Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

Yes, I think they should email us letting us know when they have received our transcripts. I was referring to everyone calling to confirm status.. which, obviously they wouldn't have to do if they just emailed :P

Truth, fellow Whovian. 

UK folks, my FPA just sent me the following... apparently she just got it via the National Association of Fellowships Advisors listserv:

Hello all,

Just a quick message to update you on the Fulbright Postgraduate Award selections for the UK...

We are finalising our shortlist at the moment, in conjunction with our University partners. Telephone interviews with the Commission will be scheduled to occur between 21-18th February. We aim to contact applicants by Thursday, February 14thto invite them to interview. As in previous years we may not call all short-listed candidates to interview.

Once interviews are completed we will be in a position to put out our press release to announce the new cohort of US Fulbright Postgraduate Students. We anticipate that this information will be available on our Website by early/mid March.

I don't know about you, but this makes me feel so much better. It looks like interviews this year will be later than they ever have been for the UK. 

I wish there was an emoticon to describe relief.  :rolleyes: maybe this?

xo,

I applied to for a Russian ETA and have my interview this Sunday night. I'm so nervous! 

A few weeks ago I found a forum on the website "reddit" that offered advice from past ETA participants in Russia. It's a long thread but if you search "interview" they offer at least a little insight into the types of things they were asked! 

http://www.neckbeard.ca/r/IAmA/comments/15bxfo/iama_group_of_fulbright_fellows_living_teaching/

Are you (and any other Russian ETA applicants) doing your interview on the phone or via skype? I chose phone because I figured it would be easier to come across confident (and to have notes in front of me). I've taken four years of college level Russian but I am still not very confident conversationally and so this is definitely the most nerve wracking part of the process for me. 

I did mine via Skype. It was actually a surprisingly stress-free experience; she even said that it was not to talk about the typical interview questions, though we did talk about the program and teaching a bit, but really just to see that we could get along in the language. (Like, I talked about what I was hypothetically do on my first day of class, but also got asked about what I do in my free time and what TV shows I watch.) Oksana was very nice and friendly to talk to, so don't worry! 

Are you also a graduating senior? 

UK folks, my FPA just sent me the following... apparently she just got it via the National Association of Fellowships Advisors listserv:

Hello all,

Just a quick message to update you on the Fulbright Postgraduate Award selections for the UK...

We are finalising our shortlist at the moment, in conjunction with our University partners. Telephone interviews with the Commission will be scheduled to occur between 21-18th February. We aim to contact applicants by Thursday, February 14thto invite them to interview. As in previous years we may not call all short-listed candidates to interview.

Once interviews are completed we will be in a position to put out our press release to announce the new cohort of US Fulbright Postgraduate Students. We anticipate that this information will be available on our Website by early/mid March.

I don't know about you, but this makes me feel so much better. It looks like interviews this year will be later than they ever have been for the UK. 

I wish there was an emoticon to describe relief.  :rolleyes: maybe this?

xo,

Ha I was literally just about to post that! Maybe there's still hope....

FYI Germany ETA applicants -- just e-mailed Cara and we do not have to do the additional application with the PAD:

"The requirements for the ETA to Germany have changed.  We only need you to submit your top three preferences for Bundesland placement, of [sic] you have a preference."

So there you go, in case you are like me and were beginning to wonder if you should have received something additional by now :)

So... since the deadline this year to send in Bundesländer preference was Feb. 1st, rather than Feb. 27th (with translated essays)... does this mean we could find out about final decisions earlier this year?!

Wishful thinking, probably. O:)

BTW - thank you everyone for your feedback regarding ranking Bundesländer. This is a belated response on my part, but I read everyone's input and did end up ranking them a few weeks ago, in case anyone was wondering. (My FPA seemed so certain back in October, and I didn't know any better so it was intimidating at first!)

I appreciate your responses!

FYI, my FPA just passed this along. Nothing ground breaking, but a tiny piece of official information to tide you over:

"No news yet from Fulbright, but I did receive the following message today concerning the date of notifications:

In the coming weeks, Fulbright U.S. Student selection decisions will start coming in from the host countries.   Because Fulbright requires additional review and approval of selected panels by the Department of State and the Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board, applicant notification will begin in early March and continue through April and May.

