Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

If it's not too presumptuous, I think it would be prudent to suggest we steer clear of any sort of political discussions 'round these parts... Wouldn't want to disrupt the camraderie we've worked so hard to build over these last several months.

I agree. Sorry. This was completely my fault. I won't go there again.

No worries -- I have pretty strong political opinions myself and have done campaign work, so I get it :)

I didn't realize there were 46 awards for the UK. Don't give up hope. I really think this budgeting mess and insecurity here is slowing the process.

46 awards is great, but for partnership universities there's only 1 per school.... =(

Oh, hey, just in case anyone is still working on their contingency plan, Groupon has a deal for online bartending classes! You dont' want to pass that up!!!

In all seriousness though, they have a TEOFL online course for $66, down from $200-something. I don't know if it is a reliable company, but it might be worth looking into for ETA'ers.

Just to chime in about the Groupon.

I am an experienced English teacher but I don't have the certifications so after a lot of careful consideration I decided to buy that Groupon last year. I haven't actually done the course yet but I decided to buy it because I have enough experience and excellent recommendations to make up for a crappy certification granting organisation. Also I have found that you really don't need the certs to teach, but they can help you get a better pay bracket if you have them. If you do not have classroom experience though I would suggest saving your money. Really the best thing you could do right now would be to see if you can volunteer at a local school or work/volunteer at an ESL school in your area and search the internet for teaching resources. If there are colleges/universities in your town they will invariably have an ESL institute over the summer and they are almost always hiring. I am hoping to get a job with Education First (be skeptical of their town listing, the Seattle location is actually Olympia, 60 miles away from Seattle).

If teaching English is really the thing you want to do and you have the time/money the CELTA is pretty much the pinnacle of certs. In any case here is a thread in which you may find some useful (and not so useful bickering) about the Groupon specifically and ESL work in general:

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=2191229&messageID=20440570#20440570

Also The International Educator is a posting service for international teaching jobs. It is not a placement agency but it is probably the best known clearinghouse for international teaching jobs so you will find everything from the best schools in Paris to the most fly by night outfits in the back of beyond. You can find it all on their site but you have to pay a fee, unfortunately, to see the full ads. If you join just do the most base fee, don't pay for any extras, they don't help and you can share login's because all you really need is the job details.

Cheers!

Edited by amirah

Yeah, but that doesn't excuse Ruluo posting basically a personal attack on someone (I think we can all agree it is not nice to tell someone their outlook is naive) and then an odd statement about not wanting to start an argument, promptly followed by argumentative statements.

So, let's avoid the political, but also the personal and argumentative.

Uh, it's going to benefit a relatively low percentage of people and inconvenience and cost the rest of us more... I'd prefer not to start an argument on the subject, and there is clearly a case for universal health insurance (I'd argue there's already universal care, though the means and quality of it may be an issue in some cases), but it's very naive to believe the PPACA is going to be some panacea that insures tens of millions of additional people without costing more or overburdening the system (which is already a reality).
Oops I didn't mean to bring politics in here. I'm always up for healthy political discourse but this forum is probably not the right venue :)

Yeah, but that doesn't excuse Ruluo posting basically a personal attack on someone (I think we can all agree it is not nice to tell someone their outlook is naive) and then an odd statement about not wanting to start an argument, promptly followed by argumentative statements.

Yeah let's stop the personal attacks, RULUO!!! 

Just to chime in about the Groupon.

I am an experienced English teacher but I don't have the certifications so after a lot of careful consideration I decided to buy that Groupon last year. I haven't actually done the course yet but I decided to buy it because I have enough experience and excellent recommendations to make up for a crappy certification granting organisation. Also I have found that you really don't need the certs to teach, but they can help you get a better pay bracket if you have them. If you do not have classroom experience though I would suggest saving your money. Really the best thing you could do right now would be to see if you can volunteer at a local school or work/volunteer at an ESL school in your area and search the internet for teaching resources. If there are colleges/universities in your town they will invariably have an ESL institute over the summer and they are almost always hiring. I am hoping to get a job with Education First (be skeptical of their town listing, the Seattle location is actually Olympia, 60 miles away from Seattle).

If teaching English is really the thing you want to do and you have the time/money the CELTA is pretty much the pinnacle of certs. In any case here is a thread in which you may find some useful (and not so useful bickering) about the Groupon specifically and ESL work in general:

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=2191229&messageID=20440570#20440570

Also The International Educator is a posting service for international teaching jobs. It is not a placement agency but it is probably the best known clearinghouse for international teaching jobs so you will find everything from the best schools in Paris to the most fly by night outfits in the back of beyond. You can find it all on their site but you have to pay a fee, unfortunately, to see the full ads. If you join just do the most base fee, don't pay for any extras, they don't help and you can share login's because all you really need is the job details.

