Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

Recommended to Germany! Anyone know when they notify for acceptance? I'm also applying to PhD programs, and if I only have a few weeks to decide whether or not to accept the Fulbright I might not have heard back on all of my PhD apps yet.

Recommended to Germany! Anyone know when they notify for acceptance? I'm also applying to PhD programs, and if I only have a few weeks to decide whether or not to accept the Fulbright I might not have heard back on all of my PhD apps yet.

There should be a link to a website in your recommendation email, they anticipate anytime between February - May 15th. But it could be as late as June, and if your an alternate that ends up getting promoted it could be as late as september.

When you hear for sure from Fulbright I'd check to see if the PhD programs would accept a deferral for it.

Edited by vPersie

No it's okay, I understand. I think that is partially true, that I was too focused on the fact that I was very qualified for it. 

Also, I really don't want to talk to my FPA. She was completely unpleasant and rude to me the entire process. My current school, where I'm getting my masters, does not get many Fulbright applicants because it is a conservatory, so most people are not about to propose complex academic projects. My undergraduate university was very supportive and even helped me with my application even though I had to apply through my current school where I am getting my masters. She tried to convince me not to apply for no reason except that "I am going on vacation in July and won't have time to edit your application." She would take WEEKS to respond to my emails/requests and even told me the wrong location of my interview and I had to find out through one of my interviewers. 

She is known around the school for being a horrible administrator and extremely unhelpful, and because my school is so small (an administrative staff of about five people) she basically got the job of being the Fulbright advisor because she won many years ago. Sooo, long story short, I have zero interest in reaching out to her and asking what she thinks went wrong, because I'm sure she'll be really rude/horrible about it. She even said I was such a bad writer that she didn't believe my first language was English (I was an English major from Princeton, and my professors were so excited by my analysis/writing that they tried really hard to get me to get my PhD in English, and even said they'd help me get into Yale, soooo... yeah. I think that comment is a bit out of line.) 

Pardon my super long comment :( I'm in a bad mood right now lol 

I was actually gonna say the same thing as there'sanappforthat (incl. disclaimer that I hope it doesn't sound mean). The biggest difference between this year and my previous two attempts was the mindset I had going in. The first two times I focused on selling my credentials, and why my project is the natural next step for me, and for my field.

This time I went into it with the following mindset (in brief, exaggerated form): they don't really care how great I am, and they don't really care why my project is important/interesting/essential from my standpoint. They want to know why my project is important/interesting/essential to the host country, how the project creates a dialogue between the US and the host country, and why I'm just the person to facilitate that dialogue.

It's a much different approach than most of us are used to, because for 99% of the applications we submit the idea is to sell yourself and your credentials.

That's my 2 cents, anyway...

Recommended to Norway for full grant (molecular biology)! Frankly I'm surprised; I'm a graduating senior that applied at-large, which you're not supposed to do. I thought that surely bureaucracy would shut me down, but alas it did not!

I was actually gonna say the same thing as there'sanappforthat (incl. disclaimer that I hope it doesn't sound mean). The biggest difference between this year and my previous two attempts was the mindset I had going in. The first two times I focused on selling my credentials, and why my project is the natural next step for me, and for my field.

This time I went into it with the following mindset (in brief, exaggerated form): they don't really care how great I am, and they don't really care why my project is important/interesting/essential from my standpoint. They want to know why my project is important/interesting/essential to the host country, how the project creates a dialogue between the US and the host country, and why I'm just the person to facilitate that dialogue.

It's a much different approach than most of us are used to, because for 99% of the applications we submit the idea is to sell yourself and your credentials.

That's my 2 cents, anyway...

Just curious but your three tries at Fulbright, were they consecutive or no?

Not recommended. This was my third try. The first try, I was recommended and then chosen as an alternate. Second try and now third try, nothing. Grarg. :(

Congrats to those who made it!

Edited by SixandCounting

Recommended, full, Dominican Republic.

To the full grant people who didn't make it through this round: this is my second time applying - I was an alternate last year (ugh...). From my understanding, there are few people who are successful in winning a grant their first time out of the gate - reapply. Additionally, Fulbright is sensitive to controversy. If your project could potentially be viewed as such - retool it. My FPA suggested that the controversial nature of my project in my last application is likely what earned me the dreaded ALT (ugh, again...those three letters still make me shudder...).

Last piece of advice: DO NOT let this ruin your day/week/month/year; I learned that the hard way. I was so p***ed off about my alternate status, that I literally walked around angry for months. So not worth it. Getting the smackdown from Fulbright hurts like a mother (especially if your dissertation is riding on that funding), but nothing (I repeat, nothing) is worth your intellectual self-worth. I ended up learning a lot from my rejection (and I do mean rejection, since that's ultimately what my ALT turned out to be - I was never promoted to principle). However, the single most important thing that I took away from that experience is this: If you plan to be an academic, you will get rejected again. And again. And again and again and again. It feels like s**t, but the route from A to B sometimes looks different than what we have planned - and that's ok.

I might get slapped around by Fulbright for a second time (hell - the odds would say it's gonna happen) and that's ok. I have back up plans and this dissertation will get done one way or another. Take a lesson from somebody who's been there: get a drink (or five), have a good cry, and forget it until next year...

"I am pleased to inform you that the National Screening Committee of the Institute of International Education (IIE) has recommended you for a grant under the Fulbright U.S. Student Program for the academic year 2013-14."

Yes, I've been RECOMMENDED!! *almost in tears*

Now it's time to wait (for a few months) :)

I have about 30 thank you letters to write. I'm super excited. 

I found this forum after hearing from my school on Wednesday that we would receive our application status e-mail by the end of the day today. I hadn't really been worried about hearing, at least until the end of January, until I received that message from my school. Happy to find a community of people worrying like myself! Of course, this also meant I was checking to see if anyone had heard every 10 minutes or so.

Regardless, I have been recommended for a Fulbright ETA to Germany! On to the next few months of waiting...

Hello guys,

I am new to this forum, and I am applying for an ETA to France. Today I received an email from Joddy stating the following:

"[Greeting],

I am pleased to tell you that the Institute of International Education's National Screening Committee has recommended you for a non-Fulbright French Government Teaching Assistantship.   Your name has been forwarded to the French Ministry of Education Teaching Assistant Program for consideration."

I was wondering if this means that I was rejected from the actual Fulbright ETA?

Any France ETA applicants??

The email for my Fulbright application got deactivated, and it's Friday night so my FPA isn't responding! I don't think I can find out until Monday!

Holy moly! That would be so nerve-wracking! Well, I wish you the best of luck.