Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

Hi everyone! Germany ETA finalist/long time lurker here, first time posting.

I haven't kept up with this post 100%, so forgive me if this has already been asked, but my FPA told me back in October that I should definitely NOT rank the Bundesländer, but rather leave it blank, because it will otherwise lower my chances. Has anyone else heard this? I read the e-mail today and it said that it would not affect the outcome, but I am still hesitant!

Thoughts?

It's been a few days since I got the news, but the excitement of getting recommended for an ETA to Vietnam has not subsided in the least! I'm absolutely ecstatic to get this far in the competition, and I wish the best of luck for all those who did not hear the same good news. 

The rest of us still have at least two months to go before the final decisions starts trickling in country to country. This is definitely going to be a harder wait for me because of the uncertainty!

I haven't kept up with this post 100%, so forgive me if this has already been asked, but my FPA told me back in October that I should definitely NOT rank the Bundesländer, but rather leave it blank, because it will otherwise lower my chances. Has anyone else heard this? I read the e-mail today and it said that it would not affect the outcome, but I am still hesitant!

Thoughts?

I find your FPA's claims suspect, especially in the context of the e-mail we received today. I see no reason for the Fulbright folks to be very explicit about something not affecting your chances and then secretly factor it in... Perhaps my faith in people is too high, but that seems like rather sheisty, un-Fulbright-like behavior.

I really hope that ranking the Bundesländer wouldn't hurt our chances, I am putting my faith in those at the Fulbright commission as well. I probably could have contemplated a bit more, seeing as we have until February 1st, but I got really excited and sent my questionnaire. I listed Bayern as my first choice (have studied abroad in Austria twice), Baden-Württemberg, and Nordrhein-Westfalen. Bayern was a no-brainer for me, and both Baden and Nordrhein seemed like interesting places to live, plus multiple bordering countries to potentially visit!

Hi all, If you've been recommended, update it on the Fulbright spreadsheet!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmoTe-gJd4B9dFJ0aW1mYTVkYnhKcUEzR28yRTNwdlE

Send an email to fulbright2013.2014@gmail.com with all your details. Check out the tabs at the bottom for previous years and when you should expect to hear back.

Good luck!!!

I really hope that ranking the Bundesländer wouldn't hurt our chances, I am putting my faith in those at the Fulbright commission as well. I probably could have contemplated a bit more, seeing as we have until February 1st, but I got really excited and sent my questionnaire. I listed Bayern as my first choice (have studied abroad in Austria twice), Baden-Württemberg, and Nordrhein-Westfalen. Bayern was a no-brainer for me, and both Baden and Nordrhein seemed like interesting places to live, plus multiple bordering countries to potentially visit!

All three are fantastic choices. If you get a chance in Bavaria, check out the Naturpark Altmühltal - it's an expansive nature park between Nuremberg and Ingolstadt. I lived beside it and could see part of the hiking trails from my apartment (which I would, from time to time, venture through on a lazy Sunday).

Best of luck!

Not certain, but I'm thinking Hessen (studied abroad in Marburg), Niedersachsen (my boyfriend is from there/I'm familiar with it) and Hamburg (will visit for the first time in April, but I think it's a city I'd really like?). What about you?

I'm not sure yet. My knee jerk reaction is to put Bavaria as my first choice, because I spent 3 months there and loved it. I kind of feel like I should go somewhere else to get a new experience.

Here is what I am most likely going to do though: My side project is going to volunteer at a therepeutic horseback riding center in Germany. I started volunteering at a center in the US recently, and have a horse background, so that's covered. Therepeutic riding started in Germany, so there are quite a few centers. I've been looking at the website for Germany's therepeutic riding association, and it has lists of all the affiliated centers per state. I will probably choose the ones that have those most centers as my top three. I believe they were North Rhine Westphalia, Lower Saxony, and Bavaria, in that order. I want to get my masters in Speech Language pathology, and work at a therepeutic riding center later. From what I have experienced so far, there are a lot of Physical and Occupational therapists who work in this type of therapy , but not as many Speech pathologists. That is probably just my own anecdotal evidence but whatever.

Phew.

If that doesn't work out though, I hope to volunteer/job shadow a Speech Pathologist in the German school system. Speech pathology is covered under Germany's health care system, so it seems like there might be a decent number in the school system. So I'm hoping that is a good back up plan!!

Sorry for the lengthy answer :o

All three are fantastic choices. If you get a chance in Bavaria, check out the Naturpark Altmühltal - it's an expansive nature park between Nuremberg and Ingolstadt. I lived beside it and could see part of the hiking trails from my apartment (which I would, from time to time, venture through on a lazy Sunday).

Best of luck!