Cheers!

I am always astounded by your highly informative posts!! Thanks!!!

Hows about we drop the political/taking out our collective frustrations on one person business, ok? Can't we go back to just being:

> worried

> anxious

> refreshing emails constantly

> trying to decide what we are going to be when we grow up

> looking for work

> avoiding work

> students

> not students

> fill in the ___________________

FREAKED OUT members of this nice forum where we have found camaraderie and support? 

I am always astounded by your highly informative posts!! Thanks!!!

Oooo that gave me such a warm and fuzzy feeling! Thank you. I will smile for the day! Thanks for posting the question.

Ok. Finally broke down and decided to post after lurking since...a really long time. Though I have nothing of use to add -- but thanks to all for giving me waaaaaay more information (for better or worse) than I ever would have had on my own! I'm guessing no one else out there is applying to the EU?

Hows about we drop the political/taking out our collective frustrations on one person business, ok? Can't we go back to just being:

> worried

> anxious

> looking for work

> avoiding work

> students

> not students

FREAKED OUT members of this nice forum where we have found camaraderie and support? 

Oh oh pick me!  That hasn't changed for me! =P

I was just going to upvote you, but apparently I have reached my upvote quota of the day.

I don't think Ruluo's statement was an attack, per se, so I don't think we really need to hold him(her? sorry)up for a public thrashing. I do, however, agree with you in that I thought it was odd to first say you weren't trying to cause an argument and then go on to do so. As far as argumentative statements go, though, I felt what he(she?) said was fairly tame. So let's not go blasting him(her).

> worried

> anxious

> looking for work

> avoiding work

> students

> not students

LMAO. "trying to decide what we are going to be when we grow up" Love it! Not sure I will ever figure that one out, but

there is still a small part of me that is holding out for

Sadly, I just don't think it's meant to be. Edited by there'sanappforthat

I was just going to upvote you, but apparently I have reached my upvote quota of the day.

I don't think Ruluo's statement was an attack, per se, so I don't think we really need to hold him(her? sorry)up for a public thrashing. I do, however, agree with you in that I thought it was odd to first say you weren't trying to cause an argument and then go on to do so. As far as argumentative statements go, though, I felt what he(she?) said was fairly tame. So let's not go blasting him(her).

agree...guess the sarcasm of my RULUO!!! comment didn't translate...which is great cause instead I just sound totally unhinged

Hm, I don't get the logic here. One poster (Ruluo) diverts from 98 pages of cordial discussion. I noted as such in saying that it's "not nice" to call someone's idea naive, and to post argumentative statements if we don't want to argue. That is all pretty straightforward and objective.

Ruluo's intention was to "blast" the ideas of someone else. They shouldn't get a free pass to sidetrack the sentiment of the thread.

HITLER! There we go, we've hit Godwin's Law. We can reset the discussion to Fulbright stuff.

I did email our campus rep for Fulbright. I will post again, if and when I receive some info. Hopefully I will have some good news for you guys.

I am really sorry to cause problems. I didn't mean to at all.

agree...guess the sarcasm of my RULUO!!! comment didn't translate...which is great cause instead I just sound totally unhinged

Asking someone not to make a personal attack is a personal attack?

OH MY LORD!! SOMEONE GET THE TRANQUILIZER GUN!! WE'VE GOT A LIVE ONE!!

haha. Yeah, unfortunately sarcasm does not translate well via text, as I have learned through trial and mostly error. Actually, come to that, my brand of sarcasm never really translates well in any medium, so people usually don't realize I'm being facestious.

Hm, I don't get the logic here. One poster (Ruluo) diverts from 98 pages of cordial discussion. I noted as such in saying that it's "not nice" to call someone's idea naive, and to post argumentative statements if we don't want to argue. That is all pretty straightforward and objective.

Ruluo's intention was to "blast" the ideas of someone else. They shouldn't get a free pass to sidetrack the sentiment of the thread.

HITLER! There we go, we've hit Godwin's Law. We can reset the discussion to Fulbright stuff.

rivernana.jpg?maxWidth=500

LET'S KILL HITLER!

look it up. Seriously, you won't be disappointed!

I'm bored...can we get another public thrashing going to kill some time between now and 3pm? Your turn, CrystalDee!

If you are really that bored, I can recommend a couple of excellent TV shows that might distract you. Seems I'm making up for all the time in college I spent NOT having time to watch TV.