Dress code for grad courses?

How formal should I prepare to dress/present myself for graduate courses in English? I've been debating this with my boyfriend lately; he's taken some grad courses in Math already and says no one dresses any differently, but I don't know if that would transfer into this area. It will be very tempting for me to fly out of bed at the last second; should I spend a bit more time preparing myself?

Tip: Don't forget pants.

Seriously, though, as long as you're not dressed like a streetwalker or literally in your pajamas, I think you'll be fine. I'd avoid the "undergraduate uniform" though, which seems common to all universities: black leggings (those are not pants!), Ugg boots, and a Northface jacket. This outfit drives me bonkers for some reason.

Not Pajamas is what I was going to go with.

But also, avoid other conspicuously inappropriate dress- some mentioned by Bfat.

The idea isn't to dress up, but to not have your dress detract from your other contributions.

Dress your age too.

I look really young and I really don't want to so I'm not gonna be wearing stuff that'll make me look like I might be waiting for my parents to pick me up after class.

Tip: Don't forget pants.

Seriously, though, as long as you're not dressed like a streetwalker or literally in your pajamas, I think you'll be fine. I'd avoid the "undergraduate uniform" though, which seems common to all universities: black leggings (those are not pants!), Ugg boots, and a Northface jacket. This outfit drives me bonkers for some reason.

Those outfits are ubiquitous...and bad. I saw this on facebook awhile back:

186900701717686538531343779206pWb3U08vvJAwMdQBF6J5.PNG

A friend and I try to pick a day a month and do 3-piece-suit lab days. I've got an old seersucker suit that I favor, he goes traditional pinstripe.

Amazing. I'm all in favor of formal dress Fridays, even just once a month!

Ha! That is priceless! But at my university they all wear messy ponytails. Other than that, it's spot on.

What is worse is the messy bun on top of the head. I mean on the VERY top of the head. Looks ridiculous.

I'm sure its discipline specific, but one of the girls in my program has a full scene tattoo from one arm around the back across the shoulders to the other... And several other on her arms, and wears tank tops most of the time. No one seems to have an issue with it.

I'm sure its discipline specific, but one of the girls in my program has a full scene tattoo from one arm around the back across the shoulders to the other... And several other on her arms, and wears tank tops most of the time. No one seems to have an issue with it.

I wasn't too worried about my others; some are even literary. It might be a little different about All Cops Are Bastards, though...

would it be advisable to cover my ACAB hand tattoo, if not always then when meeting professors for the first time?

I often wonder about this in regards to piercings. I have my septum pierced and I've been trying to decide if I should hide it or not. I've also been wondering if half sleeve/full sleeve tattoos (or arm tattoos in general) would be a problem as a grad student or a prof. So far all my tattoos are on my legs, but I'm gonna run out of leg eventually :P There's been some discussion about this in the Lobby, but no conclusions seem to have been reached so far...

English might be stodgier than chemistry, but the aforementioned girl in my department is starting a teaching position in the fall, so... Take it as you will.

I often wonder about this in regards to piercings. I have my septum pierced and I've been trying to decide if I should hide it or not. I've also been wondering if half sleeve/full sleeve tattoos (or arm tattoos in general) would be a problem as a grad student or a prof. So far all my tattoos are on my legs, but I'm gonna run out of leg eventually :P There's been some discussion about this in the Lobby, but no conclusions seem to have been reached so far...

I would advise against getting anything terribly noticeable. Unfortunately professors and other grad students (like anyone else) might judge you based off of this. I just don't want to deal with it. Thus, I have been undergoing tattoo removal on my arms for the past couple months. Oh, and I also got plastic surgery on my ears to close the (giant) holes from my (dumb) youth. I have found that people take you less seriously if you have a bunch of art/piercings often (for better or worse) associated with people that have 'issues.' My .02.

Luckily, no one lets us Lit people into the science labs. ;) Or no one lets me in them, in any event.

In high school I stole a hotplate from the science lab and used the hotplate as, well, "illegal paraphernalia."

I was suspended and banned formally from the lab. That's about the extent of my lab career.

Edited by Stately Plump

After working for Disney, I doubt I'll ever find an employer so averse to tattoos. I've got one on the inside of my wrist--that incidentally looks like a chemical symbol--in honor of my dad (who was, incidentally, a chemistry professor). Most people don't even notice it.