Fulbright 2009-2010

water_rabbit

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got a letter notifying me that I am an alternate. How often are Fulbrights awarded to alternates?

Also, the bottom of my letter says "AL-1." Does anyone else have this on theirs? I'm hoping it's some sort of ranking, but that's probably wishful thinking.

I received a letter today indicating that I am an alternate. I applied for an ETA to Mexico. The letter came in a business-sized white envelope from the IIE. It was posmarked March 26th. I also have an AL-1 at the bottom of my letter. Thanks for all the support and good luck to the rest of you who are still waiting.

I received a letter today indicating that I am an alternate for a masters program grant to Mexico, the bottom of my letter says Al-1. It arrived in a plain white envelope. I'm not sure how realistic it is to be hopeful at this point...

Hi folks --

Yes, the alternate letter arrived in a business-sized envelope direct from IEE and postmarked on 3/26. I, too, have the AL-1 descriptor on the bottom left. I suspect it's not some sort of ranking, but I don't know. It was a one-pager -- nothing else in the envelope.

(I'd applied for a research grant [i'm currently a doctoral student at a university in the US] and wrote my app about examining a social/civic education program in Ecuador).

Good luck to all,

c

Has anyone else gotten finalist status for an ETA to Belgium?

It's good to hear that most things are done via post. Anyone know who I should contact to update my address with the Fulbright people? My advisor at the university hasn't gotten back to me yet...

Yeah, I haven't heard anything from Germany yet either. I live in New York City so I would assume I'd find out pretty quickly after decisions are made. (That is, if letters are being mailed out from NY and not Germany) Maybe this week? Next week? Who knows....I'll keep ya posted if you do the same!

I am waiting on Germany as well. My friend who got a grant last year said she heard Easter weekend (but Easter was at the end of March last year). I don't know if those applying for regular grants will hear back before ETAs or if they will do them all at the same time. I would think the extra application process for the ETAs would make our cycle last longer but maybe they like to announce them all together. Anyone know for sure? I'll be out of town this weekend so I won't be able to obsessively run back and forth from the mail box- I will have my computer though so I will be checking the boards. Thanks to everyone who has posted!

A word to the wise for all new fellows: Fulbright requires a final medical clearance, when you get this, also have the doctor fill out any medical paperwork that you will need for your treaty permit/study visa etc. This will save you a second trip to the doctor. Also, FBI clearance can take three to four weeks, so if you need this for your permit, go get your finger prints now and send it off if you plan on starting this fall. (all info and fingerprinting documents can be found here: http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/fprequest.htm)

Also, taxes are horrible to do overseas, so if you can get your self in order, and figure out what you will need to file for etc. before you go that will be a huge help. Fulbright is helpful if you get stuck while you're in another country, but I think they are limited in how much they can advise you for legal reasons. My friends and I spent waaayyyyy too long figuring out taxes, and I'm still not sure I filed them correctly....

For South Africa ppl- Let me know if you have any trouble with the treaty permit application. I was an SA Fellow 07-08, and being rather daft in these things I had a mission of a time getting myself organized. I've got all the pprwork sitting on my comp. So assuming nothing has changed, I might be able to save you a trip around the internet.

Congrats to all!

Howdy All,

Congrats to all those who got good news! For those who are interested, by roommate heard back about the South Korea ETA position Monday. I am applying for a Hong Kong ETA and have heard nothing yet... if any other Hong Kong ETA applicant receives any news, please let me know! Thanks.