Programs That Merge Philosophy and Theology/Religion

cdbaca

Hey All,

I've been creeping around this forum for a while, and always have lots of questions but I never really get the time to ask.

Anyway, I am graduating from undergrad in the fall 2012 semester, and I've been looking at lots of different schools (Yale, Princeton, Syracuse, Duke, etc.). I guess my question for anyone is this: does anyone know of any schools that merge philosophy and theology into one program? I know places like Oxford have the philosophical theology degree (or something like that), but I'm kind of looking to stay in the states.

Particularly, my interests lie in postmodernism (I know, very broad and general) and its effects on philosophy and theology in the present.

Also, I'm really interested in John Caputo's work, and would love to study under him at Syracuse. Does anyone know how the credentials of Syracuse stack up against other leading schools?

Thanks!

I can't say much about Sycrause, but you might want to look at philosophy of religion programs. Also, most MTS/MA can be directed towards philosophical studies if it is relevant to your specialization, so any school would be good for that technically. You would just want to make sure that the schools you look at are very open to you taking classes in other departments/schools. I would say that most reputable programs are.

In addition, most Catholic institutions have a nice emphasis on philosophy and religion. I know Notre Dame is strong on that kind of focus, for instance. Also, I have many friends interested in philosophy of religion who like Claremont, though I'm not sure what their specific reasons are for that. You might want to check out the philosophy boards here for more commentary on rankings.

I'm not sure if you're looking to get into an MA program or a PhD, but I'll tell you what I know about PhD programs (which will probably translate to a school's MA assuming it has a terminal MA program).

First and foremost, go onto websites of schools you've heard about and do some reading. Only you can really know what's going to spark your interest and what sounds like a good fit. Doing that kind of leg work is vital so you don't end up applying to a program that's just going to reject you outright because your interests don't line up.

My experience in research programs this last year is that religion/theology departments are really open to philosophy (or any interdisciplinary study for that matter) and many have special tracks that are designed specifically for interdisciplinary interests. I contacted probably 20 schools and ended up applying to 10.

Syracuse is a good program. I emailed back and forth with the DGS and a few other faculty this fall; all were very helpful and kind. I didn't get in, haha. Btw, Caputo no longer teaches there; he's emeritus (retired). So he's affiliated, but he's on the lecture circuit primarily now. I've been very interested in him as well the last few years.

If you have the cash, Claremont Graduate University has a fantastic theology/philosophy faculty. Ingolf Dalferth would probably be someone up your alley. They have a program where you can earn an MA in philosophy along with your PhD in religion.

Virginia is arguably the best religion department in the country. Kevin Hart is someone you'll want to connect with. It's one of the most competitive programs to get into, but Hart and the DGS, Paul Jones, were very helpful in giving me some insight into crafting my statement of purpose, and I think their advice helped me get into Northwestern. If you get into the MA though, you wouldn't be able to stay for the PhD (their MA program is terminal and doesn't lead to the PhD at UVa, but would probably give you a really good shot at getting in somewhere else just as good.)

Marquette has at least one theologian deeply invested in postmodern philosophy (D. Stephen Long). The Jesuits are all about philosophy though, so you really can't go wrong at a place like Marquette or even Duquense for that matter. Both of those schools offer funding; Duquense's is guaranteed for 5 years for PhD students.

Drew University has Catherine Keller, someone you should probably read anyway if you haven't already.

Northwestern regularly accepts both undergrads and graduate students into its PhD program. The reason I chose Northwestern (aside from the full funding package) was that they have a unique program they call "Clusters." Each PhD student has the option to choose to be a part of an interdisciplinary cluster where you take courses in that interdisciplinary subject with students from different but related fields who are also interested in it (i.e. African Studies, Gender Studies, Classics, etc.) There's a Critical Theory cluster with classes in the literature, German, philosophy, and history departments that fall under it. The philosophy and religious studies departments at Northwestern have a great working relationship, and the philosophers I met when I went to visit in March seemed genuinely excited about my work and about me taking classes from them while I'm there.

One last bit of advice is to be careful to make sure the faculty at the schools you're looking at are interested in continental philosophy if that's what you're doing. I've been working on an MA in theology at Fuller Seminary the last 2 years, and while I have a really great relationship with the primary philospher here (Nancey Murphy), she's heavily invested in the analytic tradition and really doesn't understand people like Caputo at all (because Derrida, et al. are a total mystery to her.) If you go to a Catholic school, that probably won't be an issue.