OOh. cool! I was in Bavaria for a while, but only took a day trip to Nuernberg. I'd really like to try and check that park out! Thanks for the tip!

Anyone looking at south Germany (Bavaria or Baden)? I'm not an ETA candidate (full grant in Tübingen), but I lived in Bavaria last year and it was so amazing. Thuringia would also be a great Bundesland, I'd think. But Bavaria is pretty unique in Germany because of it's history, and so has a lot of amazing cities (Nuremberg, Regensburg, Munich, Würzburg, etc.) disproportionate to its size - and is a hop away from Austria and Switzerland (for those Germanophiles).

I spent a few months in Bavaria, about an hour south of Munich, in Regensburg. I am really tempted to put Bavaria as my first choice, but I kind of wnat to experience another part of Germany. Living further south would be great though, as I have family in Croatia that I plan on revisiting as much as possible if I am picked. It was only (ha) an 8 hour train ride from Munich to Zagreb, which is close to where my family lives. I know I can't make that a priority, but I can't help but want to factor it in.

Thoughts?

I have not heard this. I think I might contact my FPA and ask about it. I hope that's not true! While I definitely have some places that I would like to go to the most, I would not turn anything down!!!

I spent a few months in Bavaria, about an hour south of Munich, in Regensburg. I am really tempted to put Bavaria as my first choice, but I kind of wnat to experience another part of Germany. Living further south would be great though, as I have family in Croatia that I plan on revisiting as much as possible if I am picked. It was only (ha) an 8 hour train ride from Munich to Zagreb, which is close to where my family lives. I know I can't make that a priority, but I can't help but want to factor it in.

Regensburg is a great city! Except that the Deutsche Bank ATM ate my debit card there... that was a big panic moment für einen nervösen Austauschstudent. I'd definitely suggest Baden or Rheinland-Pfalz if not Bayern (meine deutsche Heimat). Ach, I want to get back to Germany so much.

Hi folks - recommended for a full grant to Germany in music.  Any others out there?

Congrats! I know who you are! Lol, it is your Drexel friend in Biomedical Engineering applying to Netherlands. I was also recommended! How exciting and congratulations! 

Hi all, If you've been recommended, update it on the Fulbright spreadsheet!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmoTe-gJd4B9dFJ0aW1mYTVkYnhKcUEzR28yRTNwdlE

Send an email to fulbright2013.2014@gmail.com with all your details. Check out the tabs at the bottom for previous years and when you should expect to hear back.

Good luck!!!

Excellent. Thanks for the link. I looked through  all the tabs lol. Now I'm hoping to find out March 26th! Let the waiting games begin!

Does anyone have any information on UK phone interviews?

I found some good stuff online, but was wondering if anyone knows anything that may be helpful. My FPA set up a practice interview with me, but I have not been contacted by the Fulbright Commission about a phone interview as of yet.... does anyone know what the deal is? 

Thanks!!!!

Does anyone have any information on UK phone interviews?

I found some good stuff online, but was wondering if anyone knows anything that may be helpful. My FPA set up a practice interview with me, but I have not been contacted by the Fulbright Commission about a phone interview as of yet.... does anyone know what the deal is? 

Thanks!!!!

My FPA shared these questions from a past UK Fulbright interview.

-What will you do upon returning from the UK--immediately and in the future? 

-What will your Fulbright do for the US?

-How does the Fulbright relate to your career goals?

-How will you get involved in the local community outside of your research?

-You've been to the UK before.  Could you briefly tell us of your experiences there?

-Are there any other aspects of UK culture that you are interested in outside of your work?

-If you got stuck in an elevator with a non-academic, how would you describe your research ideas to her/him?

-Is there anything you'd like to ask us? (This question was at the end; I had nothing to ask, so I just reaffirmed how committed I am to this project and how I would be a good fit for the Fulbright ideals.)

Hmmmm, it looks like I may find out around April 15-16th. That's not too long to wait :)

Ya! That's not too bad. Indonesia looks like it'll let me know around March 27th... I don't want to get my hopes up too high because it could jump later than that any year, right? Darn waiting.

Anyone applying to a country where the final notifications are around the same time year to year? In the years that I can find data my country has notified people on:

• the first week of April
  • the last week of April
  • the last week of March
  • mid-April

There's no real discernible pattern. Is anyone lucky enough (or unlucky, based on your perspective) to have a pretty good knowledge of their notification date? 

Anyone applying to a country where the final notifications are around the same time year to year? In the years that I can find data my country has notified people on:

• the first week of April
  • the last week of April
  • the last week of March
  • mid-April

There's no real discernible pattern. Is anyone lucky enough (or unlucky, based on your perspective) to have a pretty good knowledge of their notification date? 

No. If it makes you feel better there's no data on my country and I could find out from February to May 15th! Ahhhh