Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

I'm fine with that as well. I think, if I recall correctly, that there were maybe three people who said they were in favor of opening another thread. They can if they want to, I guess! :P

If you haven't voted yet in the poll, and want to, here's the link:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/N7C8FZM

Actually, with 30 votes in right now, it's 2:1 in favor of a results only thread that would complement this one.

The idea as outlined yesterday:

"Just an idea, but maybe creating another Fulbright thread would be a good idea. This one can remain an analysis/speculation/conversation/commiseration, etc discussion thread. Then there would be a results thread (sort of how Grad Cafe has a results list for grad school admits and rejections) where people just post their country, time of notification, and program when they get notified.

People could quickly check results and then come to this thread to discuss. (Or have email alerts for it so they know results are coming in) Something like 'Fulbright 2013-2014 RESULTS.' It would also make it easier for the kind soul that is compiling the spreadsheet or for future applicants to skim."

Actually, with 30 votes in right now, it's 2:1 in favor of a results only thread that would complement this one.

"Just an idea, but maybe creating another Fulbright thread would be a good idea. This one can remain an analysis/speculation/conversation/commiseration, etc discussion thread. Then there would be a results thread (sort of how Grad Cafe has a results list for grad school admits and rejections) where people just post their country, time of notification, and program when they get notified.

People could quickly check results and then come to this thread to discuss. (Or have email alerts for it so they know results are coming in) Something like 'Fulbright 2013-2014 RESULTS.' It would also make it easier for the kind soul that is compiling the spreadsheet or for future applicants to skim."

Oh, ok! I did vote yesterday, but I didn't see that there was a way to view the poll results. Is that something only the creator can see?

Either way, I just want to find a way to stay sane and chat with other people. My final prototype and presentation for senior design is due today, so I'll be panicked and worried as is!

Either way, I just want to find a way to stay sane and chat with other people.

Oh, ok! I did vote yesterday, but I didn't see that there was a way to view the poll results. Is that something only the creator can see?

I guess it's hidden until closed. If enough people vote by this afternoon, and its a super majority in favor, then I'll post it in time hopefully for results.

Also, not directed at anyone in particular, but keep in mind we all have different preferences. So just as it's rather absurd for people to complain that others are chatting in a discussion forum, it's also absurd to tell people they must read, or at the very least skim, a free-flowing discussion when they just want to check results (after all, most grad cafe threads are just updates, questions, and notifications related to awards). And people do have some expectation to that, given the thread is titled "Fulbright 2013-2014." This seems to give everyone what they want.

I guess it's hidden until closed. If enough people vote by this afternoon, and its a super majority in favor, then I'll post it in time hopefully for results.

Also, not directed at anyone in particular, but keep in mind we all have different preferences. So just as it's rather absurd for people to complain that others are chatting in a discussion forum, it's also absurd to tell people they must read, or at the very least skim, a free-flowing discussion when they just want to check results (after all, most grad cafe threads are just updates, questions, and notifications related to awards). And people do have some expectation to that, given the thread is titled "Fulbright 2013-2014." This seems to give everyone what they want.

Honestly, I don't have a huge problem either way. If the topic had not been brought up in such a rude manner, I wouldn't have batted an eyelash. The people who have simply said "yeah, it would be nice to have a forum where I can just skim through and not have to read through comments because I have school and only check a few times a day" is one thing. Telling someone that their conversation is a bunch of nonsense is another altogether.

Biomedical and electrical engineering! You?