Here's what I can offer on this, for what it's worth - some of it is borrowed from my Bishop (PhD, Notre Dame) and conversations I've had over the years with professors when it comes to systematic/historical theology.

#1 - Don't go to Notre Dame if you're a Protestant, you probably shouldn't go if you're Catholic either - I'm joking about the last point but ND use to be a powerfouse in theology, and while it's still a good school, it has fallen over the years. Burrell has been quoted in trying to sway students from ND, arguing that it just isn't the school it use to be and a better education can be had elsewhere. My Bishop did his PhD at ND and said the environment at ND toward Protestants was hostile in the PhD program, there's a student at Yale (at least I'm pretty sure he's still at Yale) who transferred from ND and had the same sentiments - the faculty and students are less than friendly to their Protestant neighbors.

#2 - Duke is a good school, the problem is that anyone who wants to do theology applies there so the competition is incredibly stiff. Rumor has it that their ThD program has essentially failed, they tried to model it after Harvard's and its just never panned out for them nor attracted the caliber of students they were looking for. Does that mean the program is going to be chopped in the forseeable future? I don't know.

#3 - Given Marquette's additions to the faculty over the years, I think they're going to be an amazing school in the next 5 years - now if only they could get their funding dilemma sorted out.

#4 - GTU would probably be a great school given the consortium and breadth of faculty/courses/resources/etc.

#5 - I love Claremont and its breadth of offerings and their theology program (they have a joint PhD Religion/MA Philosophy!) and would be honored to go there. That said, their financial aid is abyssmal.

#6 - If you're okay with evangelical schools, Wheaton has a rather strong theology focus with a fairly impressive list of faculty.

#7 - I really like the theology faculty at Union though most people tend to not think of Union for theology, I'd look at them if I were you.

#8 - Vanderbilt has a solid faculty centered in theology too but as to my other posts regarding Vandy, they don't always take the usual evangelical/Catholic approach to theology.

#9 - I've heard mixed things about UVA - great academic theologians but that they have a bad habit of hiring absolutely terrible teachers (David Hart being the classic example. I met him at a conference and I don't think I've met someone so abrasive in a looong time. He was speaking with a graduate student after her presentation and he mentioned he had read some of her material before, followed by "It's probably the most worthwhile thing you've ever written." I've heard from former UVA students, I'll admit its a rumor, but he was apparently pulled from his teaching position at the university because of his lack of teaching and social skills).

Edited by Balatro

Here's what I can offer on this, for what it's worth - some of it is borrowed from my Bishop (PhD, Notre Dame) and conversations I've had over the years with professors when it comes to systematic/historical theology.

#1 - Don't go to Notre Dame if you're a Protestant, you probably shouldn't go if you're Catholic either - I'm joking about the last point but ND use to be a powerfouse in theology, and while it's still a good school, it has fallen over the years. Burrell has been quoted in trying to sway students from ND, arguing that it just isn't the school it use to be and a better education can be had elsewhere. My Bishop did his PhD at ND and said the environment at ND toward Protestants was hostile in the PhD program, there's a student at Yale (at least I'm pretty sure he's still at Yale) who transferred from ND and had the same sentiments - the faculty and students are less than friendly to their Protestant neighbors.

This is bologna, to put it simply. The Theology department is an incredibly ecumenical place. I have numerous Protestant friends who feel quite happy at Notre Dame. The department itself has loads of non-Catholic professors (Protestants, Jews, etc). I don't know when your Bishop did his Ph.D there, but his experience is exactly the opposite of everyone I've ever heard of at Notre Dame in recent years.

#2 - Duke is a good school, the problem is that anyone who wants to do theology applies there so the competition is incredibly stiff. Rumor has it that their ThD program has essentially failed, they tried to model it after Harvard's and its just never panned out for them nor attracted the caliber of students they were looking for. Does that mean the program is going to be chopped in the forseeable future? I don't know.

#9 - I've heard mixed things about UVA - great academic theologians but that they have a bad habit of hiring absolutely terrible teachers (David Hart being the classic example. I met him at a conference and I don't think I've met someone so abrasive in a looong time. He was speaking with a graduate student after her presentation and he mentioned he had read some of her material before, followed by "It's probably the most worthwhile thing you've ever written." I've heard from former UVA students, I'll admit its a rumor, but he was apparently pulled from his teaching position at the university because of his lack of teaching and social skills).

