MFA 2013 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ten-of-swords

Does anyone have information on scholarships or grants for MFA Visual Art candidates? I've received a pretty great financial offer from one of the schools but still have some money to come up with. Are most of you planning on taking out loans to cover the costs? I've been researching endlessly online and haven't found any scholarship opportunities to even apply to! I thought there'd be more options for graduate school funding but it seems like the majority of scholarships are for undergraduate work. WTF!

Some schools have good funding.  The "top" art schools usually don't.  

good luck

Hey Arsenic, something very similar to what happened to you happened to my husband recently, he was out of contact (by his mistake) for over a week, and then it took the school a couple days to get back to him, which was stressful but in the end it was really no big deal, I wouldn't waste any valuable time worrying, no doubt that time could be better spent, and it'll probably end up being no bggie.

Got the call on the 15th that MICA had a double dose of good news for me. Accepted to both Hoffberger & Mount Royal. After 3 rejections it was such a relief to finally be accepted somewhere. Now begins the process of deciding which one to choose...

Ooh, tough choice, your work must be really awesome! Joan Waltemath is so cool, though.....

Does anyone have information on scholarships or grants for MFA Visual Art candidates? I've received a pretty great financial offer from one of the schools but still have some money to come up with. Are most of you planning on taking out loans to cover the costs? I've been researching endlessly online and haven't found any scholarship opportunities to even apply to! I thought there'd be more options for graduate school funding but it seems like the majority of scholarships are for undergraduate work. WTF!

I'm going to the Foundation Center sometime this week to check out their grant and scholarship database.  This is the organization that puts out those huge grant resource books.  They have locations around the US you can visit for free and search their database with the help of their librarians. - Check out the website and find a location near you.

I'll post what I find, here's what I have now:

Worldstudio Scholarship: Due March 29th

Artists of color / $2,000 - $5,000

http://scholarships.worldstudioinc.com/

Jack Kent Cooke Foundation Graduate Arts Awards: Due November (apply next year?)

Artists from low income backgrounds / up to $50,000 award

http://www.jkcf.org/scholarships/graduate-scholarships/graduate-arts-award/

Edited by capers

Arsenic--I totally understand where you're coming from. You're among kindred spirits, I suspect. :-)  I spent the whole weekend freaking out that I had (potentially stupidly) contacted a number of schools to check on the notification dates! Luckily, the responses I've received were friendly, but I always worry that I pestered them and they'll cross me off a list.

For those involved in the MICA wait game, I got my snail mail letter today and learned I'm wait listed, which could (according to the letter) drag on until early summer. This likely means they'll be out of the running, unless something dramatic happens.

I did not receive an email or phone call from MICA, as others who were accepted did, so I suspect if you're still waiting to hear from them today, after their 15th deadline, you may also be wait listed.

just spoke to the chair of painting at vcu. she said that they have already interviewed their candidates, so i guess everyone else who didn't interview it's rejection for us. 

still haven't heard from tyler after interview. 

Edited by woodworked

just spoke to the chair of painting at vcu. she said that they have already interviewed their candidates, so i guess everyone else who didn't interview it's rejection for us. 

still haven't heard from tyler after interview. 

I called the admissions and the VCU painting+printmaking department separately. 

the department also told me that they finished review portfolios a while ago, so ppl who didn't get interviewed is most likely a no.

the admissions haven't got all the decisions from each department yet, that would explain why the website is still "complete, ready for review" for some people, and why the admissions told me the department is sill reviewing.... 

Applied at Tyler for sculpture and so far no word, but on the portal site it lists my application as "Complete Ready for Review"

Has anybody else heard from Tyler for sculpture? Also, I had no interview, but I don't know that Tyler interviews everyone necessarily. What's the deal with that? No interview = boned?

Did anyone who interviewed at Hunter yesterday ask about when decision notifications will go out? I didn't.

Curious because Rutgers has an April 1 decision deadline. I can get an extension at Rutgers but am not sure if I'll need one. 

I asked and they said they're hoping for a week from Wednesday, but that since next week is spring break they're not sure they'll be able to do that. Also said we'll definitely hear within 2-3 weeks... Hope that helps! 

Edited by miss-tic

Hi guys,

I applied to the CCA graduate program in textiles and haven't heard back yet. Could my application still be in review or does this mean a rejection? 

Thanks!

Hey Romashka, I totally sympathize with your feeling here. I think generally, if you haven't heard anything, it means there is reason to hope. Keep in mind that admissions is a tricky business on the college's side too because they might accept a number of people, let's say 10, and out of those 10 only 6 decide to attend. They might want to fill those other 4 spaces, so they would reach out to candidates that hadn't initially been admitted. I am holding out hope until I hold my rejection letters in hand! And furthermore, even when I do get those rejections, there is yet hope when I try again!

about MICA hoffberger notifications, do they email or mail final decision?

I was not interviewed, so I assume rejection, but got no email on Friday (march 15th) 

Hey Romashka, I totally sympathize with your feeling here. I think generally, if you haven't heard anything, it means there is reason to hope. Keep in mind that admissions is a tricky business on the college's side too because they might accept a number of people, let's say 10, and out of those 10 only 6 decide to attend. They might want to fill those other 4 spaces, so they would reach out to candidates that hadn't initially been admitted. I am holding out hope until I hold my rejection letters in hand! And furthermore, even when I do get those rejections, there is yet hope when I try again!

Thank you for the message!

Hi guys,

I applied to the CCA graduate program in textiles and haven't heard back yet. Could my application still be in review or does this mean a rejection? 

Thanks!

I don't know if they conduct interviews. I applied for the design MFA and got in, but was never interviewed, so before today I assumed that I was rejected. No news can certainly mean good news, so hang in there! :)

Edited by kekbatter

Rejection from USC

When did you get the email? Just curious because I haven't heard anything. Last year I received a small letter of rejection from them through snail mail.

Edited by 310LA

about MICA hoffberger notifications, do they email or mail final decision?

I was not interviewed, so I assume rejection, but got no email on Friday (march 15th) 

They notified me on the 15th by phone. I don't know if all the admits are notified through phone, but official admit packs are sent out through the mail I believe on the 15th, so they'd arrive at destinations after the 15th.