be worried about having your career pigeon-holed by the type of research you do during your PhD. A postdoc would be where the research subject matters more, as you will be developing your own line of research to extend into your career. However, you mentioned wanting to go into industry. As long as you are learning useful techniques, have a good mentor, developing teamwork and communication skills...you should be fine. If your objections with the school have to do with finances or how students are treated, ect., then I would think about the decision much more thoroughly. You also mentioned that students are graduating with one paper in a top journal- you do realize that these journals require much more effort, and 1 paper would equal 2 or 3 lower-impact papers. One new faculty member here only had 1 paper from his 5 year postdoc, but it was a Nature paper.

TLDR; Your cons don't really sound like reasonable cons, unless there is a LDR decision involved. Go.

It sounds like a pretty good offer to me. You should go. Don't focus too much on a program's national ranking. Also keep in mind that you can always do a postdoc in gene regulation and genetics. Your research project just needs to be interesting to you, it doesnt need to be exactly what you want to do in the future. BUT, if you're really not feeling the program in terms of fit (whether that's because of research, location, faculty, whatever), then don't just accept because PhD programs are difficult to get into. PhD programs are a difficult, long haul, and a lot of people end up quitting, so if you really dont enjoy the school, you're already starting out behind. You can always try again next year, and if you spend your time wisely doing research, improving your GREs, etc., then you just might get into more programs that you like better.

Edited by JSmoove

Thanks again everyone, I know I came off kind of brisk at first because I felt kinda disheartened after getting rejected at my filet mignon (I love the analogy runfastmalachi) and I appreciate the consideration.

I also felt reassured hearing that further research will define my career just as much, if not more then my graduate research. My father is the only one in my immediate family with a PhD and his career has been almost entirely on the same problem his dissertation addressed, and I wasn't sure how much that is universally true.

My decision is obviously colored by the LTR but I think I will be taking the offer! And honestly, I feel more psyched about it after hearing your responses, so thanks for the advice.

Take the offer. What would be changed from this year to the next that you think would increase your chances of success? Independent study/research might be nice, but you've no way of knowing if that was the deficiency that "did you in. . ." so to speak.

As for the prestige; there are only so many graduates of the Ivies and what not - they can not fill all the jobs. Someone from "ok" schools is getting work.