#2 It may be that Duke is shutting down their ThD, but I don't know if it's because of the caliber of student. Fuller just hired Tommy Givens out of that program (he's still ABD), and he's literally brilliant. He's been at Fuller for two years now, and he's probably replaced (or is close to replacing) Marianne Meye Thompson as the favorite NT professor at Fuller--and he's only listed as an instructor because he hasn't defended his dissertation yet! I can't say enough good things about the guy. No one knows who he is right now outside of Duke and Fuller, but I'm positive he's going to make a big impact in the next decade.

#9 Are you talking about Kevin Hart? There is no David Hart at UVa (at least not in the Religious Studies department.) I was at AAR in San Francisco last year, and the UVa people were AWESOME. Really fun to be around. I also spoke with Kevin Hart on the phone in the fall, and we talked for about 30 minutes about the program, my work, and my application. He was nothing but friendly and extremely helpful. I don't know anyone at UVa, so I obviously can't speak to his teaching, but what your saying would be incredibly surprising to me if true.

I'm compelled by this talk of Duke shutting down its ThD. I personally never heard anything but great things. What is so wrong with it?

This is bologna, to put it simply. The Theology department is an incredibly ecumenical place. I have numerous Protestant friends who feel quite happy at Notre Dame. The department itself has loads of non-Catholic professors (Protestants, Jews, etc). I don't know when your Bishop did his Ph.D there, but his experience is exactly the opposite of everyone I've ever heard of at Notre Dame in recent years.

Things may have changed in the past two years but I've had my advisor and two professors (as well as "CM" from UVA) warn me against attending ND for my PhD as a Protestant.

#2 It may be that Duke is shutting down their ThD, but I don't know if it's because of the caliber of student. Fuller just hired Tommy Givens out of that program (he's still ABD), and he's literally brilliant. He's been at Fuller for two years now, and he's probably replaced (or is close to replacing) Marianne Meye Thompson as the favorite NT professor at Fuller--and he's only listed as an instructor because he hasn't defended his dissertation yet! I can't say enough good things about the guy. No one knows who he is right now outside of Duke and Fuller, but I'm positive he's going to make a big impact in the next decade.

#9 Are you talking about Kevin Hart? There is no David Hart at UVa (at least not in the Religious Studies department.) I was at AAR in San Francisco last year, and the UVa people were AWESOME. Really fun to be around. I also spoke with Kevin Hart on the phone in the fall, and we talked for about 30 minutes about the program, my work, and my application. He was nothing but friendly and extremely helpful. I don't know anyone at UVa, so I obviously can't speak to his teaching, but what your saying would be incredibly surprising to me if true.

The talk of Duke looking to phase out/reduce their ThD program is talk I've noticed amongst Yale faculty and a current MDiv student at Duke who was looking at their ThD program and was advised to look elsewhere because the status of the program may change by then.

No, I mean David Hart - he was UVA's orthodox theologian but was ultimately canned about two years ago, give or take, I believe. I'd read some student's blog that Milbank was canned for the same reason. Anyway, the point was more that UVA seems to have a reputation of hiring noted theologians who turn out to be poor teachers and are ultimately forced to go into private writing. It shouldn't be taken as a reflection of the school or anything, just something I noted down in my initial reply. Eugene Rogers at UNC-Greensboro (he works more in Queer Theology than anything else) is another person in the same boat - wonderful theologian and love his writing, and he agreed to let me sit in on a seminar when I was in Greensboro - terrible teacher but that's subjective, I know.

I heard, from someone in the Th.D. program at Duke, that theology at Duke is going through a bit of an upheaval. She didn't specify what was occurring, but given what others have said, it makes sense. Despite all that, Duke is a great place to study Christian theology. I'd recommend doing it through the Ph.D. program in religion, if possible.

