Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

Am I the only one in disbelief that Laos heard back before Germany?

I mean... I imagine the Laos Fulbright program is pretty small, whereas the Germany one is one of the biggest. It makes sense that it would take longer to sort. I'm just angry (in a friendly, rivalry sort of way) that the UK found out first. Grrrr.

I mean... I imagine the Laos Fulbright program is pretty small, whereas the Germany one is one of the biggest. It makes sense that it would take longer to sort. I'm just angry (in a friendly, rivalry sort of way) that the UK found out first. Grrrr.

Last year, Laos made their announcement a month later than Germany. We don't have great record of Laos announcements, though.

Also, it's my understanding that as a Fulbright ETAs, your role is more of a cultural ambassador than as a language teacher. I think it's less important that you know how to teach English grammar and more important that you're comfortable leading discussions on American political culture.

You're definitely right (at least with Germany)! I've had a few friends do the ETA and it is actually in their contracts that they are not supposed to teach grammar. Sometimes the schools may ask the ETA to teach it, but they are not supposed to. Perhaps this is because most ETAs do not have formal training in teaching English...

And I second everyone! Come on Germany, this waiting game is getting really old!

You're definitely right (at least with Germany)! I've had a few friends do the ETA and it is actually in their contracts that they are not supposed to teach grammar. Sometimes the schools may ask the ETA to teach it, but they are not supposed to. Perhaps this is because most ETAs do not have formal training in teaching English...

And I second everyone! Come on Germany, this waiting game is getting really old!

It has now gotten to the point where I have at LEAST one person ask me on a daily basis whether I have heard anything.

I'm like, if I had heard, you would know!!

It has now gotten to the point where I have at LEAST one person ask me on a daily basis whether I have heard anything.

I know, right? Of course, if I did not receive good news, I might not say anything.

Haha, I know. My boyfriend asked me today if there was any news and I was like, "Really? Really? You think I'd just be sitting on that all day not telling you?"

I know, right? Of course, if I did not receive good news, I might not say anything.

I'm pretty sure I would, just so I wouldn't have to go through everyone asking me after I already knew.

Haha, I know. My boyfriend asked me today if there was any news and I was like, "Really? Really? You think I'd just be sitting on that all day not telling you?"

Yeah same here. I'm like.."Sweetie, you are the FIRST person I'm going to tell."... But I don't tell him , well, after grad cafe :P

Two weeks ago I was on edge like that...this week I've just been like, "Great, another day of not knowing..." I guess it's just a pattern now-I'm trying to be patient....... :blink:

Two weeks ago I was on edge like that...this week I've just been like, "Great, another day of not knowing..." I guess it's just a pattern now-I'm trying to be patient....... :blink:

Two weeks ago I was on edge, too, but no one was asking me about it daily. Now I'm just like, heeey, I'm trying NOT to freak out and doing pretty well at it, but you aren't heeelllpppiiiiing!!"

I'm pretty sure I would, just so I wouldn't have to go through everyone asking me after I already knew.

That is true...It is not something I would want to go over and over again.  I was calmer two weeks ago than I am now...now I am growing ever more curious.

That is true...It is not something I would want to go over and over again.  I was calmer two weeks ago than I am now...now I am growing ever more curious.
Me too... Because evey day that we don't hear, it means that the next day is more likely.

Yes, patience is the best thing. The results will come within a month. 

We should all relax; even though anyone may find out today or tomorrow.

I wake up at 2 am like clockwork and look at my phone. If I don't have an email from Estonia, I go back to sleep. Then I get to the end of the day and don't hear anything, so that means I am in the running for another day.

And yes, someone asks me every day if I have heard anything. Most everyone knows I won't know anything until April, so that should slow down the questions....maybe.

Good luck tomorrow! I am keeping my fingers crossed for Germany. :D

Hi there, just popping out of my lurk hole (ha) to see if any other lurkers are waiting on Denmark too. I'm quite envious of those who have heard already -- according to that handy Google Docs chart, lots of Denmark applicants don't hear a peep until the first week of April. For some reason I keep thinking the dates will be earlier this year, but it seems like the Danish choices have been pretty consistent (last few days March/first few days April) for the past few years.

Good luck to everyone!

Anna

Hi there, just popping out of my lurk hole (ha) to see if any other lurkers are waiting on Denmark too. I'm quite envious of those who have heard already -- according to that handy Google Docs chart, lots of Denmark applicants don't hear a peep until the first week of April. For some reason I keep thinking the dates will be earlier this year, but it seems like the Danish choices have been pretty consistent (last few days March/first few days April) for the past few years.   Good luck to everyone Anna
Hi Anna, I applied to Norway, and by the looks of it so far, we're the only applicants to Scandinavia in this forum. Good luck though! Where in Denmark did you apply?

hi! also coming out of my lurk-hole today, been reading this thing for months. I'm a finalist for an ETA in turkey and from looking historically they typically let their grantees know pretty late (last year was May 15th)- are there any other Turkey ETA/Western Europe/etc people who have insight as to when we might hear this year?

Edited by seemoreglass

I've gotten to the point where I just expect it not to happen. At this point, I'd probably be surprised if I found out.

Those are my thoughts exactly. Making everyday "that day" builds anxiety. Well, at least, that's the case with me. 

I've been making active attempts to convince myself I'll be rejected, so if I am it won't be a disappointment, and if I'm not I will become so over excited and annoying that no one will miss me when I leave.

Fellow Germany ETA applicants -- just FYI, so I checked back in the thread from 2012-2013, and the rejects/alternates heard back on March 26th, which was the Monday of the last week of March, and the accepted people heard back on March 28th, which was the Wednesday of the last week of March. Just to give us an idea when we'll hear back this year. :)

Edited by crthrasher