I studied graphic design and minored in German. I'd like to go back for a masters in Speech Pathology. I had been set on designing since about age 14, so that was what I went with. Turns out I may not really want to do that anymore :)

I have thought about mechanical engineering because I have always enjoyed putting things together (legos, furniture, installing new doorknobs, you name it), but my math skills have always been sub par. I don't know that I could keep up with all the higher level math classes. :(

Edited by there'sanappforthat

I studied graphic design and minored in German. I'd like to go back for a masters in Speech Pathology. I had been set on designing since about age 14, so that was what I went with. Turns out I may not really want to do that anymore :)

I have thought about mechanical engineering because I have always enjoyed putting things together (legos, furniture, installing new doorknobs, you name it), but my math skills have always been sub par. I don't know that I could keep up with all the higher level math classes. :(

They'll ease you into the math classes. By the end of the program, plenty of people who were terrible at math start to eat and breathe integrals. And I've spent my share down in the tutoring center at my uni (one semester like 50+ hours) for maths. So there's always resources there if you need the help!

Edit* my major is ME

Edited by kumar1244

They'll ease you into the math classes. By the end of the program, plenty of people who were terrible at math start to eat and breathe integrals. And I've spent my share down in the tutoring center at my uni (one semester like 50+ hours) for maths. So there's always resources there if you need the help!

Lol, I keep hearing that, but the thought of getting in over my head in Physics or Calc class terrifies me!

I should warn you, if you like to have a healthy social life....don't do engineering and expect to do well lol. There are a few people that manage, but most of us spend our days (and nights) studying.

For example, I woke up this morning and was surprised to find I was growing a beard...haven't even had time to have a proper shave in a week and a half.

Alternatively, now I can say that I'm doing the world series thing, growing a beard until the fulbright finals.

Edited by kumar1244

I should warn you, if you like to have a healthy social life....don't do engineering and expect to do well lol. There are a few people that manage, but most of us spend our days (and nights) studying..

Seconded... And we're a weird bunch. In SWE, we always joke about guys: 'The odds are good but the goods are odd'

Seconded... And we're a weird bunch. In SWE, we always joke about guys: 'The odds are good but the goods are odd'

Hey now!

We may be dorky but we still have feelings haha.

Well, shit! I'd fit right in! Most days I'm at home doing something or other like reading, watching TV, or playing video games. Or knitting. I like to make things :B

And I think I'm pretty weird. So. At least I have that going for me :)

The onnly problem would be actually forcing myself to study! I'm such a procrastinator!

Edited by there'sanappforthat

A note to all us UK applicants: I called the UK office about my question, and the person I spoke to mentioned that their decisions should be sent to the IIE this afternoon. She expected that we should probably hear back tomorrow or early next week (didn't seem to think it would be today), though its not guaranteed.  Thought y'all might want to know, best of luck to everyone!!

A note to all us UK applicants: I called the UK office about my question, and the person I spoke to mentioned that their decisions should be sent to the IIE this afternoon. She expected that we should probably hear back tomorrow or early next week (didn't seem to think it would be today), though its not guaranteed.  Thought y'all might want to know, best of luck to everyone!!

Thank you for sharing! Good luck everyone!

Nooooooooooooooooo. Afternoon our time or UK time?

*sob*

Edited by Anon314

I hope this email finds you well. I just wanted to check in to give you a quick update on the status of your application. I am happy to confirm that the final nominees have been identified here at the UK Commission. We have sent this list of nominees to our partners at IIE. IIE must now seek final approval from our colleagues in the State Department. This should not be a lengthy process. Once this approval is obtained, IIE will be in touch to notify you of the status of your application. We appreciate your patience during what we know must be a tense and exciting time.

Please note that I am not in a position to give any feedback on your interview or application at this point.

Warm wishes,

Éilish

I hope this email finds you well. I just wanted to check in to give you a quick update on the status of your application. I am happy to confirm that the final nominees have been identified here at the UK Commission. We have sent this list of nominees to our partners at IIE. IIE must now seek final approval from our colleagues in the State Department. This should not be a lengthy process. Once this approval is obtained, IIE will be in touch to notify you of the status of your application. We appreciate your patience during what we know must be a tense and exciting time.

Please note that I am not in a position to give any feedback on your interview or application at this point.

Warm wishes,

Éilish

This was almost a taunting message though not intended that way! Not that I don't appreciate them saying this, but this was bloody terrifying and I couldn't get my phone to load email fast enough.