As for programs that do philosophy and religion, I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Religion department at Princeton University. They have some great people working there (Jeff Stout, Eric Gregory, Leora Batnitzky, Eddie Glaude, unfortunately Cornel West is leaving), and I'm sure that they could accomodate someone wanting to work in theology and continental philosophy. The program has a strong philosophical orientation (Stout and Glaude both work within the pragmatist tradition). For instance, Stout teaches a seminar on Hegel that I hear is excellent. Unfortunately for someone wanting to working in postmodern/continental philosophy, the Philosophy department at Princeton, like at just about every other U.S. university, is dominated by the anglo-analytic tradition, with the exception of, perhaps, Alexander Nehamas who does work on Nietzsche. With that said, I'm sure there are people in the German, French, English, and Comparative Literature departments amenable to the kind of work you would like to do. Add to this mix the theological resources of Princeton Theological Seminary next door, and I'm sure you could put together a stellar program at Princeton. The hardest part is gaining admission, but once you've cleared that hurdle, they'll take care of you with a generous, five-year financial aid package (that's not dependent on teaching or researching for anyone), strong mentorship and guidance, and a vibrant and interdisciplinary intellectual community. One more thing to think about while researching programs. It's important to realize that a Ph.D. program is an ends (a credential and training) to a means (finding a job). Check the job placement rates at the schools you're looking at as well. What's the percentage that secure tenure-track jobs? At what kinds of institutions (liberal arts, research, seminary, etc.)? On all these counts, few rank as high as Princeton. I hope these comments help. Just my two cents.

Thanks for the response, guys!

I've been looking around so much at many different schools, and it just seems really easy to get overwhelmed by all the different options. That being said, I really appreciate the input. I hadn't considered a few of these schools (Claremont, etc.) until this thread.

I am really interested in the continental tradition over the analytic, which makes me think I need to be careful about exactly where I would like to study.

If you're alright with going outside of the US, the Toronto School of Theology (University of Toronto) has a very strong theology program, particularly at St. Michael's and Regis. If the combination of philosophy and theology is your thing, Regis might be worth consideration as it may well be the best place to study Lonergan anywhere in the world.

@cdbaca Yes, I would over-emphasize the importance of fit when it comes to continental v. analytic-leaning departments. It may be true, as Lux says, that a department like Princeton can "accomodate" you with an interest in continental philosophy, but even still, if you're not interested in Hegel or Nietzche (or German philosophy in general for that matter) and lean more toward the French side of the continental tradition, you will probably be frustrated. PhD work is specialized, so just becuase there are people interested in philosophy that is related to figures you're interested in (i.e. Nietzsche as a predecessor to Derrida), it doesn't mean that you'll be able to do a lot of work with those figures--you'll probably hit some road blocks. Of course, there are creative ways around this such as bringing in a reader from another institution, but how much leeway that gives you is really going to depend on the specific institution and faculty. If you like Derrida (or Wittgenstein, or Gadamer, or whoever) find faculy who do work with those people or who are really interested in taking on students who want to do work on those people (as in my case).

Also, in terms of the job market, it's absolutely true that university jobs are scarce. But I don't think that necessarily limits you to only looking at top ten or top 25 programs. There are more factors than that. Getting in, even at an unranked program is extremely competitive. Way, way, way more people get rejected than accepted. I'm blown away by how many people apply to Fuller Seminary's PhD and get rejected--it's unranked and has very limited funding (I work with the Admissions office here). If you apply to second tier programs and get in somewhere AND they offer you money, there's really no reason not to go if you're really passionate about doing PhD work. The other thing to remember is that even people coming from those types of institutions can struggle to find work, so if you're weighing options, funding I think has to be one of the biggest factors. In my case, I got into NU and Claremont (MA philosophy/PhD Religion). NU offered me full funding plus a very competitive stipend guaranteed for five years. CGU offered me 25% per degree. Even though CGU is ranked and NU isn't (in religion specifically), there was no way, for me in my situation, that I could turn down that offer from NU. Some schools (Marquette for instance) give full funding to some but not others and are expensive to attend without funding. All of that should go into your decision, not just a school's ranking. Of course, f you have unlimited money, then go wherever you like!

Another factor to remember as far as the job market goes is that attending a seminary for your PhD could potentially shut doors in terms of jobs at public/secular institutions. Many religion departments still cringe at the thought of a degree in Christian theology from a seminary. This of course doesn't apply to places like Princeton, Yale, etc.--just in considering second tier, unranked schools. If you go to a secular religion department, you'll probably be able to do the exact same work and write the same dissertation, but your PhD will make public/secular schools much more comfortable. The opposite certainly can be true (a PhD from a more liberal/progressive school shutting doors at seminaries/Christian universites, etc.) but I think those schools are more open to hiring progressive PhDs. I have a cousin who works in administration for Biola University here in California, and he said that they love to hire people from secular/progressive programs--the caviat is that you have to sign their statement of faith, haha. The type of institution at which you're thinking of teaching should definitely affect your decision.

