Emailing Prof for a Course Outline

I am wondering if it is bad form to email a professor (who you have no connection with) and ask them for a course outline?

From time to time I come across descriptions of courses I am really interested in, and would love to see the reading list.

I have done this with profs from my home university I don't know but I feel that is different, as they know my supervisor, etc.

Thanks.

Go for it.

"Dear Dr. So-and-so. I am starting as a graduate student in the fall and I am interested in possibly taking your course. If you have a course outline already, would you mind please sending it to me? I am curious about what material might be covered. Best regards, raise cain."

I think it is more than appropriate, but I'd be sure to check the professors personal webpage (if he has one) or online where you registered. Sometimes professors post course syllabi and recommended readings along with their class listing on the registration. If not found, make note of that in the email when requesting that information.

I wouldn't hesitate to ask- I have done that several times for courses I was interested in taking. I think at this level it's good to make sure the course is going to give you exactly what you need out of it.

However, sometimes instructors/professors are a bit persnickety about who sees their course syllabus- especially if you are from a different university and/or are not fully interested in taking the course. I have heard that some people get a 'no' from them, as they feel people are fishing for content for their own courses- it's just how some professors will not help a new instructor settle into a course they use to teach.

If they do have a problem and say no, I wouldn't take offence or feel you've done something wrong- it's just them being protective of their work.

Thanks all! I just wanted to clarify: this is for profs that are at different universities and/or in different countries - for courses I will never take with them. Does that make a difference? I definitely don't want them thinking I am fishing for ideas from them and since the academic world is small I don't want to leave a bad impression.

I do check their websites first just in case they do have syllabi, but not all do.

I wouldn't hesitate to ask- I have done that several times for courses I was interested in taking. I think at this level it's good to make sure the course is going to give you exactly what you need out of it.

However, sometimes instructors/professors are a bit persnickety about who sees their course syllabus- especially if you are from a different university and/or are not fully interested in taking the course. I have heard that some people get a 'no' from them, as they feel people are fishing for content for their own courses- it's just how some professors will not help a new instructor settle into a course they use to teach.

If they do have a problem and say no, I wouldn't take offence or feel you've done something wrong- it's just them being protective of their work.

Thanks all! I just wanted to clarify: this is for profs that are at different universities and/or in different countries - for courses I will never take with them. Does that make a difference? I definitely don't want them thinking I am fishing for ideas from them and since the academic world is small I don't want to leave a bad impression.

I do check their websites first just in case they do have syllabi, but not all do.

I really am not sure the politics/etiquette around this.

I have heard, not experience, this. A student in my program was complaining how she just wanted a syllabus to help her fill in a gap with her comprehensive reading list, so she emailed a professor in a course she felt would do this and they said no, but would gladly talk to her and see if the class was right for her and suggest potential readings. Also, a friend of mine 2 years ago began a teaching position - she had come out of her MSc and had never taught before. She was handed 2-3 courses to teach and asked the previous instructor if she could see her course outlines and the professor said no - I imagine this was more interpersonal and departmental politics...this is a different situation, but I think is a bit telling how some professors view the work they put into their courses.

I think if you approach them in a way that says, "I am interested in this topic, and came across your course which sounds very interesting and connects well with my topic. I am wondering if I could perhaps see a course outline to see what you recommend students reading to get a better understanding"...it's totally fine!

I am sure more than most would gladly send you this information if you are clear who you are, who you work with, what your project is, and why you want the information. I just wanted to give you a heads up, that some people can be odd about the information they share!

Edited by Dal PhDer