MFA 2013 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ten-of-swords

Anyone heard from Tyler sculpture? I'd like to know if I have 3 schools to choose from at this point or 2. (Well, technically waiting to hear from VCU sculpture too, but at this point I don't think I got in.)

Anyone heard from Tyler sculpture? I'd like to know if I have 3 schools to choose from at this point or 2. (Well, technically waiting to hear from VCU sculpture too, but at this point I don't think I got in.)

I havent heard of anyone being accepted or even interviewed for VCU sculpture yet. A friend called last week and they said they had a large amount of sculpture applicants so it may take a while..they didnt even give us any sort of date as to when we can expect any word...

Edited by ArsenicYellow

Accepted at MICA mt. royal and waitlisted at hoffberger! woooooo

having a much better day now

that's great, are you familiar with the campus/city? It's an interesting choice between the two programs. As a MICA alum I'd love to see your work!

I havent heard of anyone being accepted or even interviewed for VCU sculpture yet. A friend called last week and they said they had a large amount of sculpture applicants so it may take a while..they didnt even give us any sort of date as to when we can expect any word...

That's good to hear that there has not been any new yet there's still hope! haha

I got some snail mail from Mass Art -- rejection to the 3D MFA program... I wasn't sure what to expect but these things happen. 

RISD- Accepted - phone call 3/14

Syracuse 

Cranbrook

Tyler

Notre Dame

VCU

Alfred - Rejected - snail mail 2/10

Mass Art - Rejected - snail mail 3/15

Received waitlist letter today from SVA. I really would love to go there (if I got off the waitlist- fingers crossed)- I am in love with their Illustration as Visual Essay program. But I'm worried about the high cost of NYC and tuition. And they don't offer scholarships, anyone know?  From what I could see, it looks like a few $1,000 scholarships are offered here and there.

Still waiting on Tulane, although seeing as how some have already received their acceptances, I am assuming a rejection from them.

Congrats to everyone thus far! 

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!! Do you think you'll go?

Thanks! Still waiting to hear back from 2 schools so who knows.  I'm very excited though.  Got into PennDesign and enjoyed my tour/interview.  It's too bad the school is so expensive.

Congrats! Did you find out via Email or snail mail?

Thanks! Got a phone call.  Really impressed by how professional and fair they are about everything at MICA.  The mid atlantic is a whole other world from the northeast as far as public relations go.  An expensive school, but one that I think is quickly getting better and better.  Got one or two things I'm waiting on, but good chance I'll take their offer, everyone is so nice, and feel wonderful that they like my work.   :wub:

Thanks! Got a phone call.  Really impressed by how professional and fair they are about everything at MICA.  The mid atlantic is a whole other world from the northeast as far as public relations go.  An expensive school, but one that I think is quickly getting better and better.  Got one or two things I'm waiting on, but good chance I'll take their offer, everyone is so nice, and feel wonderful that they like my work.   :wub:

They gave me the most aid out of all the schools that accepted me. It came out to almost 75%! ^_^ I hope you get to go! 

They gave me the most aid out of all the schools that accepted me. It came out to almost 75%! ^_^ I hope you get to go! 

wow that's amazing. I wasn't offered nearly that much. I would go hands down if that was the case for me.  We'll see if I get in anywhere else.  How are you liking it? 

wow that's amazing. I wasn't offered nearly that much. I would go hands down if that was the case for me.  We'll see if I get in anywhere else.  How are you liking it? 

Aw, I love it. I graduate this June. I'm in the low-res program and it's been amazing. I'm glad I chose them over VCU...The resources and facilities are great. Would you be a Mountie or Hoffberger? I like the work coming out of Mount Royal...

Received waitlist letter today from SVA. I really would love to go there (if I got off the waitlist- fingers crossed)- I am in love with their Illustration as Visual Essay program. But I'm worried about the high cost of NYC and tuition. And they don't offer scholarships, anyone know?  From what I could see, it looks like a few $1,000 scholarships are offered here and there.

Still waiting on Tulane, although seeing as how some have already received their acceptances, I am assuming a rejection from them.

Congrats to everyone thus far! 

i was accepted to SVA last year. i calculated that it would have cost me $60k each year to attend. that would have all been loans, as they don't offer much funding. they will match any outside scholarship you receive up to $2,000. that's about it.

Aw, I love it. I graduate this June. I'm in the low-res program and it's been amazing. I'm glad I chose them over VCU...The resources and facilities are great. Would you be a Mountie or Hoffberger? I like the work coming out of Mount Royal...

I was accepted at Mt. Royal and waitlisted at Hoffberger, so I'm not sure. I'm a painter so it would be a tough choice.  Haven't really checked out too much of the work coming from Mt. Royal but I've heard great things.  I'm a little hesitant about baltimore, but my options to stay in NYC are not many at this point. I think there's a really good chance I'll end up in maryland, my two best friends from college are from there, that town seems to want to suck me in.  Had an interview at NYU, but a little nervous about how little is talked about that program, would love to know peoples' thoughts on that.  

that's great to hear erpnope, thanks for the heads up.  The art scene in BK is accessible too, been making good things happen here, which is why I'm hesitant.  I got a good vibe from Baltimore too, I was in providence for a while and I felt like things were really stagnant there.  

Yeah I have a sister in PVD and I get the same vibe. I think the main difference between brooklyn and baltimore is stress level due to money. All my friends in brooklyn are really stressed because they have to constantly hustle to cover their basics, where as here if you find the right places you can pay as low as $300 for rent and $100 for studio space in the cooler areas/artist buildings etc. I have friends who run nice storefront galleries with rent of $300 a month split between 3 people, etc. The money makes a difference, I think. Plus the city is super into it's arts funding right now so we have things like the Sondheim Prize (25k and finalists get a show in the BMA), the Baker Artist Awards (three $25k grants yearly), B-Grants (nine $1k grants yearly), Awesome Grants, etc... plus smaller galleries like sophiajacob, nudashank, current space, open space, etc. Actually for a while the city was giving many artists/curators ground floor gallery space and $10k for renovations if they applied for it. I don't remember what that program was called but I went to a few shows for it in 2011, 2012. I will tell you that it doesn't really have a blue chip scene and the collectors mostly come from DC, but I don't think that bothers anyone too much. 

i'm originally from new york city but i think baltimore is kind of a cool place to live ~right now~ if you are looking to really work on your art, show it, and live a good quality of life while doing it. Brooklyn is awesome, no doubt, but there is sooo much stuff going on here I haven't even scratched the surface of, and a lot of people launch pad from baltimore into LA/Chicago/NYC so it's not like there are no connections drawing you to those places either, post graduation. A good amount of people stay by choice, actually, if that tells you anything.

here are some of those galleries & things i was talking about:

http://nudashank.tumblr.com/

http://sophiajacob.com/

http://www.openspacebaltimore.com/

bakerartistawards.org

Thanks erpnope, all good things. Appreciate you taking the time to write that out.  Would love to see your work, are you applying for MFA programs this year?  It seems like people in baltimore actually care, whereas in Providence the corruption in city government, combined with the pull of NYC, makes whatever goes on there kind of irrelevant. Have heard good things about nudashank, definitely need to check them out.