Finally, if you expand your idea of the type of teaching job you'd be willing to take following your PhD, the outlook might be a lot better than you might think when you finish. I'm not necessarily talking community college work (I've done it--it's tough.) There are a lot of private high schools, for instance, who pay A LOT for people with PhDs. It's certainly not a prestige booster and maybe won't help to improve your reputation in the academy, but if you're doing a PhD just for your ego, you're definitely going to end up being disappointed no matter where you end up teaching. It's usually possible to get a temporary teaching job like that and move up to a university later.

Obviously some people here might see things differently--it's a good idea to weigh all the advice carefully, so posting this was smart!

@cdbaca Yes, I would over-emphasize the importance of fit when it comes to continental v. analytic-leaning departments. It may be true, as Lux says, that a department like Princeton can "accomodate" you with an interest in continental philosophy, but even still, if you're not interested in Hegel or Nietzche (or German philosophy in general for that matter) and lean more toward the French side of the continental tradition, you will probably be frustrated. PhD work is specialized, so just becuase there are people interested in philosophy that is related to figures you're interested in (i.e. Nietzsche as a predecessor to Derrida), it doesn't mean that you'll be able to do a lot of work with those figures--you'll probably hit some road blocks. Of course, there are creative ways around this such as bringing in a reader from another institution, but how much leeway that gives you is really going to depend on the specific institution and faculty. If you like Derrida (or Wittgenstein, or Gadamer, or whoever) find faculy who do work with those people or who are really interested in taking on students who want to do work on those people (as in my case).

My caveat to this is that if you're having a hard time finding someone who does work you're interested in or does work in your area, you should think long and hard before committing yourself to years of specialized work in that area. It's possible that the lack of people or programs specializing in that area signals a general lack of interest in the academy, which could spell doom for the job prospects of someone coming out of such a situation. It's also possible that the tides will turn and there might be a surge in hiring in your specialization when you graduate. But which do you think is more likely: theology and continental philosophy will suddenly be in demand within the next few years or things will remain the same? I'm not trying to burst anyone's bubble or destroy anybody's dream, but this is a big commitment that one should make fully-informed and with an awareness of all the realistic outcomes. If after all that you still decide to go for it, then good for you, go for your dream. Just make sure that you're fine teaching at a high school -- or any of the other options JD mentioned -- after having spent upwards of 5-8 years of life working on Ph.D. to work at a place where it isn't required.

A final thought. You could also consider doing something a little more mainstream or in demand as your main specialization and maintain your other interests as a kind of minor field of concentration. Then, perhaps, after securing tenure, you can delve more deeply into other stuff. I know that sounds rather calculating and tedious but the job market is absolutely terrible, especially for the humanities and theology, and there's no sign of things improving anytime soon.

• 2 weeks later...

I know UVA has an area of focus in philosophy for the MA in Religious Studies - it's part of the Theology, Ethics, and Culture concentration (I applied in this area as well!). One of my professors from undergrad (her and I are extremely close) got her PhD from UVA in philosophy and religion, and from what I heard from her, UVA's religious studies department is great with philosophy.

Here's the link: http://artsandscienc...s/theology.html

Edited by MsSarahBOOM

But which do you think is more likely: theology and continental philosophy will suddenly be in demand within the next few years or things will remain the same?

I'm not sure what your area is, Lux, but continental philosophy and theology has been a growing field over the last decade at least. Kester Brewin, Ingolf Dalferth, Kevin Hart, Graham Ward, Gavin Hyman, Peter Rollins, Clayton Crockett?

Zizek? Simon Critchley?

Definitely not a minor specialization.

I'm not sure what your area is, Lux, but continental philosophy and theology has been a growing field over the last decade at least. Kester Brewin, Ingolf Dalferth, Kevin Hart, Graham Ward, Gavin Hyman, Peter Rollins, Clayton Crockett?

Zizek? Simon Critchley?

Definitely not a minor specialization.

