Columbia TC

withjoy

In for EdM in Higher and Postsecondary Ed but said no... I was torn between that and Teaching of English when I applied and have now decided that the Teaching of English program is really what I want. They let me shift my application from High Ed to Teaching of Eng, but of course there's no guarantee I'll get in again. I hope I didn't make a mistake.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'Grats, littlefish -- you must be so excited! I'm still waiting to hear back, but I think that my luck's run out...from the program associate's email, I'm guessing that the last batch of acceptances (excluding those under special circumstances) was released last Friday, and rejections should start this week. *sighhhhh*

I just called my department (arts admin) after hours and learned via voice mail recording that the adcom will be in committee from today through friday and unavailable to answer any telephone calls. So, at least in one area of TC, there is still hope for admission.

Phew

ash

Konjurer,

Thanks, but don't lose hope yet. Now maybe you know more about the dates from that email, but I was told awhile back by the PC Fellows office at the Teachers College that PC Fellows usually find out before other applicants (I even think we have an earlier due date for the application packet!). So I wouldn't count yourself out! I haven't seen very many acceptances on here either...good luck!

In for EdM in Higher and Postsecondary Ed but said no... I was torn between that and Teaching of English when I applied and have now decided that the Teaching of English program is really what I want. They let me shift my application from High Ed to Teaching of Eng, but of course there's no guarantee I'll get in again. I hope I didn't make a mistake.

oceanstorm, I'm still waiting to hear from TC for the MA in Higher and Postsecondary Ed. When did you find out?

Still waiting to hear back from the International Education Development program.... I only applied to two schools and I'm pretty much just twittering my thumbs in South America waiting to create my backup plan so I really want to know NOW!

Anyone hear back from IED yet?

Waiting: NYU, TC

Accepted: nothing yet...

Rejected: nothing yet...

Ahhh, these posts brought a tiny little spark of relief! I also applied to the IED program at TC and haven't heard yet. And I'm also waiting it out in Latin America and very anxious to make decisions about next steps... guess we'll see. For now I'm just crossing my fingers that the postal service in this country doesn't fail me.

Best wishes to other applicants!

Does anyone know if TC usually sends out decisions via postal or website updates? I haven't heard either,and I haven't seen anyone else that has applied to my same program (Leadership, Policy and Politics). Who knows what will happen...

From the TC admissions office website: "The Office of Admission will notify the applicant once the application is complete. The length of the application review process varies from program to program. The official notification of the decision is the letter bearing the signature of the Director of Admission. Applicants will be notified of the admission decision by mail. Decisions will not be given over the telephone..."

http://www.tc.edu/admissions/admissions ... f+Decision

Of course, they may have updated this procedure now that they use the apply yourself website. I think other posters mentioned getting email notification.

Hi all,

I got the admission news last week for Ed.D in Health Education via phone and was told that I was also going to receive an official letter via mail. And my decision status has just appeared in 'apply yourself' website today. I hope this helps! I wish all of you good luck as I know very well how stressful this waiting period is...

Thanks a lot for this prompt response amazingrace! I think this is the final deadline to notify any financial aid. Because I remember reading that if it is offered by the relevant department like in the form of graduate assistantship, we could expect to hear about financial aid a little bit earlier. That's why I have asked it. Well, as you have said, we have to wait patiently. I know that these type of scholarships are very limited for TC. Is there anyone in this forum who was awarded by GA/RA type of scholarship in TC previously ?

Hello?antipod

I applied to EdM program. If you are applying for MA, maybe we should expect different notification date!

Good luck to you!

Peace!

That's an excellent point which I had neglected to consider. Thanks Amazingrace.

By the way, I started a thread asking for help comparing Intl Ed programs since I'm having a little trouble weighing them up. Any insights would be much appreciated!

Hi everyone. Just to shed some light on the RA/TA etc, one of the professors at TC told me that these will become available once I've enrolled at TC. I am entering as a PhD but I don't see why it wouldn't apply to MA/EdM as well.

I know this question might be a bit weird, but now that I've been accepted to Teachers College for an MA program I've spoken to some people about it and it almost seems as if they don't think Teachers College is that great of a place, as if they are questioning the schools cred......

I know it is ranked #4 currently for ed schools, but can any of you shed light on the actual quality of the classes and the reputation of the school nationally/internationally (would it neccesarily increase your job prospects by having a degree from Teachers College as opposed to a lesser known state school?)

I know this question might be a bit weird, but now that I've been accepted to Teachers College for an MA program I've spoken to some people about it and it almost seems as if they don't think Teachers College is that great of a place, as if they are questioning the schools cred......

I know it is ranked #4 currently for ed schools, but can any of you shed light on the actual quality of the classes and the reputation of the school nationally/internationally (would it neccesarily increase your job prospects by having a degree from Teachers College as opposed to a lesser known state school?)

TC indeed send out many admissions without any financial aids. I guess that's the major reason why some people think it is not so valuable to get into TC.

I agree - I think it has to do with the around 50% acceptance rate for MA/EdM programs. However, everything I know about the programs themselves (based on research as well as friends who attend) point to a great education. In addition, the name Columbia carries a lot of weight and prestige with it. Mainly, though, I believe you can get a great education there and that's what's important.

learnforlife wrote:I know this question might be a bit weird, but now that I've been accepted to Teachers College for an MA program I've spoken to some people about it and it almost seems as if they don't think Teachers College is that great of a place, as if they are questioning the schools cred......

What about Ph.D program?