166 members have voted

1. 1. How Old Are You?

• 18-22
    • 23-25
    • 26-27
    • 28-30
    • 31-35
    • 35+

I'm 26 now, but I'll turn 27 right before I start my MA program and 29 right after. Geez. I graduate from ugrad, work for a few years, go back to school, and then the next thing I know I'll be 30. Time flys.

yep, there were a bunch of polls (including an age poll) a few weeks back.

I'm guessing the creator of this poll is a lot younger than the creator of the other based on the categories ;)

I didn't know..I wasn't part of this forum then :P

If only there was a way that a new member of the forum was able to see discussions and polls that occurred before they joined. Maybe someone could figure out how to store everything as a list of titles that could be browsed through. Then, clicking on the title, a person could see the whole thing. :wink:

If only there was a way that a new member of the forum was able to see discussions and polls that occurred before they joined. Maybe someone could figure out how to store everything as a list of titles that could be browsed through. Then, clicking on the title, a person could see the whole thing. :wink:

I've never really understood why people care whether a topic had been previously discussed, especially when it is trivial.

I'm 26 now, but I'll turn 27 right before I start my MA program and 29 right after. Geez. I graduate from ugrad, work for a few years, go back to school, and then the next thing I know I'll be 30. Time flys.

Seriously.

I'll be 26 when I start my program (if I get in anywhere). If I can't do a one-year MPH, I'll be almost 28 by the time I finish with this business. I will have spent my 20s doing an entry level crap job and then getting 2 masters degrees <<>>

I've never really understood why people care whether a topic had been previously discussed, especially when it is trivial.

Maybe that's a function of age too. I hypothesize that younger people tend to have grown up with the internet as a communal place, and see boards like this as conversations with friends, where the same topics can be (and usually are) rehashed ad infinitum. On the other hand, earlier generations, for whom the internet was not a significant part of their youth, see forums as more like conferences, with no need to revisit a topic unless new research has surfaced.

This is a pet theory I've been nursing based on perusal of a variety of internet boards over the last couple years. I've seen a pretty strong distinction between these two attitudes, and from anecdotal information I'm willing to bet there's an age correlation. So who's in sociology and wants to design an experiment?

Maybe that's a function of age too. I hypothesize that younger people tend to have grown up with the internet as a communal place, and see boards like this as conversations with friends, where the same topics can be (and usually are) rehashed ad infinitum. On the other hand, earlier generations, for whom the internet was not a significant part of their youth, see forums as more like conferences, with no need to revisit a topic unless new research has surfaced.

This is a pet theory I've been nursing based on perusal of a variety of internet boards over the last couple years. I've seen a pretty strong distinction between these two attitudes, and from anecdotal information I'm willing to bet there's an age correlation. So who's in sociology and wants to design an experiment?

I don't know about your theory, but I think of the people next year who will be viewing these surveys. Wouldn't it be better for them to have one age poll instead of two (considering they won't know the overlap in who answered twice, etc.).

I'm older (for this board), but I've been on message boards of one form or another since 1989. In my experience it is usually the people who take time to write thoughtful posts and answers to (earlier) questions who resent the same question being asked over and over again.

I don't know about your theory, but I think of the people next year who will be viewing these surveys. Wouldn't it be better for them to have one age poll instead of two (considering they won't know the overlap in who answered twice, etc.).

I'm older (for this board), but I've been on message boards of one form or another since 1989. In my experience it is usually the people who take time to write thoughtful posts and answers to others (earlier) questions who resent the same question being asked over and over again.

Pretty much. Plus, when it happens a lot, it clutters up the topics list.

To be fair to the OP though: the last age poll, while it was only created a month or so ago, has dropped back to page four. Probably further back than would be reasonable for someone to go back and check for.

Four (long) pages of topics in a month - we ARE a talkative bunch!

WELL, if you guys are gonna go back and forth about the stinkin' duplicate threads, it should be noted that even though there was a previous age poll, remember that the answer categories were coded much differently in that one, and therefore the results looked very different, so really, the 2 age polls here were asking different things.....

.....I think I must be trolling around here more than I need to if I can remember the other age poll so vividly (and argue about it).

I'm older (for this board), but I've been on message boards of one form or another since 1989. In my experience it is usually the people who take time to write thoughtful posts and answers to (earlier) questions who resent the same question being asked over and over again.

It's not a theory, only a hypothesis! :lol: But I'm not in favor of multiple similar topics, nor am I saying that it's efficient or beneficial to constantly repost the same questions, I'm just curious about the motivation for doing so. If you had been born in 1986, then interactive forums would have been around for your entire living memory. Would you see them primarily as a resource or as a community? Would this perception influence the way you use these and other message boards?

in any case, it is an interesting hypothesis. I was 10 years old when I first joined online communities. Do those of you in your early 20s have earlier experiences? I'm just saying age isn't the only factor...

in any case, it is an interesting hypothesis. I was 10 years old when I first joined online communities. Do those of you in your early 20s have earlier experiences? I'm just saying age isn't the only factor...

Based on the year you said you started, I think we're about the same age. Oddly though, I never really got into computers or online stuff until much later, 1998 or so. That would make our "computer ages" much different. Probably have to account for that kind of variation too.