Worst stipend ever?

morfinx

Guest guest

depends on field and program. for a masters program I think that would be considered very good. for phd it's on the low side (probably $15-16,000 is more typical), especially considering it's a large urban area, but again, in what field? also, you should consider whether there are other benefits included? if health insurance fees are included, that's worth another $1500-2000. not all schools cover that in addition to stipend. it's worth investigating before you dismiss it out-of-hand. also, there may be room for negotiating this, if you have higher offers elsewhere.

depends on field and program. for a masters program I think that would be considered very good. for phd it's on the low side (probably $15-16,000 is more typical), especially considering it's a large urban area, but again, in what field? also, you should consider whether there are other benefits included? if health insurance fees are included, that's worth another $1500-2000. not all schools cover that in addition to stipend. it's worth investigating before you dismiss it out-of-hand. also, there may be room for negotiating this, if you have higher offers elsewhere.

MS Electrical & Computer Engineering, and health insurance is not included as far as I know.

Guest justanotherguess
I only received a $10k fellowship for my first year, and no health care! And I'm a phd.

As of this year, my friend got offered 10K + healthcare.

Guest a guest

my friend did ece ms at georgia tech and received the same stipend as you. it's actually pretty good, especially considering it's just a master's program, where really they don't have to give you anything. i hear the profs aren't too interested in you unless you're a phd though.

also, i'm going for phd (somewhere else and in a different field) and my stipend would be just under 10K. kind of sad really, i'd like just a little more to assure me that i can live not just simply but comfortably.

8K at Kent goes farther than 13.5 in NYC. Plus, PhD programs always get more than MA, so you basically hit the jackpot for MAs. But, yeah, some people don't get in anywhere and have to get a real job... Bet that sucks.

Guest guest

i'm doing a phd in the SF bay area and i have a fellowship for 12.5K for TWO years. and that's a FELLOWSHIP. other people in my program get NOTHING.

It's amazing the level of intelligence and appreciation of diversity of people applying to graduate school isn't it? Every day, I am appreciative of the far strides people have made since middle school in their humor, every day discussion, and appreciation of lifestyles other than their own. Oh wait... damn.

Hey Sibilance, I checked with current OSU students and they say that $12K goes pretty far. Most said they take out $3-4K over the course of year in loans just so they can travel and stuff. Thank god for low COL in lots of places.

Just to add to this, all of my schools are offering around $14K which covers the summer months too.

And History_Nerd, two schools have offered me one year departmental scholarships that boost the money for first year then disappear.

BTW, I had no idea funding for MAs was so rare when I applied to MA programs. Had no idea what kind of chance I was taking, just knew I couldn't even get into a PhD program at the lowest ranked school in the field.

Guest Padraic

Coming from sociology I feel that if it's over 12k and it lasts five years then it's good.

Though the lasting five years part is probably the most important part to me.

Yeah, I live in NE Ohio currently, so I should be able to manage on the 12k, plus my husband will be making some money working part time while he takes classes, so we should be good. I also heard that the 12k is a 50% appointment and you can get additional appointments working in the writing center or for one of their publications to make extra money. The 12k is definitely doable, but I'm worried about the 8k. I'm worried about Kent in general, though!

Guest enoksrdd

The starting TA stipend at U Wisc, Madison is only about 12k. And, I think you have to pay your own health insurance and some other fees.

Sorry to pour salt in the wound, but...although departmental TA'ships get 9 - 10K at University of Georgia (I think), the graduate school offers one worth 16.5K. And, much to my good fortune, I received one of those. So, I cannot comiserate, but I will definitely cross my fingers for extra bits of funding for you all!:)