SIPA Acceptance Today?

I heard that they have a way to track the number of times an individual logs into the application website to check for a decision, and the remaining 20% of decisions will be based on that number. The admissions committee is using it as a sign of "how bad we want it."

But you have to be careful and not check too often, because there's a specific number (I won't say what) that is a sign of mental instability, and that will definitely result in a rejection.

So... try to find the middle path.

Best Grad Cafe post of all time. If you really want to start a frenzy, post something similar on the Harvard thread...

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having read some of the posts on the SIPA admissions blog, anyone else get the sense that they haven't reviewed all of the apps yet (even first round), because it sounds like they didn't even start reviewing half of the apps until after the first set of decisions were posted on March 4. For example, some people on this board posted that they only just completed their apps a week or so ago by sending in transcripts and other documents. Also the blog repeatedly says that its irrelevant as to when an application is read

In which case, doesn't that mean that they're sorta doing this in a rolling manner? And if they are, how fair is that given that everyone paid the same damn application fee and submitted their stuff by the deadline?

While I understand where you are coming from and completely emphasize with how frustrated you are with this process, I really do think that SIPA has systematically sorted through the applications and are reviewing based on common denominators. For one thing, the first round of applicants all received straight out rejections/acceptances/wait lists. While with this second round, SIPA sent out the first set of fellowship offers. Clearly, they had with held those applications so that the fellowship committee could review them, and I am sure that the last 20% are being held because the committees are still undecided (both for acceptance and $$).

And honestly, SIPA's job is to recruit the best proposed class for their school, and they wouldn't be such a high caliber school if they didn't give each application equal opportunity.

I just received my notification yesterday after not sleeping for two weeks worrying about a SIPA rejection. Best to all of you! I'm really hoping that you'll hear soon!

Got waitlisted. Was expecting a rejection weeks ago but this is good enough for me.

Will probably not attend (if accepted) due to high costs but will re-apply next year (with better GRE/GMAT scores and additional work experience) and hope for better luck...

Guess I'll have to rough it out as a lawyer for another year or so... :(

I just logged into my application to see the "Decision ready" link. Never received an email. But I've been accepted so WOO HOO! However, no $$ for me so we'll if I can afford it. Not going to stress about the decision until Harvard starts telling people. Then I'll try to figure it out. But for now I'm just going to ride the wave of my 3 acceptances and be happy...

GOOD LUCK to those still waiting!!!!

This morning around 10:30 I checked the website and found my acceptance letter. I have yet to receive an email. FYI here are my stats: GRE: 590 V/740 Q; GPA: 3.7; 2 years of study abroad as undergraduate; 24 yrs old with little work experience (3 internships). It's unlikely that I will accept due to extremely high costs of attending. For those on the wait list, hang in there. Good luck everyone else.

i'm extremely interested in attending sipa mostly because of their human rights concentration and am definitely going into public service. speak 7 langs, got great LOR's from my masters profs (in middle east politics, with high honors) and international ngo experience in developing countries and loads of time spent living abroad/traveling (india, egypt, uk, etc). however am only 23 and feel like the lack of full-time work experience srsly kills my app :( i haven't heard back from a single mpp/mpa program that I applied to, and i'm feeling super disheartened, especially as this is coupled with over 300 job rejections + the need to pay off undergrad debt! i'm so over this recession!!!!

Looks like the 20% might hear today, I checked the apply website at 10:15am (pst) and it was up, still haven't received an email.

No funding though, which makes it financially nuts! And I was MPA, for clarification.

Welcome sas. Here's to hoping that we'll all know at the end of today. Don't know if its a good or a bad sign that there have only been posted acceptances/waitlists so far today though.

FINALLY heard from SIPA at 10:30 MST - was admitted! :D ... but without funding :| Think I'm gonna accept, despite the high cost... will just hope and pray that the economy will be better in 2 years and I'll be able to find a job that'll help me pay off my massive debt!!!!

Good luck to everyone else who's still waiting... really thought they'd send out all the decisions today. Guess there's still some more waiting for the 20% Club.

"i'm in the same club. and i guess i'm still not in the whatever phase. I'm in the "im so mad" phase, because it will NOT be fair being so anxious for three weeks and then beeing rejected. i wonder why it takes so long"

Haha...I guess at the end of it, I'm not in the "whatever" phase either given that I'm still checking this site so often...but yeah I will be annoyed if I'm rejected primarily cause it took them so long to do it...

seriously at this point, even if they do want to reject us, they should just tell us we're waitlisted so we can walk away with some dignity and have the illusion that some members of the adcom really did want to accept us.

Yeah, I'm left in the 20% club as well. The worst part is that it's most likely because they lost my college transcripts and only noticed last week. Oh well, I'm in at Yale, so I guess even a rejection from SIPA wouldn't be such a big deal.

Best of luck to all of you

I'm 20% too. I was really upset at first when I saw so many acceptances/rejections a few weeks ago... Now I feel a bit of solidarity with the other 20-percenters. :)

I'm assuming most of the 20% left are apps where the two readers had split decisions. For instance, I'm sure my work experience and grades are probably fine but my "quant" skills don't look as sharp (though they are. no really. they are. I can graph you something if you'd live). I guess it's better to be re-considered than outright rejected? Otherwise, if you speak 7 languages, went to an ivy league school and you're a lawyer.... I'm totally screwed.

It's terrible that they are taking so long on our applications. I've alienated a lot of my friend recently, lashing out at people. Not sleeping well. Drinking too much. I got sick last week with a cold... And don't even get me started with my focus at work...

if i receive an email telling me that they want me to reapply after more professional experience, i might become really depressed. they could have said so early march

if you guys get an answer, could u post?

i might have a nervous break down. and i still have exams on saturday. So i hope sipa won't screw with my nerves