Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

Is there a way to search through this forum? I forgot to respond to someone and feel like a really jerky guy. Also: to the Japan scholar at Wisconsin: sorry. And it turns out that I won't be heading up there for the LCA program though every time I visit Madison I get swept away in fantasies about living there.

In other news, I popped in to the office of the Fulbright advisor here on campus. She's gotta be younger than I am (and cute) , and I'm even at the low end of the age spectrum for my MA program. She pretty much said don't worry about the sequester/funding cuts - but that it might be something to worry about in future years. What was that Bill Gates quote from this morning? Capitalism means male baldness treatment research gets more funding than malaria research? That sentiment resounds especially poignantly here. 

I finally gave in and made an NPR donation today. It's the last day for the pledge drive here. Same out there in the rest of the world?

I just got the email from Eilish as well! My heart stopped beating for a moment, haha :') Hoping for later today or early tomorrow!

Pbo- want to chat on the live chat? I want to talk to somebody to bring my heart rate back down...

UKers ... am i the only one that thinks that email was useless? But more so mean! It's not healthy for my heart to speed like that in .25 seconds!!!!!   We already know they are in the decision making process!

UKers ... am i the only one that thinks that email was useless? But more so mean! It's not healthy for my heart to speed like that in .25 seconds!!!!!   We already know they are in the decision making process!

Ha agreed. My hands actually started shaking before my presentation. 

Is there a way to search through this forum? I forgot to respond to someone and feel like a really jerky guy. Also: to the Japan scholar at Wisconsin: sorry. And it turns out that I won't be heading up there for the LCA program though every time I visit Madison I get swept away in fantasies about living there.

Madison is my current base -- wouldn't want to live here forever, but a nice place for young people. It is snowing again however...

Okay, from the time the poll opened, it's been 2/3 in favor of a separate thread and 1/3 against it. About 50 people voted, so that seems like a representative sample.

So I'm gong to go ahead and make it in time for today's notifications (hopefully there are some for UKers at least).

To go off an earlier question, this thread will be for results only. If people have questions and, they should come to this one. And of course you can post your notification in both threads.

To all the UK-ers, I asked my FPA about how long approval would take, and they said to expect next week or later.....

ARGGHGHH

EDIT: Oops- just saw the above post. By results only, only posting if we got it or not? =(

Edited by Anon314

To all the UK-ers, I asked my FPA about how long approval would take, and they said to expect next week or later.....

ARGGHGHH

EDIT: Oops- just saw the above post. By results only, only posting if we got it or not? =(

Woah, that is really tough. If I were you, I think I would have rathered they not even send the email they did today!!!!

In other news, I popped in to the office of the Fulbright advisor here on campus. She's gotta be younger than I am (and cute) , and I'm even at the low end of the age spectrum for my MA program. She pretty much said don't worry about the sequester/funding cuts - but that it might be something to worry about in future years. What was that Bill Gates quote from this morning? Capitalism means male baldness treatment research gets more funding than malaria research? That sentiment resounds especially poignantly here. 

I finally gave in and made an NPR donation today. It's the last day for the pledge drive here. Same out there in the rest of the world?

The very top right hand has a search bar. I THINK there is a way to search just within the topic. I haven't tried to use it though!

I haven't made an NPR donation in a while, although I should! It's pretty much all I listen to! I'm a bad person :)

Edited by there'sanappforthat

A note to all us UK applicants: I called the UK office about my question, and the person I spoke to mentioned that their decisions should be sent to the IIE this afternoon. She expected that we should probably hear back tomorrow or early next week (didn't seem to think it would be today), though its not guaranteed.  Thought y'all might want to know, best of luck to everyone!!

Any India applicants brave enough to call/email the India office?

Sorry for muddling that explanation. The other thread is for results only (basically a more accessible, realtime resource than the Google Doc).

This remains the discussion/question thread.

So question (I'm new here)... who is Elish? and what are FPA's? Did most other UK-ers have someone from the UK get in touch with you any point after the IIE notified you that you were recommended? (I'm applying for a partnership grant)

Eilish is the program coordinator of US Fulbrights to the UK. FPA= Fulbright Program Advisor, which you'd likely have if you are applying from a university and had to get nominated to apply in even the first place, but it has nothing to do with the officialness of the Fulbright program itself. Everybody who had an interview was told from Eilish that we've had one, but other than that, we've heard nothing from the IIE itself (that I know of). Most of us are also doing partnerships as well, I think, but it probably depends on the university that you are applying to as to how many candidates were selected for interviews/etc.

Edited by Anon314

Eilish is the program coordinator of US Fulbrights to the UK. FPA= Fulbright Program Advisor, which you'd likely have if you are applying from a university and had to get nominated to apply in even the first place, but it has nothing to do with the officialness of the Fulbright program itself. Everybody who had an interview was told from Eilish that we've had one, but other than that, we've heard nothing from the IIE itself (that I know of). Most of us are also doing partnerships as well, I think, but it probably depends on the university that you are applying to as to how many candidates were selected for interviews/etc.

Thanks! that definitely cleared some stuff up for me

Hi, not sure if anyone else on this forum is waiting for France results but i called them today and they said that they have not heard from France but we should expect to hear within a week and a half, although there's no way they can know for sure that's what they think

So question (I'm new here)... who is Elish? and what are FPA's? Did most other UK-ers have someone from the UK get in touch with you any point after the IIE notified you that you were recommended? (I'm applying for a partnership grant)

I meant to tell you this last night, but I LOVE your user name!! It's from Sim City, right?? My whole family used to play that game like crazy. We were all reminiscing about it one day and I said how much I loved hearing "reticulating splines" while the game was loading and none of them knew what I was talking about!! Glad to know I'm not the only one!!!

I meant to tell you this last night, but I LOVE your user name!! It's from Sim City, right?? My whole family used to play that game like crazy. We were all reminiscing about it one day and I said how much I loved hearing "reticulating splines" while the game was loading and none of them knew what I was talking about!! Glad to know I'm not the only one!!!

Whoa, that was in SimCity 2000...is that the version you're talking about???