Theology and continental philosophy is not my area. However, it's easy to be misled into thinking that something is bigger and more important than it really is when one is in the middle of it. As an outsider, I think I have a little more critical distance. I looked up the people you cited and discovered that all -- with the exception of Crockett, but I may be mistaken -- are Europeans who studied in Europe and teach in Europe -- except for Dalferth, Hart, and Critchley who teach in the U.S. That doesn't indicate to me that theology and continental philosophy is a growing area here in the U.S., which is where I thought the op wanted to teach. Moreover, that Clayton Crockett teaches at the University of Central Arkansas doesn't seem to demonstrate the success of theology and continental philosophy on the academic job market, especially if you thought him important enough to mention along with the likes of Zizek, Critchley, Ward, and Hart. Although lots of students want to study theology and continental philosophy, it still appears that among the gate keepers of the profession -- university hiring committees -- it is still a marginal area of study. Radical Orthodoxy has done much to reinvigorate the discussion between theology and the continental tradition, but it still has much further to go.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I'd suggest UChicago's Philosophy of Religion Department, specifically the work of Arnold Davidson who is a Foucault scholar. Jean-Luc Marion may be a person of interest. He generally does modern philosophies, and his interests  intersect more so with traditional theological paradigms. One of the areas of the comps. for doctoral students is "continental philosophies in the 20th century." From the course list, there are several courses. Check it out: 

http://divinity.uchicago.edu/academics/constructive-studies-religion.shtml

I would also look at Harvard which is generally postmodern/poststructuralist in its orientation, but also post Christian. While you may get background in continental philosophy along side the study of religions, I don't believe you will gain a strong comprehension of Christian theology there, at least in systematic theology. But, there are thinkers there that are philosophical oriented towards the modern and postmodern, like Hollywood, Rivera Rivera, and David Lamberth. Lamberth may be a good fit: http://www.hds.harvard.edu/people/faculty/david-c-lamberth  (It should be noted that Harvard is likely to hire at least one theology professor in the next year so there will be additions to the faculty. Chicago has been looking to hire for a will for someone doing constructive theology. I'd imagine they're close to hiring someone!) 

Notre Dame has a trend of producing doctoral studies strong in philosophy, and in particular, phenomenology. If that is a strand of continental philosophy you're interested in (though it is not postmodern in its origin, but has had postmodern applications), then I would suggest ND. 

If you're interested in a program that is flexible with you taking courses outside of the department, then I would do research. Some programs have rather rigid requirements, but Harvard's MTS has little requirements. 

As someone else said, I would also suggest reading Catherine Keller who is great theologian using postmodern sources. She's at Drew if you're interesting in her work. 

Best of luck! 

i'll probably be looking at claremont for my phd, but i am concerned about the funding issue. is it terrible across the board? are there some that get fully funded? i'm bent on going somewhere that really blends philosophy and theology, but i don't want to somewhere like fuller that is too deeply embedded in evangelical circles. it seems like going to fuller might ruin the chances of being hired at a non-religous institution, but claremony would not.

I was accepted into Claremont's joint PhD in Religion/MA in philosophy program last year. When I got the funding information, I saw 50% funding... and then "25% per degree." I don't know who taught them math, but that's 25% funding, not 50%! I have a friend who started there this year, and he told me that it's sort of unspoken knowledge that students who do really well in their first year are offered more funding in the second year, and in later years, there's informal help in getting jobs at local community college to help supplement the cost. Certainly not a traditional funding package, but it sounds like if you're willing to pay some for the first year (or seek external scholarships), it's possible to secure more funding later. They do fund some students 100%, but I have no idea what the typical fully funded student looks like. Overall, I think everyone agrees CGU's funding situation is an absolute mess.

Also, I did my MAT at Fuller, and your feeling is correct--go somewhere else for your PhD. I have friends who are doing amazing work in the systematic PhD program there, and I don't think people like Veli-Matti Kärkkäinen or Nancey Murphy are all that invested in the Evangelical tradition (if at all), BUT the reputation is such that you probably won't be able to shake the Evangelical label no matter what you do your dissertation on.

I was accepted into Claremont's joint PhD in Religion/MA in philosophy program last year. When I got the funding information, I saw 50% funding... and then "25% per degree." I don't know who taught them math, but that's 25% funding, not 50%! 

Maybe it's "process math."

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I'm currently ABD at Marquette. I highly recommend their Theology&Society program for doing this kind of interdisciplinary work. It's technically open to other fields, but the majority of students choose philosophy as their allied discipline (in fact, I think there are some typos in the handbook that assume philosophy). I'm happy to answer more specific questions via PM.