MFA 2013 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ten-of-swords

Has anyone heard ANY results (including waitlisting and interviews) for the painting/drawing programs at:

Arizona State, U. Iowa, Herron, or U. Oregon?

I was rejected from U Iowa via email. Feb 26.

Got an official rejection from Cornell today, that just leaves VCU and since I was not interviewed, I can most assuredly write them off. So rejections all around!! Oh well, life goes on. 

I was going to say the same thing as Erpnope. Have you considered illustration? Your work has some interesting elements but seem more illustrative to me, than fine art. I think you'd be a strong candidate for illustration programs. 

Thanks for that! All those posts were so over the top/extreme.

I just figured out that if you can go to settings you can ignore posts from specific users, so I am definitely doing that for when she's let back in

Oh Emoree, my sentiments exactly. I've been accepted to Herron for a program and I've received fee remission... BUT I am still holding out for IUB- not a word from them at all about anything-no waitlisting, no rejection, NOTHING. Im so frustrated because I really really love IUB's MFA programs. The quality of students are just excellent and I wouldn't have to commute.

have you called them?  that's crazy they haven't sent out anything yet, especially if they'd expect you to reply by April 15th.

this was interesting, i talked to financial aid at Herron and she said she wouldn't be able to give me any info on loans until 10 or so business days AFTER admissions sends my info over to them (which might not even happen for a few more days).  Which means i wouldn't know my loan info before the april 15th deadline.  i asked her how that would work, since i need to know my finances are set before i accept, and she said that i can accept anyway and that doesn't obligate me to having to pay anything...  so... what good is accepting by april 15th, then, if it's not binding?  that also makes me think i can accept and then if a spot at IUB opens in a few months i could potentially just go to IUB.  that would be extremely rude, though, wouldn't it?  or wouldn't it? ... 

Hey you... :)

Just wanted to encourage you to look up Deb Sokolow's work. She started out doing these idiosyncratic, Darger-esque illustrations and long explanations/stories to go with them about her imagined worlds and conspiracy theories. But, beyond the 2D work, she puts on really great performances that are informed by her maps and doodles and drawings. It lets you more into her intention and makes it more accessible. 

Thanks for the suggestion! I do enjoy work like that.

Ten of swords, have you thought of going into illustration?

I was going to say the same thing as Erpnope. Have you considered illustration? Your work has some interesting elements but seem more illustrative to me, than fine art. I think you'd be a strong candidate for illustration programs. 

I get the illustration thing a lot, but I have no interest in that. Illustration is inherently commercial or for some sort of purpose, while fine arts is outside of that. There's lots of artists that do illustrative-type work that aren't illustrators, say like Marcel Dzama or Amy Cutler. But really I think people just associate drawing with illustration, and everyone sees painters as fine arts. 

I get the illustration thing a lot, but I have no interest in that. Illustration is inherently commercial or for some sort of purpose, while fine arts is outside of that. There's lots of artists that do illustrative-type work that aren't illustrators, say like Marcel Dzama or Amy Cutler. But really I think people just associate drawing with illustration, and everyone sees painters as fine arts. 

Your most recent work looks more and more illustrative, not because its drawing, but because youre referencing more imagery from traditional fantasy genres and building more narratives.  I still want to see you go back to more unusual substrates and incorporating other materials.  I never thought your work looked illustrative before, but the most recent stuff does seem like illustration to me.

Sorry for beating a dead horse, but it feels like an uphill battle for you to apply for painting. Much of painting discourse has, for a long time, become about the material itself, while your concerns feel narrative. One of my professors explained his notion of illustration vs drawing/painting as an act of portrayal vs a material activation, or to bring a preconceived notion alive vs activating new notions. When I think of illustrative artists, Yoshitomo Nara is the first to come to my mind, but the discussions in his work represent his cultural identity as well as a sly nuanced suggestiveness, rather than something opaque. He also branches out his devilish girls into multimedia, while maintaining his vision. Your work, as well as your statement (purely my opinion) reflects an illustrative approach to narrative and historical reference. Much of the work is humorous, entertaining, strong and clearly considered, but divergent from the direction of painting. 

It's not uncommon for an illustrator to bleed into art dialogue, and vice versa. I feel calling illustration a bluntly 'commercial' practice a bit over generalized. Could you elaborate more one what you think fine arts does 'outside of that?' I think there is a fairly clear distinction between drawing and illustration.

(In typing this I see michaelwebster beat me to a few points :D)

Edited by kwonberry

Waitlisted by SAIC via snail mail today. Sigh.

Do schools usually admit the same number of students they put on their waitlist? Anyone know?