The first notification of selection, alternate or non-selection status will be issued by IIE in an email to the students.  As was the case last year, we will copy the FPA on the email so that you will know the decision at the same time the student does.
"

This is interesting-- I was looking at the Fulbright website and found that the number of applications for each country for the 2013-2014 cycle is listed:

http://us.fulbrightonline.org/studyresearch-grant-application-statistics

http://us.fulbrightonline.org/eta-grant-application-statistics

Wow, this year there was a dramatic decrease in the number of applications for the full grants to Spain:

Applications     Awards

2011     154                 28

2012     143                 25

2013     112                30 (not finalized) 

I am more excited now. 

Wow. The number of research/study grants for Indonesia jumped from 10 to 20... I know "award numbers are projected and not yet finalized" as they say, but that is very exciting. Now what I want to know is: did they know the award number had doubled when they recommended people? So did they send 15-20? or closer to 40?

I wish there was a person assigned just to me to answer all my Fulbright/IIE questions immediately. That sure would be nice. ;)

Wow, this year there was a dramatic decrease in the number of applications for the full grants to Spain:

Applications     Awards

2011     154                 28

2012     143                 25

2013     112                30 (not finalized) 

I am more excited now. 

Same for Italy!!!!  Application numbers are very similar, but about half the number of awards for Italy :(

But at this point, once you're recommended, it doesn't really matter how many applications there were to start.

However, knowing there are 16 awards available for Italy is awesome because it had said 13 on the website earlier.

Same for Italy!!!!  Application numbers are very similar, but about half the number of awards for Italy :(

But at this point, once you're recommended, it doesn't really matter how many applications there were to start.

However, knowing there are 16 awards available for Italy is awesome because it had said 13 on the website earlier.

Nice observation. My impatience at this point is much less intense because I have no idea when I will be finding out and the odds are a lot more favorable. Well, April is when last year's Spain grantees were notified. We shall see. 

This is interesting-- I was looking at the Fulbright website and found that the number of applications for each country for the 2013-2014 cycle is listed:

http://us.fulbrightonline.org/studyresearch-grant-application-statistics

http://us.fulbrightonline.org/eta-grant-application-statistics

Thanks for passing this along. ~70 less applicants for ETA Malaysia this year and the same number of grants. That's promising...

I assume the number of applications means all of those who were nominated by their university and at large, but also include those who did not make it past national screening?

Thanks for passing this along. ~70 less applicants for ETA Malaysia this year and the same number of grants. That's promising...

I assume the number of applications means all of those who were nominated by their university and at large, but also include those who did not make it past national screening?

Yeah, that's correct. It's the total number of applicants from Oct. 17, 2012. 

In the coming weeks, Fulbright U.S. Student selection decisions will start coming in from the host countries.   Because Fulbright requires additional review and approval of selected panels by the Department of State and the Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board, applicant notification will begin in early March and continue through April and May.

This is in regards to the first or second round?  I still haven't been notified about my first round (Full, UK).  I am starting to feel like the internet has devoured my notification email.

This is in regards to the first or second round?  I still haven't been notified about my first round (Full, UK).  I am starting to feel like the internet has devoured my notification email.

You should call IIE just to make sure they have your email, info, etc correct. 

I looked at Study/Research Applications for other countries/regions and noticed that applications seem to be down ~25% for quite a few countries.

I wonder if it's because of the slight improvement in the economy(more people entering the private sector), something on the FPA level (discouraging borderline applicants from applying), or just a coincidence? Seems pretty systemic though.

Edited by lls11

I looked at Study/Research Applications for other countries/regions and noticed that applications seem to be down ~25% for quite a few countries.

I wonder if it's because of the slight improvement in the economy(more people entering the private sector), something on the FPA level (discouraging borderline applicants from applying), or just a coincidence? Seems pretty systemic though.

That does make sense. My FPA did not discourage me from applying to Spain, but he did emphasize that applying there is very competitive. I think most people were discouraged about applying to Spain due to the recent economic problems (especially with unemployment). It appears that funding may have not been cut for Fulbright programs. 

Edited by Books2readme