I think most schools admit more students than they actually plan on having in the program because they know they won't get a yes from everyone they admit.  I was waitlisted at Hoffberger last year and they had enough people accept their initial offer they didn't need to take anyone off the waiting list.  I got a rejection letter from SAIC painting today so I'd still rather be in your position, plenty of people get into programs off of waitlists so don't give up yet.

I know I've asked this before, but for people new to the forum has anyone heard from the SAIC fibers program?  It's been a week since the painting program was making their acceptance calls so I'm thinking fibers has probably also notified the people they're accepting but it'd be nice to know for sure.

Really? What you going to do in school when your crit doesn't go as planned. Gonna stop making work and skip the next one?

Tip yor hat and raise your beers!!! Cheers!!! The next round is on me. I'm like the Chicago Bulls in the 90's. I can't be stopped!!!! Hahahahahahaha

If your work is this disjointed and thoughtless than you'll be weeded out the first semester of graduate school. I would love to print this out and show it to USC. My hope, though, is that you have a come- to- jesus moment and realize that your views are narrow, insensitive and grossly ignorant.

I have met many famous artists and theorists who have the right to be as arrogant as you, but are humble and let their work and research level people. I would venture to say you are overcompensating for something that isn't happening in your art.

Stop bullying people. Use your words.

After a period of time reading certain posts and responses to certain posts by a variety of members I would like to share this resource which may or may not be of interest or help to some.

It has helped me when I remember to use it!

http://www.nonviolentcommunication.com/index.htm

a further explanation of how it works

http://www.ayahuasca-wasi.com/english/articles/NVC.pdf

In my opinion, it is important to have the tools to communicate one's point effectively  in life, school, work, whatever....otherwise... well the point may be lost and even if you have great stuff to say, others might not hear it.

:D :D :D

Let's all have a big group hug, forget the "tit for tat", insults, return insults, give up the need to be right(eous), make peace with each other and wish each other well even if we may not always agree.

There is too much anger in the world.

Edited by wilddonkey

If your work is this disjointed and thoughtless than you'll be weeded out the first semester of graduate school. I would love to print this out and show it to USC. My hope, though, is that you have a come- to- jesus moment and realize that your views are narrow, insensitive and grossly ignorant. 

I have met many famous artists and theorists who have the right to be as arrogant as you, but are humble and let their work and research level people. I would venture to say you are overcompensating for something that isn't happening in your art. 

Stop bullying people. Use your words.

If I got into USC I'd be just as stoked. Where have you seen bullying? I highly doubt USC would weed out any of its 8 candidates, they put way to much time into selecting them. 2% acceptance rate. As far as arrogance: you have to have a little to make it in LA, too much of it and your faculty and colleagues will let you know your place right away.

Edited by 310LA

If I got into USC I'd be just as stoked. Where have you seen bullying? I highly doubt USC would weed out any of its 8 candidates, they put way to much time into selecting them. 2% acceptance rate. As far as arrogance: you have to have a little to make it in LA, too much of it and your faculty and colleagues will let you know your place right away.

It's not about bragging about an acceptance. It's about belittling others on the board.

I live in California, albeit Northern California. I'm already in grad school and was scouting for MICA on these forums to see if any new applicants needed encouragement or had questions. I'm glad I got to connect with the few I did. If by "making it", you mean taunting people than I don't understand how that gets anyone ahead—even in LA. It's difficult enough to get people to care about what you have to say without being obnoxious about it. And for what it's worth, if USC has a 2% selectivity, it's because of funding—not because of their superiority in Sculpture. I'm sure it's a fine program...I have a soft spot and have met with Charlie White. But let's be real, there are other strong programs in California.  

The bullying was about posts from a user that have since been deleted by a mod. I'm done addressing bullies on here. I reported her the last two times and was an easy solution. Let the more decide if what a user is posting is appropriate, I'm not about to waste anymore time on them.

It's not about bragging about an acceptance. It's about belittling others on the board.

I live in California, albeit Northern California. I'm already in grad school and was scouting for MICA on these forums to see if any new applicants needed encouragement or had questions. I'm glad I got to connect with the few I did. If by "making it", you mean taunting people than I don't understand how that gets anyone ahead—even in LA. It's difficult enough to get people to care about what you have to say without being obnoxious about it. And for what it's worth, if USC has a 2% selectivity, it's because of funding—not because of their superiority in Sculpture. I'm sure it's a fine program...I have a soft spot and have met with Charlie White. But let's be real, there are other strong programs in California.  

I didn't see the 'belittling' that you did. I actually read her last thread as a joke - and, after reading her other previous threads I wouldn't take any of them that seriously. I was just stoked for her because I'm sitting here waiting for the same after an interview with them. So, I'm not sure where you're going. All the best at MICA! Peace!

Edited by 310LA